Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

ortega76

Practically Family
I'm a fan of Sharps products. Their line keeps my skin clean, smooth and moisturized. Target has started to carry the line. In the occasions that I cannot get my hands on the stuff, I'll use American Crew. I like packaged systems for their convenience. Helps ensure a great shave on a weary Monday morning.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Am repeating a previous post of mine from October of last year, but it bears a second post given the reluctance of some to invest in a badger brush:

I wouldn't waste my time on boar or synthetic bristle brushes...they just don't hold the soap or lather as well as a badger brush does. Despite conventional wisdom, you also don't need to spend a lot for a decent badger brush. I landed on a site for Tweezerman and picked up a very servicable badger brush for $10. I have used it nearly every day for the past year and it still looks like new.

Still using it, still in great shape, but now $15.00. Still a great value for a real badger hair brush!

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
zach,

I dont know much about the valet razors. there were many brands out there including sears craftsman ! a lot of them were single edge or "box cutter" type blades. even though you wouldn't use a box cutter razor to actually shave with.

BRUSHES: a person could spend a fortune on brushes. One gentleman on the shaving forums has over 89 high quality brushes. quite a display. some of these cost him between 200 and 400 bucks. some not quite that much.

you can get high quality custom brushes, too.

I have heard good things about your tweezerman. I will not put it down, just add that some of the other brushes makes shaving such a luxury and without spending a fortune.

all brushes will do the same thing-work the lather on your face and soften your whiskers...period. some may like a softer brush while others like a firmer feel to apply to his face. there are countless threads over at the shaving forums to bear the differences.

I believe that the soap/brush is more important than the razor itself. I use a Double Edge myself, but others who can use a mach3 without irritation can improve thier shaves, just by using a better soap/cream than a can of foam !!!! I may persuade someone to switch to a DE for lower cost and a great shave, but if a person gets a great shave with a m3, so be it.

you're definately one step ahead of everyone by using a brush. what soaps or creams do you use ? do you use a aftershave balm or skin food ?

mark the shoeshine boy

dr greg

One Too Many
the hard way

I don't use this but like it anyway
dscf04004jy.jpg
dscf03985rz.jpg

Bargepole

New in Town
Just Like Grandpa...

...I am a Trumper's man (even to the extent of getting my hair cut in their Curzon Street barbershop -- and any Lounge visitors to London really ought to make a pilgrimage there).

Trumper's Violet shaving cream
Chubby #2 Super Badger brush
Ordinary three-piece bolt-together-and-cut-your-thumb-in-the-process Merkur razor
Trumper's Coral Skin Food (I don't think my face is a vegetarian but they don't do Beef Skin Food).
Splosh of Eucris on the hair.

Good to go.

And as everyone here will understand, I get a great deal of pleasure shaving like my grandfather (born 1888), whom I revered, did. 99% of the time, standing in front of the bathroom mirror, I am aware of carrying something on. Not a yearning for the Golden Age, but a pleasure, I think, in some sort of continuity, however illusory.

Interesting, on that subject, that advertisements in the 30s and 40s used to sell their stuff (tobacco, whisky, shaving kit etc) on the grounds that it was just like one's forebears used to use. (Or, in one case -- Three Nuns tobacco -- that it was what the Vicar smoked.) Imagine trying that one now...

(Incidentally, I tried the Merkur Vision. Lovely thing, shave from hell. Maybe my lack of technique, but... OW.)

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Walmart has Personna double edge blades. They're actually pretty decent blades, and extremely cheap.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Sources

You can get good German Merkur blades from classicshaving.com
You can get decent blades at your local drug chain.
You can get large quantities from this source.

Good luck!

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Bargepole said:
...I am a Trumper's man (even to the extent of getting my hair cut in their Curzon Street barbershop -- and any Lounge visitors to London really ought to make a pilgrimage there).

Trumper's Violet shaving cream
Chubby #2 Super Badger brush
Ordinary three-piece bolt-together-and-cut-your-thumb-in-the-process Merkur razor
Trumper's Coral Skin Food (I don't think my face is a vegetarian but they don't do Beef Skin Food).
Splosh of Eucris on the hair.

Good to go.

And as everyone here will understand, I get a great deal of pleasure shaving like my grandfather (born 1888), whom I revered, did. 99% of the time, standing in front of the bathroom mirror, I am aware of carrying something on. Not a yearning for the Golden Age, but a pleasure, I think, in some sort of continuity, however illusory.

Interesting, on that subject, that advertisements in the 30s and 40s used to sell their stuff (tobacco, whisky, shaving kit etc) on the grounds that it was just like one's forebears used to use. (Or, in one case -- Three Nuns tobacco -- that it was what the Vicar smoked.) Imagine trying that one now...

(Incidentally, I tried the Merkur Vision. Lovely thing, shave from hell. Maybe my lack of technique, but... OW.)

'Three Nuns - The Tobacco Of Curious Cut'

macawber

Familiar Face
Indy Bill wrote

I did find someone selling "Derby Extra" safety blades in a lot of 100, but it's not 'buy it now'. Has anyone here ever used them?

I use them and there very good.

Presently I use a Merkur "Futur" with Feather DE blades, the best blade I have ever tried. I have a Vulfix badger brush and use Castle Forbes lavender shave cream or Coates products.

I have several straights but now only use my Feather "Artist" with Super Pro blades.

Shaving is a real pleasure now, and to finish I use Trumpers Skin Food as an aftershave.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
- A 1920s-era gelette gold-plated safety razor
- Merkur blades (I have a packet of Feather blades to try)
- Trumpers Rose shaving soap in a wooden bowl
- Badger brush
- Alum block
- Trumpers Extract of Limes after shave (occasionally Trumpers Astor)
- A bit of Vitalis for the hair

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
As I posted earlier in this thread, my husband is interested in vintage shaving. Last Christmas I purchased some of the Pre de Provence products for him - the soap and the brush:

http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/page438.html

He has been using them for about 2 months and probably has about 2 months' use left on the soap. We are not sure if that brush is badger or boar, though. He's also used the Surrey soap and brush, and says the Surrey soap is quite creamy, and he likes it.

We have about 20 vintage safety razors total. The two he has selected for actual use are a Gem Micromatic and an Ever-Ready which is quite ornate and we are guessing from the 1920s-30s:

http://i6.tinypic.com/1zdxirm.jpg

So far we haven't bought any new blades for use, only the vintage packages we've found, so we need to look for some new blades locally. Also are open to suggestions on aftershave products, particularly anything for sensitive skin that won't burn!

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
The Reno Kid said:
- Merkur blades (I have a packet of Feather blades to try)

Update: Over the last several weeks, I have been doing a head-to-head comparison between the Merkur blades and the Feathers. I have found the Feather blades to be superior, at least on my skin. I have a fairly tough beard with tender skin and I get get a noticeably better shave with the Feathers. They get closer, without the minor razor burn I sometimes get with Merkurs. Also, I rarely get nicks. I'm finding that I don't have to press as hard to get a good close shave. I realize this is a highly individual thing, but I recommend all you safety-razor guys out there give Feathers a try. I got mine from ClassicShaving.com but I've seen them in other places as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points