Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bob shipped down Sandra's cloche in time for her birthday this week and it was on the doorstep this afternoon. Will get some proper pics when I spring it on her when we celebrate Friday....

(I did peek, though, and it really is a stand out! The felt is like a blend of velour and a short hair/sateen finish. Plush, soft and clay-like).

i-VnvjKVr-M.jpg

Also, pics of some hand dyed 2" ribbon for my anxiously awaited fedora in natural...

i-6SDPHDR-M.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
You and me too. I ordered a Limpia Creek hat back in October. My wait is about over, thought, as it should be here as early as today but perhaps into next week.

This post technically does not belong here but......just checked in with Stephen at Leon Drexler hats out of Toronto and his current wait list is just over one year. So if I bite the bullet and order I can post it here once a month for the next year. He does make great hats and the look is his own.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That's a good question! It started as a fedora/western, then changed to a Strat clone, then back to more of a fedora. When I last talked to Limpia Creek, we said make it like the "last thing we talked about" and I've conveniently forgotten what we talked about last!!! Bottom line, it will be a surprise to me too because now I'm not sure what I ordered!!!

...just checked in with Stephen at Leon Drexler hats out of Toronto and his current wait list is just over one year. So if I bite the bullet and order I can post it here once a month for the next year...
Maybe, maybe not. I doubt it would take Mr. Drexler a year to make your hat, but rather it will be several months before he can start on it because he has several hats in the queue ahead of yours.

I would assume there is less felt-stiffener in the crown section, making it more malleable for creasing.

I have other hats from Resistol and Stetson that are marked “Hand Creased” and the felt is still very firm, but I don’t think it’s as stiff as other modern western hats. Bailey is new for me but I’m curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nothing fancy, just an Outback Traders Oilskin River Guide. Need a new kayaking, and woods hat. My last one was destroyed in a fire.
Looks good to me. My opinion is that a hat doesn't have to be "fancy"--as long as it's owner/wearer likes it, that's all that matters.

Since I'm here, here's an example of a "nothing fancy" hat. For unimportant reasons that would take too long to explain, for kicks and grins I perused the 'Net last week to see what I could find that would be a "close enough" match to the hat Sylvester Stallone wore in the first two Rocky movies, and stumbled across this:

BY77pfb.jpg

Navy Blue, made in China, allegedly 100% cotton, and if it survives the trip intact it'll probably be crushed flat and too small for me, but for $3.59 I thought I'd take the chance. :cool:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
There is a tradition in Hawaii of hand woven straw hats called Lauhala hats, made out of a palm like tree called the Hala or Pandanus tree.
419f75daf62a3de66b7b813cb2cd60ad.jpg

I have been on the hunt for a cowboy or Paniolo style Lauhala hat similar to this one.
fd5858ba82d4073c6175fd4c8e649484.jpg

They are difficult to find and pretty pricey. However, I found a Milner in Sydney who is working with women in Vanuatu who weave hats out of pandanus.
I should receive a hat soon made from the hat body on the left, in a similar style to the Vanuatu cowboy hat on the right.
4f595eab398be1f294806e4cb00c1004.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ