Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What ever happened to station wagons?

Edward

Bartender
You could quite often find really early Rolls Royce Shooting brakes for sale in the British magazine 'Motorsport' back in the 60s. Quite a few though were re-bodied, as were also hearse models.

If I was ever going to run a car (no need of one, living in central London), I would dearly love a hearse. I have all sorts of ideas for the back, including adding in rear seats, and keeping the rest of the coffin deck as a place for stowing all sorts of stuff without it being visible to anyone outside the car.

Here's what happened to ONE station wagon, a 1960 Plymouth Fury. My hopeful brother just purchased this with dreams of restoration.

If it starts to restore itself, run...

I'm always a little in awe of the sheer size of Yank cars from the 80s and earlier. First time I saw a 56 Caddy in the flesh, I couldn't believe it - thing was the size of a Routemaster bus. Love the styling of the U cars of that period, but certainly not a practical size over here (and far too thirsty). This is where the MK I & II Fords of the 50s are a great option - all the style of their US cousins, but about two thirds of the size. And with no need for a complicated conversion to put the steering wheel on the right side.

MK II Ford Zodiac Estate:

Ford_Zodiac_206E_Estate_1960_rear.jpg

Ford_Zodiac_206E_Estate_1960_side.jpg

1961_Ford_Zodiac_Estate_2.JPG

I also have a lot of love for the Morris Minor Traveller (probably a more practical option today, too):

Morris_Minor_Traveller_1960_S_Rick_Feibusch_2009.jpg

MorrisMinor2_big.jpg

Somebody has gone to town embellishing the wood on this one (amongst other obvious customisation):
morris-minor-traveller-02.jpg

This one has clearly been mechanically altered, but is (wheels and colour aside) standard in its looks:
MorrisTraveller.jpg

The miors are lovely cars, though you have to be careful when picking a Traveller version as a project as the visible wood is not merely decorative, but structural.

I bet those big old American cars are quite a shock over there, eh? I have a couple European friends who own big 70's Ford Country Squire wagons and live over there and said they get quite a bit of attention wherever they go!

This one belongs to one of the members over at the Station Wagon Forums. He's from Finland and here his 1965 Chrysler Newport is pictured next to his Volvo V40.

Kuva0462-1.jpg

DesertDan

One Too Many
I drove an 80's LTD Crown Vic station wagon for years. All maroon with the side-facing, fold down rear seats. Great car, I was sad when it finally gave up the ghost.

Edward

Bartender
I bet those big old American cars are quite a shock over there, eh? I have a couple European friends who own big 70's Ford Country Squire wagons and live over there and said they get quite a bit of attention wherever they go!

They certainly do.... Not especially popular back in rural Ireland, though, where there aren't many roads you can fit them down (even before you consider that's supposed to be a *two lane* road... ;) :p ).

Edward, thanks for the Morris pics, I really like those!

:) Great cars. Hard to believe the Minor as we know it had such a long run (1948-71). The traveller came on stream in 1952, and was one of the last variants still in production in 1971, if memory serves. There was also a very similar design based on the Mini (the Morris Mini was originally marketed as the Morris Mini Minor, so it's no wonder that happened....).

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
"I'm always a little in awe of the sheer size of Yank cars from the 80s and earlier. First time I saw a 56 Caddy in the flesh, I couldn't believe it - thing was the size of a Routemaster bus. Love the styling of the U cars of that period, but certainly not a practical size over here (and far too thirsty)."

Cadillacs aren't exactly economy cars over here either. But at least they are more in scale to the roads and buildings.

There are some American cars from the fifties that compare well with their English and European counterparts. I know of one American who took a brand new red and black Rambler hardtop to Europe in 1951. He said it caused a sensation in Paris and gathered more attention, and positive comments than a Jaguar and a Bentley belonging to his friends. The fact that it got 30 MPG didn't hurt either.

If you scroll down this page there are a couple of shots of the 51 Rambler Country Club hardtop.

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/AmericanMotors/Nash1946-1959.html

Rambler made a neat station wagon in addition to the dishy hardtop, practical sedan and roll top convertible.

Last edited:

Rathdown

Practically Family
Iain Flemming used to drive a 55(?) Thunderbird on the Continent... It turned heads, but I don't know how he put up with the driving position. I've always thought the Euro-American hybrids were unbeatable, whether Jensens, Facels, or Isos. When I was in high school my father bought a Dual-Ghia, which was extremely flamboyant, and which my Mother disliked for exactly that reason, and it's lack of air conditioning. After three or four months it was replaced with a Thunderbird, which did have air conditioning, and for the remainder of his days my father drove very much mainstream cars. (Try as I might I couldn't get him to by an Avanti...)

Another good example of our 'yank tanks.' This '79 Electra belongs to a fellow SWF member.

2-11-11Buick054.jpg

Makes me miss my four-door

21960_311703674329_6745769_n.jpg

"I'm always a little in awe of the sheer size of Yank cars from the 80s and earlier. First time I saw a 56 Caddy in the flesh, I couldn't believe it - thing was the size of a Routemaster bus. Love the styling of the U cars of that period, but certainly not a practical size over here (and far too thirsty)."

Cadillacs aren't exactly economy cars over here either. But at least they are more in scale to the roads and buildings.

Caddies are boats, too, that's for sure. The more modern ones are certainly more efficient than they were 20-30 years ago. My Fleetwood is good for 26 mpg and is the same size as my wagons!

185157_10150965405159330_655373271_n.jpg

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
I have always liked the 91-96 Chevy/Olds/Buick wagons. I found a super clean Olds but the war department said she preferred the Suburban (which I guess is a station wagon on a truck frame sorta).

Nice Buick Tom. I still have my '79 Lesabre 2 door in that same awesome 1970s maytag green. There aren't many cars out today that can rival the comfort of those big squishy American land barges.

Thanks! They sure did know how to build 'em. It's hard to find a good car today, especially if you still prefer the 'sofa on wheels' experience.

Nice Buick Tom. I still have my '79 Lesabre 2 door in that same awesome 1970s maytag green. There aren't many cars out today that can rival the comfort of those big squishy American land barges.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'm actually surprised Cadillac made a new wagon. I'd love to see the sales numbers on it...
I still see a few mint condition wagons running around my part of town, the best examples of course are late model Roadmasters.
Although that Marquis Estate wagon you've got Tom, is probably the best riding one out of the bunch.
I had an uncle with the same model wagon Hollyweird used to make the "family truckster", same color and everything...LOL

The new Cadillac wagon is actually the first factory-built wagon they've ever made. Any prior wagons were custom coach-built jobs.

There's still a few Roadies around here, too, but I'm sure your Tennessee examples are much cleaner. I remember them being so common when I was in elementary school, but they're very rare now. Some old-timers have really kept them looking pristine, though!

Funny you say that, my brother just commented yesterday when we were going somewhere in my Caddy that he likes the way the Marquis rides better. He had one in metallic pea green, eh? lol

I'm actually surprised Cadillac made a new wagon. I'd love to see the sales numbers on it...
I still see a few mint condition wagons running around my part of town, the best examples of course are late model Roadmasters.
Although that Marquis Estate wagon you've got Tom, is probably the best riding one out of the bunch.
I had an uncle with the same model wagon Hollyweird used to make the "family truckster", same color and everything...LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR