Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What era of dress or style doyou prefer?

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I'm with Barbigirl

I love the 1930s to 1940s in general.
I prefer attached collars on shirts so '20s and before are out. I like good width in lapels and hat brims. That is all for daily wear.
However I do like Edwardian style and I thought the men from U.N.C.L.E. looked great in the 1960s.

Sincerely,
The WOLF

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
It´s the late 30s to the late 50s for me. The clothes were so glamourous and gloryfying the female curves. I particulary like some stuff from the 60s, too, but it´s not too much.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
When I reach into my closet 7 out of 10 I get my A2 jacket out.
I've got the IRVIN for cold weather and open car.

Even got a paratroopers jacket from the Band of Brothers production.

And I have a RAF battledress jacket in order.....must be the 40s!;)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Matt isn't wrong with "2006", of course, but on a more plain level, I'd say

1937-39

less narrowly, 1934-41

I do like certain other sartorial periods as well, but wouldn't overmix them. And though I'm an urban suit wearer, I share certain gentlemen's liking of rural tweed, unless it's too much focussed on killing animals.

Naama

Practically Family
I'm a late 20's early 30's girl! But at the moment, somehow, I most often look more early 30's I guess....

Naama

lindylady

A-List Customer
40s-50s

I love the beautiful detailing on women's evening clothes. Sailor pants from the 40s, expertly cut suits- lovely! I also adore the full-skirted look of the fifties.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Though the sixties wasn't on your list, I dig anywhere from 1920-1968. My slang tends to pull from anywhere in those decades, though for style of dress I'm a fifties kind of gal. I find the women's clothing in the sixties to be too gregarious and the forties too...something. I can't put my finger on it. But the fifties aren't too extreme nor too rationed, just right.

L_H

Middle 30s. pre-drape! And then the early-middle 60s, the slim mod cut, pre psychedelia stuff (post-drape!). Also the casual gear of the early 60s had a very 30s vibe to it; i guess the brief resurgence of folk music and obsession with Woody Guthrie-type depression era songs drove this?

bk

czack

One of the Regulars
You skipped a few decades

John in Covina said:
What are you shooting for in your favorite era?
20's
30's
40's
50's

What is the appeal?
Do you have a film example you like to go by?

Is the mid-70s lounge lizard look out of the scope of this forum?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have only been wearing vintage for a year. In that year I've tried everything from the late 1800's through the 1940's. It was more of experimentation that led me to finally realize that my favorite era for ladies clothes is the 1930's, with the 40's trailing not far behind. The 30's had a wonderful mix of class, glamour and seduction that can be portrayed in many different ways. I think it's the era that makes most men say "wow". The styles for women are very flattering, for all different figures. I think that women just looked incredibly classy, and everything had a hint of sex appeal. Women just really looked like well put together women.

czack

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Not at all -- we worship the mid-'70s lounge lizard look. All of us. All of the time. Forever. By golly, you didn't know this? Must be a newbie.

I'm sensing sarcasm here.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I first began to wear vintage about 11 years ago and at that time I went for the 50s. Since then I've worn 30s and 40s too, yet I always seem to go back to the 50s. I feel comfortable with that look and it works best with my favorite eyeglasses.
:cool2:
50sblackeyeglassessmallpiclb1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran