What do you use to shave?

Discussion in 'Skills and Smarts' started by Bebop, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Sorry, loungers, as much as I love the old open-combs, but the Gillette Blue II plus disposable is just my favorite. SHARP, gentle, lasting four shaves, handy, damn cheap (1,99 EUR).

These ones are definitely no waste of ressources! :)

2. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Five drops of grape oil rubbed into cheeks and a Gillette Mach 3. I get a month from the blade.

Turnip likes this.
  3. aihpcfl

aihpcfl New in Town

Razor: Karve, brass, open comb D-plate
    Blade: Depends, but favorites are Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, also Feather
    Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush: Depends, often silver tip badger, sometimes pure badger, boar or synthetic once in a while
    Aftershave: It would be Dominica Bay Rum if it was available, otherwise any simple Bay Rum

4. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Ka-Bar

Robieman likes this.
  5. S.Fox

S.Fox New in Town

I am currently using a parker 61R safety razor with feather blades, I also highly recommend using the proraso line of shaving soaps and balms.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  6. sal

sal One of the Regulars

Vintage Gillette safety, feather or made in Israel Persona blades, silver Badger brush and a variety of creams from Trumper or Trufitt and Hill. Ending with Coral skin food

Trenchfriend likes this.
  7. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Today, another "experiment":

Using usual glycerine (transparent) barsoap, instead of shavesoap. And it freakin' worked! I had the idea, that the creamy lather of glycerine barsoap could be nearly same efficient as lather from shavesoap. And it is!

I used my great "massaging-effective" basic greybadger brush, as normally. The only difference to usual shavesoap was, that I had to lather new for every round. But no problem. :)

St.Ignatz likes this.
  8. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Mühle synthetic brush, Mühle Gilette Mach3 holder, Golddachs soap and Dior EauSauvage aftershave.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Kirkland brand disposable triple blade heads and what ever soap is in the shower dish.

10. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

How's the gentleness of the Kirkland blades?

In Germany, all the storebrand cartridge-razors are so horrible!

11. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I switched permanently to them when I did not notice any difference between Kirkland (Costco) and the much more expensive Gillette Mach3 blades.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  12. M Brown

M Brown One of the Regulars

shave?
    haven't shaved since Feb.
    but when I get back to it, I'll use a safety razor, & mug o soap foam

Trenchfriend likes this.
  13. Horseoak

Horseoak Familiar Face

My preferred method is Double Edge Merkur and a Tallow based Soap. For aftershave, I choose Stirling Soap Company in Glacial Menthol E609A3AF-AB62-4BC2-B73D-CCC1C6E6BFF9.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    robrinay and Trenchfriend like this.
  14. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Is the Gillette Blue II plus discontinued?? o_O

I send Gillette an e-mail and now I'm waiting.

15. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

LOUNGERS!!

I'm testing the "King C. Gillette" DE blades (Made in Russia), for the first time.
    I took my gentle storebrand TTO (Baili TTO) and my beloved transparent (glycerine) body soap and of course my greybadger brush.

This DE blade is def. solid sharp, but NOT gentle!

This blade is NOT FOR ROOKIES!

I have some nicks, mostly around my chin, but not serious ones. I did absolutely right to handle this blade with respect! :) And I just can recommend you to use a gentle DE razor with this blade, too!

PS:
    As comparison, I will try again the classic "german" Wilkinson Sword DE blades, the next time on the same TTO razor. :)

Horseoak likes this.
  16. Horseoak

Horseoak Familiar Face

I like an aggressive razor for heavy growth. How do they compare to a feather blade?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  17. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

I never had the Feather DE blades.

18. Edward

Edward Bartender

Recently, I've mostly been using my DE handles from The Chap, nicely balanced. I hope Gustav does an open comb version at some point. I'm also using my Chap branded soaps and corresponding after shave balms - Flanneur, and Raffish. The former is a nice, light fragrance with juniper and citrus notes, the latter has a little more musk for the evening. I have never been one for after shave, but these balms work as well as an alum block and have a very subtle fragrance which I like. (I stopped wearing actual aftershave when I was old enough to shave regularly.)

Still using a mach 3 over the top of my head, but I have to admit for convenience sake I am tempted to go over to something electric. I see a lot of options on the market, but I'm wary; my first "razor" was an eighties electric Phillishave, but it never got me a clean facial shave. Nothing gets my face as clean as a DE and I won't give that up, but the Phillishave left me with noticeable stubble! I'd be interested to know about any fellow head-shavers experience with electrics, as it'd be nice to save time on the head for a proper three-shave pass on the face every morning.

Horseoak and Trenchfriend like this.
  19. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

Edward's question is timely. I'm traditionally a wet shaver and haven't used an electric razor since I was a teenager, but working from home has affected my grooming habits and I'd like to buy one to kinda keep the stubble short.

20. Shibumi

Shibumi New in Town

Merry Christmas all,

Merkur long handle DE
    Col. Conk soap
    Feather or Astra blades
    Finish with Osage Rub