Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Those old travelling kits are ten for a penny, but they're very nice. I always thought about buying one, but then I'd have no idea what to do with it, once I bought it. I don't travel enough to really justify having one.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
i find them quite useful as if you remember the kit you remember everything as long as you put stuff back in! I am looking for a full leather cased one that contains shaving washing and manicure items NOS if possible.... We go away quite a bit to country hotels and abroad usually driving so weights not an issue.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
nice story and simple instruction to follow, i totally agree. i once had an electric braun shaver in the army be-cause you could run over the face with it without a mirror. helpful to not fail a daily shave check at last minute. But it never really felt clean. Stuck for a while with safety razors I decided to quit out of this 3 blade + nonsense. (now they got 5 blades ;-)) I tried to explain buying a gillette adjustable with cost issues but finally it went into a nice costly hobby.

Since more than a year now I single use the straight razor and once used to it there is no comeback.

If you want to see a very smooth straight razor shave watch this dude.

Nice video. I started using a straight razor when I was 22, and after some practice, I don't find it that difficult. Actually, I get fewer cuts with a straight razor than a cartridge razor. I can shave with a straight blade with no mirror if I need to, but a mirror makes things easier. Any Barber I go to here in Vietnam will use a straight razor if I ask for a shave, so the "art" is very alive and well in the far east.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Dave, go to www.gillettedatecodes.com and that site has everything you need to date your razor. Under the razor you will see a letter on one side and a number opposite. The letters and numbers tell you what year and what quarter of that year the razor was produced.

Danny

Well, I finally got around to this. It appears I have a Gillette Tech. It is coded "K" and "1", which corresponds to the first quarter of either 1940 or 1965. I'm not sure if I'm reading the chart right, but I think the presence of a bar guard instead of a comb guard means mine is from 1965.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I just bought a Merkur 34C - I used DE razors 25 years ago but they always shredded my jaw. I've been very happy with my Braun electric for years. Does the job in under 3 minutes and you can watch telly at the same time. I hate any rituals that involve washing or preparation, but I also like leaving my facial hair to grow for a few days and an electric and cartridge razor finds that hard to deal with. We shall see - since I don't take shaving seriously - I may have wasted $70.00.

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
I have very thick wiry facial hair, a-la Desperate Dan, and I spent a long time (from my teens to my late 30s) looking for that perfect shave. Then for Christmas in 2010, my girlfriend gave me a Merkur Adjustable. It's absolutely the best razor I've ever used. To get the best out of it I use Feather double edged blades, a Simpson's "Wee Scot" badger brush and either Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap or Penhalligon's English Fern Shaving Soap. I'll never go back to over-priced, wasteful (and uncomfortable!) cartridge razors. I'd like to give straight razors a go at some point, but I'm not sure I could keep up the maintenance of one.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I just bought a Merkur 34C - I used DE razors 25 years ago but they always shredded my jaw. I've been very happy with my Braun electric for years. Does the job in under 3 minutes and you can watch telly at the same time. I hate any rituals that involve washing or preparation, but I also like leaving my facial hair to grow for a few days and an electric and cartridge razor finds that hard to deal with. We shall see - since I don't take shaving seriously - I may have wasted $70.00.

First shave with a DE in a couple of decades. Merkur did a reasonable job - smoothish. My technique will need refining. Did two passes - with grain and then across and against grain in neck. No way will I do three passes. Life's too short. A few small cuts mainly around the neck. Some abrasion but nothing serious. Face is a bit red. Took about 10 minutes which is too long. We will see.

John J

Familiar Face
well to keep this going .

I wet shave with a badger brush (super fine) my favorite razor is a Merkur Slant with japanese feather blades. as for soap I use a bunch of different ones, and Most are not shaving soaps per say.

my favorite soap is a oatmeal soap That I buy at the health food store.

for after shave I typically use an Alum block (old school).

"John"

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Still getting lots of small knicks,cuts. The Merkur razor seems okay but is very small in the hand. It's a close shave but the skin goes red and stings for some time and I bleed. This is even after steam towels, hot water a good Palmolive shave stick, badger brush, Arrow blades and very light strokes. Will give it two more weeks. But the electric is looking tempting again -with it I can watch telly and not even have to concentrate on the job.

DougC

Practically Family
I was in the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport recently and the Admiral's club had samples of "the Perfect Shave" from the Art of Shaving. Included is a oil packet, shaving cream and lotion. I've used it two days now and really like it. Also included is a $25 coupon-kinda makes me scared to go to the store and buy anything...

Last edited:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Still getting lots of small knicks,cuts. The Merkur razor seems okay but is very small in the hand. It's a close shave but the skin goes red and stings for some time and I bleed. This is even after steam towels, hot water a good Palmolive shave stick, badger brush, Arrow blades and very light strokes. Will give it two more weeks. But the electric is looking tempting again -with it I can watch telly and not even have to concentrate on the job.

Maybe try a pre-shave oil? And make sure you're not pressing down - let the weight of the razor do the work.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Razor-rash/bumps, cuts and bleeding are caused by...

- Blunt blades.
- Improper technique (wrong angle, too much force/pressure).
- Improper preparation.

A D.E. blade, unless it's sharpened over again, will last for about a week.

Feraud

Bartender
There is an Art of Shaving in Grand Central Terminal. For all their crowing about joining the "brotherhood of shaving" they have a lame selection of goods.

To anyone in the NYC area I strongly recommend either of the two Pasteur Pharmacy locations. I buy all my shaving supplies there.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

- Blunt blades.
- Improper preparation.

No. Brand new blade, good technique - no pressure and lengthy preparation. Some people just aren't suited to DE shaving. By dad - who is 90 used a DE for 40 years. Cut himself all the time. Never enjoyed shaving until he went electric. I'll keep trying but I suspect that the amount of time needed to do this and the focus needed will eventually tick me off.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
As most people are now a days brainwashed into using a'5 blades'system, i used to find shaving a chore. then I remembered my father and grandfathers shaving routines.My Father used a DE and my Grandfather's a straight.For ease i choose a DE. I use a Muhle DE safety razor.Blades I find Murker a bit severe but like derby.i use a good badger brush a tub of soap that i bought from the chap magazine.and also a Muhle shaving bowl now i find daily shaving a joy! hey it may take slightly longer but to be honest i take pity in those that complain
never had a closer shave.

- Blunt blades.
- Improper preparation.

I change blades about every 3 or 4 shaves. They're so cheap, there's no reason to use a dull blade.

And I agree...if the DE is tearing your face up, you're probably doing something wrong.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I change blades about every 3 or 4 shaves. They're so cheap, there's no reason to use a dull blade.

And I agree...if the DE is tearing your face up, you're probably doing something wrong.

I agree. I don't even attempt to use a DE blade to the end. Typically three shaves and change blades. The thing that is most typically done wrong is to apply too much pressure. Just use the weight of the razor itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy