Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I do use a stand that hangs the brush with the handle up and business end down. I've used it for about 30 years. As I recall, it wasn't expensive and I suspect it has prolonged the life of my brush. It's a very simple plastic deal, but I have no idea now where I got it.
I too use a stand that I got at Caswell-Masey. It holds both the razor and brush. As far as shaving cream goes. I use the Head Blade Head lube shaving lotion. It is great not only for "scraping the grape" or head shaving, but work great on the face. I put a little on my shaving brush and then lather the head and face up.

Regards

Kirk H.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Speaking of lather,this stuff is great.Not that hard to find yet,but getting harder.

5625732603_e216375efa_b.jpg

Dulmit

New in Town
I use a Gillete Fatboy. The blades are so darn cheap it doesn't matter. For soap I use Mug or any other easily available brand. I find that it is less about the gear and more about preparation and taking your time. I like that travel set seems very handy.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Never had good results using mug soap cakes.(dries my skin out big time) I like the smell of Barbasol and there's less work envolved. Shaving to me is basically a chore, so quickly and painlessly is how I prefer to get it done.
I use the Gillette Good News for the first two passes. Then a Mach 3 for the final pass and tough spots. The staight razor I use mostly to shape the side burns and create a fresh arch around the ears every 10 days or so in between Barbershop visits. Then finish it off with some Hawleywood's No. 9 Bay Rum and clove aftershave.

003-1.jpg

Blooze

Familiar Face
I usually use some combination of these (this is part of my shave den), although the last several days I've been using my new to me Schick G type. Lather up with an Omega boar (I think I prefer the boar over badger so far) and some Proraso, Mama Bear's, or C&E soap and go for a three pass shave. Finish with some 4711, AV Musk, or Barbasol Pacific Rush AS.

5670570627_21a998142a_z.jpg

5647554247_831f081c48_z.jpg

Jan

One of the Regulars
Can anyone link me to a site with some straight razors? I've found quite a few vintage ones, but I'm not sure if I feel ok shaving with someones pre-used straight razor. Something about it feels off, for a lack of better words.

I've also found a couple from a surplus shop, but I'd rather buy from a site/store that specializes in straight razors, rather than BDUs and camping gear.

mrtman

Familiar Face
Can anyone link me to a site with some straight razors? I've found quite a few vintage ones, but I'm not sure if I feel ok shaving with someones pre-used straight razor. Something about it feels off, for a lack of better words.

I've also found a couple from a surplus shop, but I'd rather buy from a site/store that specializes in straight razors, rather than BDUs and camping gear.

Hello, go to straight razor designs...just google it...they have some great razors at a very reasonable price.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Big thanks for that link. Checking everything out and I've definitely found some stuff I'm going to invest in!

But I can't turn down crazy stuff like this.

876c25ea6e0db9ef9ec66213931f3e2f.image.750x298.jpg

I just like these kinds of crazy things, that look like they shouldn't get the job done, but do...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21