Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Sorry, loungers, as much as I love the old open-combs, but the Gillette Blue II plus disposable is just my favorite. SHARP, gentle, lasting four shaves, handy, damn cheap (1,99 EUR).

These ones are definitely no waste of ressources! :)

aihpcfl

New in Town
Razor: Karve, brass, open comb D-plate
Blade: Depends, but favorites are Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, also Feather
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Depends, often silver tip badger, sometimes pure badger, boar or synthetic once in a while
Aftershave: It would be Dominica Bay Rum if it was available, otherwise any simple Bay Rum

S.Fox

New in Town
I am currently using a parker 61R safety razor with feather blades, I also highly recommend using the proraso line of shaving soaps and balms.

Today, another "experiment":

Using usual glycerine (transparent) barsoap, instead of shavesoap. And it freakin' worked! I had the idea, that the creamy lather of glycerine barsoap could be nearly same efficient as lather from shavesoap. And it is!

I used my great "massaging-effective" basic greybadger brush, as normally. The only difference to usual shavesoap was, that I had to lather new for every round. But no problem. :)

Horseoak

Familiar Face
My preferred method is Double Edge Merkur and a Tallow based Soap. For aftershave, I choose Stirling Soap Company in Glacial Menthol
E609A3AF-AB62-4BC2-B73D-CCC1C6E6BFF9.jpeg

Last edited:
LOUNGERS!!

I'm testing the "King C. Gillette" DE blades (Made in Russia), for the first time.
I took my gentle storebrand TTO (Baili TTO) and my beloved transparent (glycerine) body soap and of course my greybadger brush.

This DE blade is def. solid sharp, but NOT gentle!

This blade is NOT FOR ROOKIES!

I have some nicks, mostly around my chin, but not serious ones. I did absolutely right to handle this blade with respect! :) And I just can recommend you to use a gentle DE razor with this blade, too!

PS:
As comparison, I will try again the classic "german" Wilkinson Sword DE blades, the next time on the same TTO razor. :)

Horseoak

Familiar Face
LOUNGERS!!

I'm testing the "King C. Gillette" DE blades (Made in Russia), for the first time.
I took my gentle storebrand TTO (Baili TTO) and my beloved transparent (glycerine) body soap and of course my greybadger brush.

This DE blade is def. solid sharp, but NOT gentle!

This blade is NOT FOR ROOKIES!

I have some nicks, mostly around my chin, but not serious ones. I did absolutely right to handle this blade with respect! :) And I just can recommend you to use a gentle DE razor with this blade, too!

PS:
As comparison, I will try again the classic "german" Wilkinson Sword DE blades, the next time on the same TTO razor. :)

I like an aggressive razor for heavy growth. How do they compare to a feather blade?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Recently, I've mostly been using my DE handles from The Chap, nicely balanced. I hope Gustav does an open comb version at some point. I'm also using my Chap branded soaps and corresponding after shave balms - Flanneur, and Raffish. The former is a nice, light fragrance with juniper and citrus notes, the latter has a little more musk for the evening. I have never been one for after shave, but these balms work as well as an alum block and have a very subtle fragrance which I like. (I stopped wearing actual aftershave when I was old enough to shave regularly.)

Still using a mach 3 over the top of my head, but I have to admit for convenience sake I am tempted to go over to something electric. I see a lot of options on the market, but I'm wary; my first "razor" was an eighties electric Phillishave, but it never got me a clean facial shave. Nothing gets my face as clean as a DE and I won't give that up, but the Phillishave left me with noticeable stubble! I'd be interested to know about any fellow head-shavers experience with electrics, as it'd be nice to save time on the head for a proper three-shave pass on the face every morning.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Edward's question is timely. I'm traditionally a wet shaver and haven't used an electric razor since I was a teenager, but working from home has affected my grooming habits and I'd like to buy one to kinda keep the stubble short.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot