Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Viggen

New in Town
A Merkur double-edge is what I stay with. This is one source.
http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/522941.htm

I tried electrics, various types, the new blades, etc., and after years of trial and error I came back to a good double-edge blade, a Merkur.
Now for the difference. I use Mineral Oil instead of shaving cream. For quite a while I used a Badger Brush and Musco Real shaving cream. It was better than the foam in a can garbage, much better, but still the face felt used after shaving. I then switched to using Mineral Oil, regular Mineral Oil that you get an any drug store and most grocery stores. A bottle lasts a very long time, which is nice.
The shaving with Mineral Oil or anything else is best done after a shower or bath when the whiskers are softest.
The process:
1.Put Mineral Oil on areas to be shaved, the face.
2. Shave with the grain on the first pass. Don't go fast.
3. Go against the grain on areas that grow in non-conforming directions.
4. Rise with warm water and pat dry.
5. Maybe apply some moisturizer - I borrow some Invision from they wife. She says it's good stuff.

If you shave without the shower it's not nearly as smooth going.

So it's a bit of a mix between traditional and non-traditional. If you don't use a double-edge go with a straight-razor and learn how to use that. If you want a good shave stay away from the newer stuff.
Very Important: When you clean up the razor rinse and wipe it clean/dry then apply a light coat of mineral oil on the edges. They will last a long time.
No fancy pictures, sorry. But do buy something worth shaving with.

Schofields

Familiar Face
many things.

1911 gem jr.

singleedge017.jpg

1908 gem jr.

singleedge010.jpg

1908 ever ready

R004.jpg

1905 gillette double ring

DSC_1668.jpg

1898 gem

414f_1-1.jpg

lately though ive been using a late 1910s - early 1920s valet auto strop.

1Auto%20Strop%20B1%202a.JPG

Auto%20Strop%20Taper%20USA%201c.JPG

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Been using Techs this week and discovered I have several. A gold Ball end and a gold Fat handle, a black WW2 issue, An aluminum fat handle and a Tech head on a Cooncatbob handle. All are such gentle, smooth shavers, it is amazing.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
I've been wanting to learn to use a straight razor for a long time but just now took the plunge and bought a Dovo 5/8 roundtip. Up to now I've used a Mach3 with a brush and Mama Bears shaving soap. This weekend I'm going to try the Dovo. If I dont bleed to death, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Did your dad teach you to shave?

Feraud said:
My fifteen year old is a safety razor user. He makes his old man proud.
Actually, that does bring up a subject for every guy as to whether or not your dad was able to take the time to teach you to shave.

Mine did when I was about 14 or 15. How to use a double edge and later how to use the Norelco Triple header electric.

Feraud

Bartender
Yes I did John. When my son was little and would have a bath I put shaving cream on his face and let him "shave" it off with an empty razor. Didn't every boy love doing that? :)
The safety razor he uses belonged to my dad.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Yup, my Dad taught me how to shave too. I've got his old Gillette SuperSpeed and use it once in a while still. I just picked up a replacement for my first razor [vanished long ago] a Schick Stick Shift. Funky and just what a 24 year old boy would love.

JEEP

Practically Family
I have both from a sampler pack. I have only tried the Personna blades so far; they are rather sharp and very smooth, very nice blades, but a little too unforgiving for my taste. I believe that I, given time and more experience, will like them later on.
The Dorcos should be very forgiving, but most consider them not to be sharp enough.

Regards.

Jakob

freebird

Practically Family
received these in the mail, an 8/8 Timor Hamburg Ring re-scaled in Leopardwood and a 7/8 Wade & Butcher restored and re-scaled in Ziricote.

razors001.jpg

razors002.jpg

razors003.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy