What happened to TCM?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by LocktownDog, Jun 27, 2008.

1. TheDutchess

TheDutchess One of the Regulars

TCM Has a good one on right now "Roman Holiday" with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck.

2. Rittmeister

Rittmeister Familiar Face

Don't count them out yet. This month they are running some great films with big bands, including seldom seen shorts of band performances. (Great suits and hats on the musicians.) The star of the month is also Rosalind Russell.

3. Brian Sheridan

Brian Sheridan One Too Many

It is a tough balance between attracting a wide audience or being a channel for just nuts like us. Unfortunatly, there are not enough nuts like us who tune into the obscurer offerings to make the channel economically viable. Luckily, TCM is part of packages where a big name channel like ESPN can get a high subcribership. If they go to "ala carte" channel programing, then we really maybe in trouble. The argument "Why should I pay for a channel I don't watch" can really hurt people like us since we don't pay premium channel prices to watch our favorite old movies.

4. Burnsie

Burnsie Registered User

While I've noticed that in prime time especially TCM seems to be showing more recent stuff I still don't count them out. When TCM first went on the air I knew AMC was doomed due to Turner owning so much classic material and nowadays I don't even watch AMC (during my high school years they were the only game in town!). I admit I'm one of the closed minded folks that disagrees with "it doesn't have to be old to be classic" but then how old is old? I love movies that have stood the test of time and held up - for me the mid 50's is getting too new.

5. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Good observation. I wonder how many people would open up the wallets and pay for TCM and how lucrative it would be for the station.
    TCM would be lucky to draw half the viewers they currently have.

6. Nighthawk

Nighthawk One of the Regulars

Maybe five years ago, sometime around then, TCM showed Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) in widescreen, it was either the theatrical cut or the extended version.

As far as I know, this is the only Trek film that they have shown. To say that TCM has just started showing newer movies isn't quite true. I am pretty sure that they showed this because it was directed by Robert Wise and they were showing other films of his at the time, such as The Andromeda Strain, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Sand Pebbles, West Side Story, The Sound of Music, etc.

Regardless, I was quite excited to see the non-director's edition of ST:TMP on TCM. The original/extended cut (far superior to the director's, IMO) has never been and likely never will be released on DVD.

NH

7. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

TCM is going to be showing LOTS of movies I want to see in the upcoming months:

September's Star Of The Month appears to be Kay Francis. They are showing her films all night long on Thursdays. I can't believe this! Kay is one of my very favorite actresses and she's a bit "obscure" to non-buffs.

October's Star Of The Month will be Carole Lombard. Lots of rare movies I'll never see again are going to be aired!

Two of my most favourite actresses! My VCR will be smoking!

8. ImmortalChaos

ImmortalChaos New in Town

I adore Kay. She's a fascinating gal that one. But, I'm glad they're doing big bands this month.:eusa_clap

9. Brian Sheridan

Brian Sheridan One Too Many

While watching a William Powell movie this morning on TCM I got the idea that too bad TCM couldn't be declared some sort of musuem and obtain public funding. The ability to see these movies uncut and commercial-free is a national treasure. It is also one that people don't need to live near to see like the monuments in Washington DC. Maybe it could be part of the National Archives. There are have been much worse things our tax money has gone to. And it couldn't cost that much to upkeep if it were a partnership with Turner or Time Warner.

10. Joe_Frances

Joe_Frances New in Town

I have seen some great films on TCM this month and last, on Carole Lombard and Kay Francis, great stuff not to be missed. Also, they have played a number of films not available on DVD, such as the fantastic "Double Harness" with William Powell and a gorgeous Ann Harding.

Sometimes I think we've simply run out of great 30s-40s films and TMC is doing what it can to keep the franchise going. Then, out of the blue they do something great. It's not all bad news at TCM, it's just not great all the time, or even half the time, still, a treasure for old films.

11. Nathan Dodge

Nathan Dodge One Too Many

They aired STII and STIII back-to-back around 1999. I remember because my wife and I ran out to buy lots of junk food to munch on while we watched. lol

12. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

If it talks, it can't be all that good unless it sings.

Hmmpfh!

13. Lone_Ranger

Lone_Ranger Practically Family

You mean Rush Hour 2 isn't a "Classic?" lol

14. MadelienneBlack

MadelienneBlack One of the Regulars

Has anyone else noticed that the good films are always on in the wee hours of the morning when hardly anyone's awake to watch them? I don't have a VCR or digital recorder with me at college, so I guess I'm S.O.L., as they say.

15. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Yes. Odd hours, guest programmers, and tributes are when TCM show their best films.

16. Creeping Past

Creeping Past One Too Many

17. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Agreed. They have a lot of great movies on the site.

18. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

Bang the Drum Slowly is on tonight at 8. There's a good film that you don't get to see very often.

19. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

20. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

i just added that to my favorites, thank you! :)