Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
One Lounger said that he had both the Imperial and the Deluxe. The Deluxe is supposed to have a better sweat and a better finish to the felt. But, the Lounger said that he didn't think the felt quality and the better sweat was that much better to warrant the price difference between the two.

Side by side, I have a BGG CD Imperial (which is my favorite hat) and a MoonStone in Heritage which is on the fairly short list of also-rans. The windcords, edge binding and ribbons are the same. Dimensions seem the same. The rigidity of the felt between them so close that I would not opine on it. However, my Silverbelly Imperial is much more rigid - yes, I agree with Zombie - the hat finisher must have some discretion regarding how much shellac goes into a particular hat. However, I have noticed more comments that the Silverbellies come stiffer than other colors. I have no idea why that might be or if it is just a coincidence.

Where the Imperial and Heritage separate is in the surface feel of the felt. The Heritage is softer to the touch on arrival and seems to get a bit softer over time and handling. The Imperial is a tad rougher. However this is more than offset by the poor pouncing job on the Heritage as they left an uneven elliptical band of rough area on the brim near the ribbon during this process. On other Akubras, this is small and even to the point where it is not noticeable, but this one should never have left Akubra or HD.

The sweat on the Heritage is 1 3/4 inch wide while the Imperial is 1 1/2 inch. The leather does seem to be of better quality, but the Imperial has done very well on a hat which is worn at a minimum 3 days per week - often much more. I use it even during the Summer heat in the Gulf South. The liners are so close in quality that I would not express a preference.

The only issue is that the windcord tore loose from the button while working at an airport recently. Potential FOD (foreign objects debris/damage) items are not appreciated in that environment so I put the cord into play and it just came loose while putting it back in its place. Maybe these are just intended to be cosmetic rather than useful?

The only way that I would pay the difference is to obtain a desired color or style that I could not get otherwise. And then, I would tell them that I expected them to actually check the hats for defects (especially the pouncing line!) before shipping.

Fed

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
After looking at the current exchange rate and the sale price, I ordered an Adventurer from Everything Australian. Thought about a Fed IV, but the pleasant experience of dealing with Sam, far superior quality control and the shipping cost/tracking give EA first consideration.

Now for the 3 month wait to get the desired color.

(The code "new" worked a few moments ago, so if there is an Akubra that you have been considering...)

Fed

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
https://hats-plus.com/p-678-biltmore-stewart-fedora.aspx
I really want to get this hat... in a 7 5/8.
I have tried on a few 7 1/2 s and they are tight. I have a vintage Portis (7 3/8) which is tight, but it has stretched out a little over time. I find it hard to find large vintages.

Those are nice. For another option, the Akubra Stylemaster is almost identical and available on sale through Everything Australian.

http://everythingaustralian.com.au/row/headwear/fedora/stylemaster.html

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Waiting for delivery of this medium brown Templeform from EBay

Hopefully it'll clean up well. Shipping was only $5.50, so it has potential for a $22 hat. The color, style and brim suit my needs. The back bow is interesting from a vintage standpoint, but I'm not sure it works for me for general wear. I might change it to a more conventional bow, or maybe even go very casual with a braided leather band.

$_58.JPG $_57.JPG

Roger

skydog757

A-List Customer
Waiting for delivery of this medium brown Templeform from EBay

Hopefully it'll clean up well. Shipping was only $5.50, so it has potential for a $22 hat. The color, style and brim suit my needs. The back bow is interesting from a vintage standpoint, but I'm not sure it works for me for general wear. I might change it to a more conventional bow, or maybe even go very casual with a braided leather band.

View attachment 32991 View attachment 32992

Roger

Personally, I like the back bow style. To me, it evokes a different era without looking dated. Of course, simply wearing ANY fedora tends to do that.

el_ote

Familiar Face
Ebay find being delivered today!
looks pretty similar to my Saxon, only in a brown. I hope to alternate wearing them! little by little my collection is growing!

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Personally, I like the back bow style. To me, it evokes a different era without looking dated. Of course, simply wearing ANY fedora tends to do that.

Your're right of course. I received the hat and it looks much better than the pictures and the back bow is very subtle and classy. I can't post pictures right now, but will get to it in a day or so.

Now I'm waiting for this Borsolino that I just won on EBay.

1.JPG 2.JPG
3.JPG 5.JPG

I had to read the fine print in the description to realize it's a Borsalino. That might be why I bought if for the minimum bid. Hopefully, I won't be disappointed.

Roger

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
I'm currently on vacation but there should be an Akubra Angler waiting on me at home. Going to make returning home tomorrow easier. Actually looking forward to it.

And still waiting on a special order banjo Patterson in gray.... That'll be at least a couple more months as I received word of it making into production line up on the 28th.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
el_ote, that box is absolutely identical to the Stetson box that my grandfather's hat was in when I found it. Although, there was no Stetson inside. It was the Morisson Hats-Famous Fifteen fedora that I have posted about. 'Thrilled' with what I got, but I would have been thrilled with that Stetson too.

Andy

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Now I'm waiting for this Borsolino that I just won on EBay.

View attachment 33202

I had to read the fine print in the description to realize it's a Borsalino. That might be why I bought if for the minimum bid. Hopefully, I won't be disappointed.

Roger

False alarm. The seller misread a tag that actually read, "Barcelona" not Borsalino. The seller apologized and will pay for return shipping. Too bad that the hat is of such low quality otherwise, or I'd keep it.

Roger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot