Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Films Do You Quote Like "Scripture"?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
So happy to see Withnail and I here. Didn’t expect anyone to have heard of it. So quotable.

Hardly a day goes by without someone I know not saying a line from this gem. I just came back from the country and was saying to a freind that - "we went on holiday by mistake."

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"The Welsh can do better than that, Owen?"

"They've got a very good bass section, mind, but no top tenor, that's for sure,"

Cue: "Men of Harlech."

"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

'He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!'

Edward

Bartender
Withnail, All the Pythons, Rocky Horror Picture Show (I not only quote that but can deliver most of the known callbacks if they get quoted or coincidentally come up elsewhere - by this point it's so much a reflex action it's borderline a form of tourettes), In Bruges, Ghostbusters, Cry Baby, Indiana Jones. Probably others too.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Withnail, All the Pythons, Rocky Horror Picture Show (I not only quote that but can deliver most of the known callbacks if they get quoted or coincidentally come up elsewhere - by this point it's so much a reflex action it's borderline a form of tourettes.)
Come on Edward, you can tell us, we won't laugh, were you up on your feet dancing The Time Warp? Ha! That makes two of us.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Another C Vacation I do use regularly, with my own addition:

"You see kids, this is what our forefathers used to do. Well, your mum's forefathers, mine were in the UK, Iraq and India".

While out hiking in the woods or camping or some other outdoorsy activity.

My wife's family has been in Canada both sides nearly 200 years. Mine arrived in 1947 (pater) and 1957 (mater)...

Young Frankenstein: Eye-gore and Dr. Frankenstein are robbing a grave, Igor says, "it could be worse. It could be raining."
Also from Igor, "What hump?"
A lot of fans don't know this, but Marty Feldman came up with the moving/disappearing hump gag. He was bored on set one day and decided to move the hump from one side to the other just to see who would notice and how long it would take them. Gene Wilder finally noticed and mentioned it, then they told Director/Producer/Writer/Dictator Mel Brooks just in case the gag would create any continuity problems (everything matching from scene to scene). Brooks thought it was so funny he wrote it into the script.

To continue this, I saw Young Frankenstein for the first time on opening day in December of 1974 with a group of friends. In the "Puttin' on the Ritz" scene there was a brief exchange between Froderick and Igor when Froderick noticed Igor's hump was missing and asked about it. Igor, wearing a tuxedo, responded indignantly, "Never with tails." And that was it. Nice little throw-away joke, but very funny. Thing is, I went to see the movie again a week later with a different group of friends, and that little exchange was gone. A couple of decades passed, during which I had seen the movie a number of times hoping that scene would be restored, but it wasn't. And no one I discussed the movie with had seen it. I began to think maybe I created it in my mind. Finally, a few years ago someone told me, "Oh, yeah, that's in the deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray version." o_O

Come on Edward, you can tell us, we won't laugh, were you up on your feet dancing The Time Warp? Ha! That makes two of us.
Make that three. Yes, I have danced The Time Warp at a semi-local restaurant/dance club that no longer exists. Jump to the left, step to the right, hands on your hips, knees in tight, pelvic thrust. The hard part was figuring out what to do during the verses.

Edward

Bartender

Many times over. Occasionally, on a quiet, Tuesday night, I became a celebrity for being the only one up in the theatre. To say nothing of hundreds of shadowcast performances with the film. I was a Brad briefly, then Riff Raff, then, in my prime, I was a Frank'n'Furter. Since I gained a bit too much weight for the corset, they literally wheel me out on occasion now to be Doctor Scott. At one time and another I've played ever single male role, though I've also gone to shows dressed as Janet and Magenta. Never Columbia, for lack of the costume...

A lot of fans don't know this, but Marty Feldman came up with the moving/disappearing hump gag. He was bored on set one day and decided to move the hump from one side to the other just to see who would notice and how long it would take them. Gene Wilder finally noticed and mentioned it, then they told Director/Producer/Writer/Dictator Mel Brooks just in case the gag would create any continuity problems (everything matching from scene to scene). Brooks thought it was so funny he wrote it into the script.

To continue this, I saw Young Frankenstein for the first time on opening day in December of 1974 with a group of friends. In the "Puttin' on the Ritz" scene there was a brief exchange between Froderick and Igor when Froderick noticed Igor's hump was missing and asked about it. Igor, wearing a tuxedo, responded indignantly, "Never with tails." And that was it. Nice little throw-away joke, but very funny. Thing is, I went to see the movie again a week later with a different group of friends, and that little exchange was gone. A couple of decades passed, during which I had seen the movie a number of times hoping that scene would be restored, but it wasn't. And no one I discussed the movie with had seen it. I began to think maybe I created it in my mind. Finally, a few years ago someone told me, "Oh, yeah, that's in the deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray version." o_O

Make that three. Yes, I have danced The Time Warp at a semi-local restaurant/dance club that no longer exists. Jump to the left, step to the right, hands on your hips, knees in tight, pelvic thrust. The hard part was figuring out what to do during the verses.

A lot of YF related crossover in the RHPS community - especially in Glasgow, where for years they were always shown as a double bill.

My big, YF-related thing is I am simply incapable of hearing "Puttin' On the Ritz" without delivering the Creature's lines. Another Brook's quote I use a lot (but have to be careful where, lest it be taken out of context) is "That's our Hitler!". Ironically, if I'm in company where I can hold that and I worry the reference might be mixed, my habitual replacement is "That's a bingo!"

A line I'd use every day given the chance is from Crybaby - "Pepper's pregnant, but she can fight like a man!" More commonly I get the chance for "Let's all put on a folk hat and learn something about a foreign culture."

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) somehow slipped under my radar before it opened here in the southwestern corner of the continental U.S.. Schoolmates who had seen it attempted to share their enthusiasm with me, but anyone who has seen the movie knows that can't be done. I finally saw it with friends after a couple of weeks, and we all walked out of the theater not quite understanding the point of what we had just seen. Mind you, this was quite some time before the devoted fans started the "audience participation" that made it the notorious midnight movie it eventually became. Fast forward to Halloween 1981 where my relatively new bride and I are throwing our first Halloween party as husband and wife. More of a gathering, actually, with a rather small selection of close friends. One of those friends suggested we all go to see RHPS, so we did and that was the first time I got the full experience. Very different from the previous viewing, and a whole lot more fun! I never did become a dyed-in-the-wool fan, but now I can watch it without feeling I'm missing something.

Haversack

One Too Many
Among my wife's coterie of friends who dabble in medieval recreation The Lion in Winter is a source of many quotations that get tossed off in conversation:

"There'll be pork in the treetops come morning!"

"Of course he has a knife, he always has a knife, we all have knives! It's 1183 and we're barbarians!"

"I'd hang you from the nipples, but it might shock the children"

"I damn near died of windburn... but the troops were dazzled."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko