Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Today Im wearing my "new to me" 1940's Barrister. I just got it today and gave it a good steam and brushing. Im putting a new ribbon on it soon, but heres some head shots of the hat as it is right now. I also re-did the crown and tried to make it look lke the crown on my 1950's dobbs which I really love. I also steamed the brim slightly to give it a slight "swoop." The prior owner had put screw type pins into the hat back in the 40's. I thought the pin holes would be small, they were actually pretty big, so I tried to work the felt in order to close the hole gaps. I also sanded, steamed, soft brushed, and hard brushed the holes. I was able to close them for the most part, but in doing so, brought the original color of the felt to the surface where most of the hat has slightly faded. So now it looks like two stains where the pin holes were, but its actually good clean felt. I am going to get a 2 inch band to cover the holes, and after measuring, realized the two inch ribbon would cover both small holes perfectly.

DSC03216.jpg

DSC03217.jpg

DSC03198.jpg

Heres a shot of the auction picture with one of the pins in the hat:

barristerebayshot1.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
Billy, rlk, mayserwegener,RBH,Joshbru3. Very nice hats. Thanks for sharing.

RBH, I did not know that straw hats change color with age. Interesting.

Billy, great choice going with the Homburg for the special day. Congratulations!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
My Art Fawcett Montecristi, at the Samoa-Japan world cup cricket ladies game in Tochigi prefecture. The first hot day of the year...

April2010035.jpg

Dreispitz

One Too Many
daizawaguy said:
My Art Fawcett Montecristi, at the Samoa-Japan world cup cricket ladies game in Tochigi prefecture. The first hot day of the year...

April2010035.jpg

Sharp, indeed! Picture taken with a Summilux 35 lens?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
Also happy Golden Week!
Thank-you Sir! Mon-Wed is a national holiday. It`s been perfect weather. But frankly the whole Spring was a write-off - I cannot remember a day that had reasonable weather - very unusual for Japan.

No Dreis, not a summicor but a Nikon 18-200 - its a lens at 1/6th the price, but does surprise on performance. it`s not my walk-about lens though, too large a DoF...

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
suitedcboy said:
DSC03216.jpg

DSC03217.jpg

Looks GREAT! Love what you did with it! I'm very impressed.

CRH said:
Very impressed, here too!

Thanks very much suitedcboy and CRH. I really appreciate it. I literally spent over 4 hours, shaping, cooling, sanding, bending, etc. The current crown shape and brim shape is where I want it, but it still needs some work. I have to get the one stain out of the crown (its hard to see with the flash) and somehow find a new 2 or 2 1/8 inch ribbon to match the outer edge binding. I was thinking of taking it to optimo to have the ribbon replaced and maybe see if they can get the stain out. Its about the size of a dime. Do you guys have any tricks for getting stains out of felt without bleaching the color out?

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Joshbru3 said:
Thanks very much suitedcboy and CRH. I really appreciate it. I literally spent over 4 hours, shaping, cooling, sanding, bending, etc. The current crown shape and brim shape is where I want it, but it still needs some work. I have to get the one stain out of the crown (its hard to see with the flash) and somehow find a new 2 or 2 1/8 inch ribbon to match the outer edge binding. I was thinking of taking it to optimo to have the ribbon replaced and maybe see if they can get the stain out. Its about the size of a dime. Do you guys have any tricks for getting stains out of felt without bleaching the color out?

No tips here being that I am slowly learning about hats, just wanted to add that I love the hat.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
It was really hot in Chicago today, so this afternoon I switched to my Vintage 60's brown Resistol 990 stingy. After seeing my results last night with my Barrister, I decided to redo the crown on my Resistol too. For the Resistol crown reshaping I also copied my vintage 60's Dobbs 5th ave, which by far has my favorite crown shape of all time. I think the Resistol came out great. It matches the Dobbs perfectly. The resistol took very little time because it didnt need any cosmetic work. I bought the hat in mint condition. The previous crown looked too much like a "step pyramid." Here's some pics:

DSC03220.jpg

DSC03222.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner