Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Mighty44

One Too Many

Antique Men's Panama Hat And Ladies French Velour Camel Color Hat With Brooch​

About all I know about it as I could not pry any other info out of the auction house. I will probably tell them to keep the ladies hat (or at least the box it came with) as the shipping would exceed the value (AFAIK).

View attachment 432932

View attachment 432933
Looks like one of Claude Monet’s hats.

Antique Men's Panama Hat And Ladies French Velour Camel Color Hat With Brooch​

About all I know about it as I could not pry any other info out of the auction house. I will probably tell them to keep the ladies hat (or at least the box it came with) as the shipping would exceed the value (AFAIK).

View attachment 432932

View attachment 432933

That Panama is my kind of hat. I even like the slight wonkiness of it. Fingers crossed it fits.

I only bid $3.00 for this (as the shipping/handling was steep). Ended up winning it. An brand rarely seen. The Roswelle Hat was made by the Middleton Manufacturing Company out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I'm pretty much just finding info from 1905 to 1925 (or thereabouts), but this seems like a later hat. There are a couple of straws out there on Etsy that the sellers are dating one to the 1920s and the other to the '40s/'50s -- though it could be older. I've seen this thin liner covering (just a few flakes remain) on a few hats (not at all like the opaque "onion skin" I see some liner covers referred to, nor the thicker, clear "cellophane" seen on 1950s hats). I've also read references this type of product being what the hat was bagged and shipped in (in the hat box) when new -- although this stuff appears more like a liner tip cover in this case. I've hat a few hat boxes with the left over "glitter" from this material breaking down over the years. Any definitive answer on what it is (was) and when it was used?

1655242253657.png

1655242321409.png

1655242292693.png

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
I have a hat on order that is apparently going to be an extremely rare find. I ordered a Borsalino Bellagio in Silverbelly from DelMonico Hatter. I got a call from Ben saying that the hat had some water damage on the hatband. He sent me these pictures:

a5d6f27cb7bb4ca77e0d0d6c6b34af7efcce63f7-14.jpg

a5d6f27cb7bb4ca77e0d0d6c6b34af7efcce63f7-24.jpg

a5d6f27cb7bb4ca77e0d0d6c6b34af7efcce63f7-34.jpg

Apparently, Silverbelly is a really unique color which even Ben said will not be re-ordered during next Fall. So, this is apparently the only hat left. He offered a price reduction on the hat. I told him how much it would cost to replace the band. He was really nice about the whole thing, and reduced the price to $200.

He even put the hat on expedited shipping for me. I plan to have the outer band changed by JJ Hat Center while keeping the Borsalino bow to return the hat to it's proper condition. Ben assured me that the damage did not get through to the felt.

Fingers crossed, hopefully.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I have a hat on order that is apparently going to be an extremely rare find. I ordered a Borsalino Bellagio in Silverbelly from DelMonico Hatter. I got a call from Ben saying that the hat had some water damage on the hatband. He sent me these pictures:

a5d6f27cb7bb4ca77e0d0d6c6b34af7efcce63f7-14.jpg

a5d6f27cb7bb4ca77e0d0d6c6b34af7efcce63f7-24.jpg

a5d6f27cb7bb4ca77e0d0d6c6b34af7efcce63f7-34.jpg

Apparently, Silverbelly is a really unique color which even Ben said will not be re-ordered during next Fall. So, this is apparently the only hat left. He offered a price reduction on the hat. I told him how much it would cost to replace the band. He was really nice about the whole thing, and reduced the price to $200.

He even put the hat on expedited shipping for me. I plan to have the outer band changed by JJ Hat Center while keeping the Borsalino bow to return the hat to it's proper condition. Ben assured me that the damage did not get through to the felt.

Fingers crossed, hopefully.
Good luck on that, it's truly a beauty of a hat, well worth the calculated risk, I would certainly have gone for it. What struck me is the coincidence of your hat and the one that I have just ordered. Through a good friend I learned of a small UK firm, in the county of Devon, who do bespoke orders as well as ready made. I ordered a hat, not to dissimilar to your Borsalino.

cream fedora.png
cream-fedora.png

Now I await to see the result.

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
Good luck on that, it's truly a beauty of a hat, well worth the calculated risk, I would certainly have gone for it. What struck me is the coincidence of your hat and the one that I have just ordered. Through a good friend I learned of a small UK firm, in the county of Devon, who do bespoke orders as well as ready made. I ordered a hat, not to dissimilar to your Borsalino.

View attachment 433448 View attachment 433449
Now I await to see the result.

Thanks. I hope for the best. Your hat seems a more off-white than mine, although it could just be the photograph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko