Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What excuse will they come up with next?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
She was just too old to be on a skateboard. Adults on skateboards look silly. But if she had been just six years younger then that brand would have been cool and everyone would be happy.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Very amusing, especially given the all-to-common "Down with Corperations" attitued that a lot of Skater Punks take...Now she's a walking advertisement for it! Thought I do feel bad for her, as being burned REALLY sucks, but the irony is impossible to ignore!

Cheers
Craig

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
It is indeed ironic, but I'm afraid I don't understand the intent of this post. Is it to call to attention frivolous lawsuits? if that's the case I think we're being a little uncharitable to the woman who has been disfigured. No one would bat an eye if it had been a little girl who fell and branded her cheek on the Con Ed steampipe, indeed, I believe most people in here would be screaming bloody murder at the negligence. Why then is it different that it's a 27 year-old skateboarder? This woman, through no fault of her own, was hurt and remains scarred for life... sounds like a reasonable law suit to me.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I guess I'm confused. Was the cover supposed to be hot? If the steam pipe was leaking, which in turn heated the cover, I suppose Con Ed could be negligent. I've seen them on TV, and I think I've seen them steaming in downtown Denver, but I never bothered to check to see if they're hot.

Brad

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Come to South Texas in the Summertime...

Anything outside that's metal is hot. I never thought of it, but a manhole cover in downtown Houston could probably fry an egg on any given day from July through October. Unless of course it's raining. You are on your own, my friend. Stay off those manhole covers, eh.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I thought about that, but the article says the accident occurred after midnight. It surely would have cooled down by then.

Brad

farnham54

A-List Customer
I'm with Guybrush on this one actually---the lady is branded for life through no fault of her own. If con ed is responsible...well Thats a legit lawsuit as far as I'm concerned.

An ironic legitimate lawsuit :p

Cheers

Craig

Feraud

Bartender
I hate frivilous lawsuits as much as the next guy but, manhole covers are not supposed to be 'branding' hot. If work is happening in and area and there is a potential public danger, the area should be secured. I work in Manhattan. The place has approx. 9 million(?) people in it. Manhold covers are everywhere. Should pedestrians be walking over covers that are that hot? Con Edison might be responsible for negligence.

On the flipside, I wonder how 'permanent' her wound is. She could be overstating the injury for sake of the lawsuit. It does happen....

btw, 27 is not 'over the hill'! She is only 27 years old! Come on people, skateboards are fun! It takes a certain amount of skill that 'adults' seriously lack!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Feraud said:
I hate frivilous lawsuits as much as the next guy but, manhole covers are not supposed to be 'branding' hot. If work is happening in and area and there is a potential public danger, the area should be secured. I work in Manhattan. The place has approx. 9 million(?) people in it. Manhold covers are everywhere. Should pedestrians be walking over covers that are that hot? Con Edison might be responsible for negligence.

On the flipside, I wonder how 'permanent' her wound is. She could be overstating the injury for sake of the lawsuit. It does happen....

btw, 27 is not 'over the hill'! She is only 27 years old! Come on people, skateboards are fun! It takes a certain amount of skill that 'adults' seriously lack!

You speak some words of wisdom my friend. I agree.

It's interesting to say the least but, I do believe that a manhole cover shouldn't be that hot to brand. It takes a wile to hold a branding iron in a fire to heat enough to brand a cow! And when something is branded it sears the skin of the cow. It will also smoke a bit too.

27 years old or not, that has nothing really to do with it in my opinion. Look at how many pro and expert skaters there are! Tony Hawk, Bam Margera and more are in their 20's to 30's. It takes some one to start skating at young ages! And when they start, it's something they love and they keep on doing it into their 20's and so on. Yes, some people don't grow up but, heck there are things I love to do since I was a kid! I have tried to skate board when I was young but it wasn't going to happen! It takes good balance to handle one of those things.

It could be a farce suit or it could be real. I'm sure there is some damage done seeing it isn't very fun to fall off of any moving thing! Whether it be a bike or a horse it's going to hurt!

Just my ideas and thoughts on the matter, that's all!

Root.

PS. If you want to hear about a real fake lawsuit, I'll tell you one that involves McDonald’s, a pickle and a burger that will make you laugh.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Now here's a question for the young lady who is the victim of said manhole branding... How was that part of her body (Her rear) branded if she was wearing pants or some form of clothing hummm?

Sounds a little sensational to me ;) Unless skateboarding at 12am in the nude is a new trend among skaters in their late 20's.:p

Ok, here is the McDonald's pickle burger story. In 1999 or 2000 there was a lady who was going to sue Ronald McDonald’s yellow pants off because she clamed that her lip was burned so bad by a hot pickle that fell off onto her lip from a quarter pounder with cheese. She was going to sue McDonald’s for a large unbelievable sum of cash for damages to her lip. Oh, and it gets better too! Her husband was going to sue McD’s as well seeing his wife was hurt in a way that would inhibit her from kissing him and other forms of intimacy.

I was listening to a talk radio show that night and they had a scientist on their show and they asked him a pointed question about pickles of the low quality McDonald’s dill variety. They asked: So doctor, is it possible to heat a soggy dill pickle chip to and exes of over 100.oF to burn some one’s lip? The Doctor’s reply was: I’m afraid not. The pickle would turn into mush and disintegrate before it would reach a burning temperature.

To say the least, the lady and her husband had no case. Crazy you ask? Not for Californians! Always trying to make it rich off of fast-food chains.

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot