Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What gives you "SWAGGER"?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
High Pockets said:
Takes little more than a smile and a twinkle in the eye of a beautiful woman.
My cllothes have very little to do with it,....I could be in my boxer-shorts for all it matters.:)

I certainly hope it's only the twinkling eyes of Mrs. High Pockets that are beholding you in your boxers! ;)

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
Knee-high leather boots. That could be due to the heavy weight. Or that I've wanted the things for a decade or more. Yes, they're heavy and hot. But they do wonders for your stride.
That's probably due to me wanting the things for years. I've had steel toed rubber boots of similar height for most of my life, and I loved them dearly. No lining, no cushion - just tall, tough, and waterproof. And safe to drop/rest heavy items on. Easy to put on and take off, easy to clean (no lace-up shoe is easy to clean, IME). Work well in the face of mud and floodwaters.
Love my tall boots.
IMG_0145-1.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Doran, Can I interest you in an arm and arm walk someday soon?? I'll wear a killer vintage 40s dress and a 40s hat...;)

Doran said:
Bamboo walking-stick.

I'm serious. I bought one on my last trip to Portland, Oregon. It cost all of 12 bucks or so.

I walked to an English friend's house in Berkeley with that cane a-swinging (OK, I also had on a 40s tie, a striped suit, oxblood-and-black saddle shoes, and a cognac Borsalino) and it just made me feel like singing.

She said, "when I got back from vacation at home (England) last week and got to America I was just so sad about the lack of elegance here, and, you know, this is not the REASON I like hanging out with you, but it is certainly one of the side benefits to hanging out with you -- I can walk down the street with you and feel elegant."

We went to an expensive bar and had fennel Martinis and Aviations.

(She's a lesbian, so my wife cannot possibly get jealous.)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Sigh... A man in a 30s look...:)

Fletch said:
It says SWAGGER, not STAGGER!

For me it's the 30s look. Vest, barred collar and a bloused tie. Hands in the pockets and coattails tucked behind. High broad pants and snappy spectators. Pearl grey lid tilted over my right ear. There's a bounce in my step as I saunter Main Street past the Nashes and Terraplanes and countless Fords, looking in curved windows of black-glass storefronts, hoping to stumble unawares into Jean Arthur, her arms full of parcels tied with string, as Associated Transcription foxtrot music plays.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Doran, the only real martini I ever had (had at an art Deco Ball at Bimbos's 365 in SF) tasted to me like what lighter fluid must be like if you could taste it-yuck! But this Aviation sounds yummy as I love maraschino cherries, please initiate me to this libation, Sir...

Doran said:
The second is a drink that the Lounge's own anon' introduced me to on my last (very fine) trip to Portland, Oregon. It has maraschino cherry liqueur among other things and is whitish.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Can a lady swagger, or is it just a guy thing? Okay, how about when I'm dressed to the nines in a vintage ensemble and the men quietly smile and nod appreciatively as I pass by.

Better yet, when I'm dressed in one of my silk and chiffon beaded full length evening gowns at a concert or dance and I'm asked by people beforehand if I will be performing/singing that day or evening.

The BEST- When wearing an evening gown and ballroom dancing, gliding effortlessly in sync on the dance floor in the arms of my best dancer partner, my husband- and I catch the eye of a friend who is in the band playing, he's smiling at me, watching us dance- and I give him a wink and a smile as we dance by him.

Edward

Bartender
Kifaru said:
Mess dress blues with Parajumper wings, miniature medals, gold strips from left shoulder to my wrist, proper black tie.

The Chief, USN(Ret)

:eek:fftopic:

It's not just a job, it really, really is an adventure!

Question: I've seen this a lot in US parlance, so please relieve my ignorance: are "miniature medals" what we on this side of the Atlantic refer to as medal ribbons?

RI1GFDBN4.jpg

anon`

One Too Many
Edward said:
Question: I've seen this a lot in US parlance, so please relieve my ignorance: are "miniature medals" what we on this side of the Atlantic refer to as medal ribbons?

RI1GFDBN4.jpg
Those are medal and service ribbons. Some are medal counterparts, and will usually show up first (the ribbons are "read" right to left, top to bottom, just like a book). Those ones have the same colour and pattern as the ribbon from which the associated medal hangs. Other service ribbons signify... well, other stuff. Overseas service, tours served, actions (not necessarily combat-related) served in, having been in active service at the end of a war, and the like.

So... yes, I think ;)

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
flat-top said:
I was having a conversation with my friend the other day after he bought an amazing vintage style jacket. He said when he tried it on at home, he felt cool; like the person he wants to be. A new found confidence.
What vintage look or style gives you swagger?

Three-piece suits, no question.

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
It says SWAGGER, not STAGGER!

For me it's the 30s look. Vest, barred collar and a bloused tie. Hands in the pockets and coattails tucked behind. High broad pants and snappy spectators. Pearl grey lid tilted over my right ear. There's a bounce in my step as I saunter Main Street past the Nashes and Terraplanes and countless Fords, looking in curved windows of black-glass storefronts, hoping to stumble unawares into Jean Arthur, her arms full of parcels tied with string, as Associated Transcription foxtrot music plays.
I was compelled to quote this, because any mention of Jean Arthur is worth quoting. Plus the scene you depict is pretty much perfect regardless of which classy dame is involved. :D

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My indomitable, positive, never say die New York attitude; with smarts that were mined in the street and refined in the school of life. The world is my playground and everyone in it a friend; unless I am shown differently then the other New York attitude provides the swagger that they will never forget. And a spirit that unwraps each day like a Christmas present.

That attitude gives the swagger; the clothes are just window dressing.

Kifaru

New in Town
anon` said:
Those are medal and service ribbons. Some are medal counterparts, and will usually show up first (the ribbons are "read" right to left, top to bottom, just like a book). Those ones have the same colour and pattern as the ribbon from which the associated medal hangs. Other service ribbons signify... well, other stuff. Overseas service, tours served, actions (not necessarily combat-related) served in, having been in active service at the end of a war, and the like.

So... yes, I think ;)

Well, close but not quite. Miniature medals look like exactly like the full size ones but are about one quarter the size. Much better for formal occasions. We wear the ribbons on normal service dress uniforms. Full size medals for ultra formal (funerals, Rememberance Day, weddings, etc) and minatures for mess events (dinners).

For scale, look at his hand.
medals182.jpg

Oh, and I have to say, I do take exception to the "off topic" sticky. My Navy Blue Chiefs uniform has not changed much in over 75 years. The only thing that changed in our "babe magnet" service dress choker whites is changing from cotton to twill. I still have my 13 button jumper blues with Hong Kong liberty dragons sewn into the sleeves that my son will inherit someday. Those have not changed in over a hundred years.

Now, if it was an AIR FORCE uniform, I could see it being off topic. The USAF has not been aroung long enough to have traditions and only has habits :D (just good natured inter-service rivalry, please dont be offended if you are a "wing wiper"!)

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I feel like a million bucks when I am sporting a concrete gray birds eye tweed three piece peak lapel suit (the vest has lapels and six buttons, the trousers are high rise with a back waist split for the suspenders and are flat front, no cuffs), I wear this with my closed laced caramel brown lace ups and some fuscia sucks, a dovey sort of powder gray shirt with a six inch point on the semi-spread collar, my favourite Art Deco tie and a striped orange and burgundy silk pocket kerchief. I usually top it off with my brown Harris tweed flat cap. The other ensemble which makes me feel like a million bucks is my riding gear; I wear pea-green jodhpur breeches with chestnut brown deer-skin leather knee patches (they are fall-front and have horizontal pockets, they are also very high rise and come above my navel), with my white detachable collar French-cuff shirt with a full stand-up Imperial collar, a nice cravat, my hacking jacket (it has three buttons - the top one rolls into the lapel, flapped diagonal pockets, is made of a green hounds-tooth check with an over pattern of rusty orange window-pane check), my favourite orange and burgundy striped silk pocket kerchief, my new yellow linen silk selvage buttoned DB and lapelled waist-coat and my lovely black riding boots! (I'm saving for a pair of caramel brown Der Dau dress polo boots)

I think I look damned snappy in it and I LOVE to ride anyhow!

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Tall Boots!

Geronimo said:
Knee-high leather boots. That could be due to the heavy weight. Or that I've wanted the things for a decade or more. Yes, they're heavy and hot. But they do wonders for your stride.
That's probably due to me wanting the things for years. I've had steel toed rubber boots of similar height for most of my life, and I loved them dearly. No lining, no cushion - just tall, tough, and waterproof. And safe to drop/rest heavy items on. Easy to put on and take off, easy to clean (no lace-up shoe is easy to clean, IME). Work well in the face of mud and floodwaters.
Love my tall boots.
IMG_0145-1.jpg

Dig it! They usually have free shipping during the holiday season:

http://www.crazyhorsetack.com/medetaboalll.html

I got my knee-high black leather riding boots there. They're Gorgeous and really easy to take care of, you just have to break them in properly and make sure that they're the right size; measure accordingly and carefully!

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
Kifaru said:
Now, if it was an AIR FORCE uniform, I could see it being off topic. The USAF has not been aroung long enough to have traditions and only has habits :D (just good natured inter-service rivalry, please dont be offended if you are a "wing wiper"!)

Hey now, Im CAF. Be cafreull.;)

swagger you say? Dress uniforms, participating in a "Freedom of the city parade" weapons fixed with bayonets.

http://www.barriechamber.com/broadcast/enews/Newsletter/CFB3.jpg

I found this picture from three years ago just looking for a picture of our uniforms from an event I knew would result with the desired pictures. opened the picture and had a closer look... Whats the chances that after three years I would find a picture of me without looking for it?

Ever been told to "Put a little swagger in your step" wile on parade?

Another good one for me is my black pin stripe suit, black shirt, red tie, cow boy boots, leather trench coat and fedora= Cool.

Kifaru

New in Town
Opas Coat said:
Hey now, Im CAF. Be cafreull.;)

swagger you say? Dress uniforms, participating in a "Freedom of the city parade" weapons fixed with bayonets.

http://www.barriechamber.com/broadcast/enews/Newsletter/CFB3.jpg

I found this picture from three years ago just looking for a picture of our uniforms from an event I knew would result with the desired pictures. opened the picture and had a closer look... Whats the chances that after three years I would find a picture of me without looking for it?

Lots of swagger there! Thanks for the link. Bye the way, what is the one-winged badge above the name tag??

Kindest regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran