Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

arguscanis

New in Town
justrite razor, selfmade maple and silvertip premium badger brush, Taylors of Bond St, Lavender.

finished with Muelhen’s 4711
336ADA91-3ACB-4555-8C08-9B4985060888.jpeg

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
For daily use I use a Gillette Fatboy safety razor, Proraso shave cream and preshave balm. Run it wet and apply cream with a badger brush. If I have the time or want to scare/show off I have an English straight razor made pre-1895.

Just for fun:
I tried the Wilkinson Classic cartridge straightrazor for the first time.

But cartridge straightrazors will never be really working for me. My face ist just too curvy and uneven.

Gave the Wilkinson cartridge straightrazor a second try.

Much better!
But still far away from optimum. The fact, that straightrazors are too impractical, would never change.

Attachments

• IMGP9427.JPG
    IMGP9427.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGP9428.JPG
    IMGP9428.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
OLD SPICE ORIGINAL after shave lotion premiere in my bathroom!

Peope sometimes say, that OS is relatively sweet, but I can't find much sweetness. A dry, spicy barbershop with some pepper and just a little breeze of cinnamon.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Just got this Aristocrat in and WOW!

Best shave I've gotten, been using a Merkur before this and I don't know if it was the different blades or the razor, one of the nicest shaves I've had so far. Using Barrister and Mann Seville and Astra blades.

Also very minty condition, I paid big bucks for this one but I'm sure it's only been used a few times considering how clean and nice it is.

372382794_317113817445467_1706618689182288961_n.jpg

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I just cleaned this one up, will try a shave with this one in a few days. Gillette Slim Adjustable "New Aristocrat" for Japanese market. Will you believe that this one only cost me $15! Far better condition than I had expected from the pictures I saw when I bought it. The blade the original owner used was still left in the razor so it had a tiny bit of crud in there. Still not sure which blades I like most, so far I've tried Feather, Merkur, Wilkinson Sword and Astra, of those I think I prefer the Merkur and Astra, have a few more that I'll try out.

Very happy with these two, on the hunt for something older and with more heft now.

371319960_832233935069861_4488611614376171877_n.jpg

DeaconKC

One Too Many
A couple of very nice finds gents. I have grown fond of Derbt blades. Not quite as sharp as the Feathers, but more consistent than the Merkurs. I also check the Dollar Store's blades, the ones made in Israel deliver superb shaves, but avoid the made in USA ones.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
heresy trigger warning...

I have at this point basically tired of running blades over my face to shave, even safety razors, not to mention constant $$$, so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a brand/model of electric shaver? I'm thinking plug-in (no rechargable batteries, etc) at modest cost, reasonable reliability. Thanks.

heresy trigger warning...

I have at this point basically tired of running blades over my face to shave, even safety razors, not to mention constant $$$, so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a brand/model of electric shaver? I'm thinking plug-in (no rechargable batteries, etc) at modest cost, reasonable reliability. Thanks.
Cable-only electric, woohoo, good question.

But could an alternative way be interesting for you?
>>> A simple Philishave hair cutter, comb removed and just trim after 4/5 days down to "3DB".
These cheapies including necessary mechanic oil work for decades, I tell you!

Last edited:

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I used to use either Norelco or Braun. Both lasted a long time, but their shaves are not up to blades and I had constant irritation under my neck from either. The corded ones will last forever, the chargeable ones for a couple of years.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I used to use either Norelco or Braun. Both lasted a long time, but their shaves are not up to blades and I had constant irritation under my neck from either. The corded ones will last forever, the chargeable ones for a couple of years.
Thanks for the suggestions. I came across this article which covers a few options:

https://shavercheck.com/corded-electric-shavers/

What I did for the interim was buy a Wikinson double-edge safety razor and blades, and it works quite well once I got used to it, doing a much closer shave than disposable safety razors, although it takes longer. And it requires good shaving cream which I use now that it's hard to find cakes at least where I live. This will serve well and give me time to find a corded shaver.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Suggest a replacement for Williams Mug Shaving Soap?

I have used Williams shaving soap for years (well, actually decades). It worked fine, was reasonably priced, and didn't have a perfume smell. A few years ago the local drugstore chain quit carrying it, so I started ordering it online (half a dozen or so at a time).
Recently I noticed that I only had one left, so I went to order some more. It seems that Williams Mug Shaving Soap has been discontinued, and the ones that are available are way over-priced.
Could someone suggest a replacement shaving soap for mug use? No smell and reasonably priced would be preferred.

thanks,
Don
I still have a few boxes of Williams jammed in the back of my bathroom cabinets. I remember not finding it several years ago and figured it just wasn't popular enough to stock, but I'm also not surprised that it's been discontinued. What I use now is some Nivea shaving cream (below). I squirt a blob into a small glass bowl and use my shaving brush to make a lather with it. I find it's a lot better than the Williams stuff, easily making a thick lather that lubricates my face for the shaver and has significantly diminished skin irritation, and also seems to help small nicks close quicker. Overall, much much better (for me at least).

NIVEA MEN Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream 1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko