Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like an international hat smuggling ring :). Good score on the Brent Black!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt I will ever buy from eBay again. My account was "limited" by PayPal because of "unusual activity". I really don't know what was unusual about it. All I did was send about four payments, and buy three hats through eBay. I don't know if it is because I live in Mexico, but I called PayPal in the US and they confirmed that they want me to send the following:

A copy of my passport.
A copy of an ID no more than 6 months old.
A copy of my credit card statement.
A copy of a recent utility bill that has to be in my name and mailed to the address I registered with.
A four-digit code that came with a $1.95 "temporary charge" that took three days to post in my account.

I already submitted the code, but they insist they want everything else.
All these absurd requirements would expose me to identity theft, of course, so I refused.

And, to top it all off, they will not even allow me to cancel my account with them! When I called I was told this was included in the contract I electronically signed when I registered. If all this is not illegal, it should be, because I don't owe PayPal anything, and I don't wish to open an account with them again anyway.

I already placed a restriction of my own on all charges from PayPal with my credit card company, and I suggest everyone look closely at their contract with PayPal.

After buying 17 hats in the last week, maybe this restriction is a good thing. If I really want to buy a hat from eBay that badly, I will have to ask my son or one of my friends in the US to buy it for me, and I will hesitate to do so unless it absolutely is a great buy.
And there is always Optimo, where Tiffani treats me the way I feel I deserve.

And finally, I think that having 28 great hats should be enough for me.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I doubt I will ever buy from eBay again. My account was "limited" by PayPal because of "unusual activity". I really don't know what was unusual about it. All I did was send about four payments, and buy three hats through eBay. I don't know if it is because I live in Mexico, but I called PayPal in the US and they confirmed that they want me to send the following:

A copy of my passport.
A copy of an ID no more than 6 months old.
A copy of my credit card statement.
A copy of a recent utility bill that has to be in my name and mailed to the address I registered with.
A four-digit code that came with a $1.95 "temporary charge" that took three days to post in my account.

I already submitted the code, but they insist they want everything else.
All these absurd requirements would expose me to identity theft, of course, so I refused.

And, to top it all off, they will not even allow me to cancel my account with them! When I called I was told this was included in the contract I electronically signed when I registered. If all this is not illegal, it should be, because I don't owe PayPal anything, and I don't wish to open an account with them again anyway.

I already placed a restriction of my own on all charges from PayPal with my credit card company, and I suggest everyone look closely at their contract with PayPal.

After buying 17 hats in the last week, maybe this restriction is a good thing. If I really want to buy a hat from eBay that badly, I will have to ask my son or one of my friends in the US to buy it for me, and I will hesitate to do so unless it absolutely is a great buy.
And there is always Optimo, where Tiffani treats me the way I feel I deserve.

And finally, I think that having 28 great hats should be enough for me.

I was able to go online and cancel my ebay account. It took them awhile (months), but they finally did it. They tried to screw me over some shipping charges and even held a sham informal hearing. Paypal was no help, either, as I found out they are the same company, but my bank reversed the charges so I got my money back. I won't deal with ebay anymore either.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I was able to go online and cancel my ebay account. It took them awhile (months), but they finally did it. They tried to screw me over some shipping charges and even held a sham informal hearing. Paypal was no help, either, as I found out they are the same company, but my bank reversed the charges so I got my money back. I won't deal with ebay anymore either.
I had put in a bid for another Brent Black, and had to ask my friend Jim in Chicago to outbid me in eBay so I wouldn't owe them anything, and so the seller wouldn't be hurt by PayPal's draconian rules.
He did it for me, but luckily someone else outbid Jim.
They seem to feel you are a "captive" customer. To hell with that.
I am going to post my last rant on the "ebay" thread now.
I posted it here first because Brent's post rekindled my anger.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
19FAFE28-C6AA-4BEC-8E34-D95BAA2F623A.jpeg
Greetings All:
I couldn’t resist. A poorly worded description and a good deal!
B

They are no longer the same company but eBay and PayPal still work closely. I haven’t had any of these problems but I’ve heard enough stories to know they’re real. The problem is that if you write off eBay you’ll also miss lots of great vintage hats.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
They are no longer the same company but eBay and PayPal still work closely. I haven’t had any of these problems but I’ve heard enough stories to know they’re real. The problem is that if you write off eBay you’ll also miss lots of great vintage hats.
Unless they already messed you up. Then, it's really easy.

psklenar

One of the Regulars
Getting old is not for sissies.

That was my 92yo aunt's favorite saying the last several years of her life. Dang I miss that lady. :(

In keeping with purpose of this thread, I received a tracking number last night for this Stetson Playboy.

pat----

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 77
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 80
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 78

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
That was my 92yo aunt's favorite saying the last several years of her life. Dang I miss that lady. :(

In keeping with purpose of this thread, I received a tracking number last night for this Stetson Playboy.

pat----
Ooooohhhh. Nice. Any idea when it's from?

psklenar

One of the Regulars
Ooooohhhh. Nice. Any idea when it's from?

After looking at the Stetson aging related threads & the Huston/Publis site, I'm guessing mid-late 1950's (maybe early 60s?) due to the crown logo, clear plastic crown protector and size tag.

It looks like "3 Beall Brothers 3" sold themselves in the mid-late 1980s during the economic downturn in Texas.

pat----

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
After looking at the Stetson aging related threads & the Huston/Publis site, I'm guessing mid-late 1950's (maybe early 60s?) due to the crown logo, clear plastic crown protector and size tag.

It looks like "3 Beall Brothers 3" sold themselves in the mid-late 1980s during the economic downturn in Texas.

pat----
you'd be pretty spot on with that date range! Great research, and awesome hat!!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred