Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

This has intrigued me for months and today I sprang for the $20.

Attachments

• FBB2761F-5AE9-4A11-853D-43A0E66A5F94.jpeg
    FBB2761F-5AE9-4A11-853D-43A0E66A5F94.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 40
  • D1C20AC1-487B-4F6D-9AD0-FA9D49B49523.jpeg
    D1C20AC1-487B-4F6D-9AD0-FA9D49B49523.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 42

The Shoe

One Too Many
I just ordered the Borsalino Bellagio in charcoal grey, as a complement to my tobacco Stratoliner to round out the colors I can wear them with. It's my first Borsalino, and I see it doesn't have a bound brim. I'm curious - do unbound brims require special care or more delicate storage? Or is the bound trim purely decorative?

It took about six days to arrive last time I ordered from Delmonico Hatters, so I imagine it'll take about the same time. Although tomorrow is the start to a holiday weekend, so we'll see if that delays things a bit...

Cheers, all.
I hesitated to reply to this because there are far more knowledge people out there than me who I thought would answer your question.
I have several raw brimmed hats and I treat them no differently to any of my hats with either brim binding or an over/underwelted brim.
I have heard that the binding can serve to increase the tension on the brim to give it the snap. It’s true that none of my raw brimmed hats have a snap brim. If the felt is malleable (like my Borsalino), it can still be worn up or down.
Anyhow, that’s my experience. I’m sure someone will correct me if anything I’ve said is incorrect.

I "accidently" won these two hats. A Champ and a Chelson.

1668436004665.png

1668436240060.png

1668436038623.png

1668436096362.png

1668436192116.png

I just put a low-end bid on them as I was trying to win these Resistols (but got busy and missed the "live" part of the auction -- I put a low initial bid in on these as well as they were small in size ... 6-7/8). The Resistols were an earlier lot. I was thinking that the other two could ride along in the box with these "when" I won.

1668435689665.png

1668435826438.png

1668435868332.png

1668435902907.png

^^^^^ Did anyone here get these Resistols?

I'm hoping the shipping on the inadvertent two is not too expensive.

biffnix

New in Town
I hesitated to reply to this because there are far more knowledge people out there than me who I thought would answer your question.
I have several raw brimmed hats and I treat them no differently to any of my hats with either brim binding or an over/underwelted brim.
I have heard that the binding can serve to increase the tension on the brim to give it the snap. It’s true that none of my raw brimmed hats have a snap brim. If the felt is malleable (like my Borsalino), it can still be worn up or down.
Anyhow, that’s my experience. I’m sure someone will correct me if anything I’ve said is incorrect.
Thanks. I'm really loving just how malleable the Borsalino is. I saw a video from JJ Hats in NYC demonstrating just how malleable the Borsalino "Qualita Superiore" felt is, and they weren't kidding. I'm easily able to smoosh the crown into any shape I like, but it still returns to its original center dent if I wish, which is very nice. My Stetson clearly can't do that, as it would take some steaming and re-forming to do the same thing. I love both the Stetson Pure Stratoliner and the Borsalino Bellagio, but the Borsalino is clearly the more flexible (literally as well as figuratively) piece of a gentleman's wardrobe.

Well, these two fell through. Seller cancelled the deal stating she listed at the wrong price (twice!). She relisted at ten (!) times the orginal price. After asking neither turned out to be my size (or a size 62). Not going to happen. It is a gripe of course and belongs in another thread, but it made me search for some replacement.

cab2.jpeg
lam1.jpeg

And indeed I did find some replacements, which will be coming through. Arrival expected this week.

sol4.jpeg
blum1.jpeg
aer2.jpeg

Well, these two fell through. Seller cancelled the deal stating she listed at the wrong price (twice!). She relisted at ten (!) times the orginal price. After asking neither turned out to be my size (or a size 62). Not going to happen. It is a gripe of course and belongs in another thread, but it made me search for some replacement.

View attachment 465352 View attachment 465353

And indeed I did find some replacements, which will be coming through. Arrival expected this week.

View attachment 465354 View attachment 465355 View attachment 465356
Nice replacement!!!

View attachment 465352 View attachment 465353

View attachment 465354 View attachment 465355 View attachment 465356

I think you came out on top!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points