Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This brick wall runs along a shortcut to one of my classes. The area is never populated with people and is nearly always under intense sunlight. Plus I like brick :).

I'll admit the hat doesn't look as good on me as the CD, but it is noticeably more comfortable than the CD (hard to believe, I know), reflects more heat than that BG color, and has a wider brim. I could ask for a better day hat, but they'd just give me another Lightning Ridge lol!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Stetson St. Regis today. Wore it around, went into a couple of stores. Of course, at the time, I had worn a leather jacket.

Photoon2010-10-21at18302.jpg

As a bonus, here's a Fed IV picture, and a question. Would a tawny fawn Federation be a better choice than an acorn Stylemaster, if I'm going to purchase another Akubra? Or for that matter, would a silverbelly Campdraft be a good choice?

Photoon2010-10-21at1829.jpg

P.S. Most of my wardrobe happens to consist of blue shirts, dark, light, very pale, etc... Almost every day it's one or the other few. Maybe this'll help determining the right hat color?

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Would a tawny fawn Federation be a better choice than an acorn Stylemaster, if I'm going to purchase another Akubra? Or for that matter, would a silverbelly Campdraft be a good choice?
P.S. Most of my wardrobe happens to consist of blue shirts, dark, light, very pale, etc... Almost every day it's one or the other few. Maybe this'll help determining the right hat color?

With the wardrobe you describe, any type of "fawn" or grey-to-white (i.e. Silverbelly) ought to work well. The acorn fawn of the stylemaster seems to have some yellow-ish undertones, so be aware of that. I think that all three that you mention would be excellent choices, so no help there lol...I guess the best question would be: In what order do you want to purchase them :) ?

Last edited:

theinterchange

One Too Many
Stetson St. Regis today. Wore it around, went into a couple of stores. Of course, at the time, I had worn a leather jacket.

Photoon2010-10-21at18302.jpg

As a bonus, here's a Fed IV picture, and a question. Would a tawny fawn Federation be a better choice than an acorn Stylemaster, if I'm going to purchase another Akubra? Or for that matter, would a silverbelly Campdraft be a good choice?

That St Regis really looks great on you!

I'd have to agree with Alexander, any would work well with your daily wear wardrobe.

Randy

The Good

Call Me a Cab
With the wardrobe you describe, any type of "fawn" or grey-to-white (i.e. Silverbelly) ought to work well. The acorn fawn of the stylemaster seems to have some yellow-ish undertones, so be aware of that. I think that all three that you mention would be excellent choices, so no help there lol...I guess the best question would be: In what order do you want to purchase them :).

I may have mentioned in the Akubra thread that I would try to score two at the same time. It's pretty likely that'll happen this Christmas. Now then it's just a matter of eliminating the third option, in favor of the other two...

I should also mention, I'll be wanting a light/earth-tone (since it'll be summer) colored fedora (generally speaking here) with a good enough brim for sun protection, that is "fashionably" suitable for Europe; something that doesn't make me stand out too bad. To me, the Campdraft is borderline western wear, even actually western in some cases (i.e. cattleman's crease, classic Open Road style), although I would love to own a hat of this type, and will likely be acquiring it late this year or early next year.

I'm not sure if Europeans, people in Croatia in particular, look too fondly on the American western/cowboy culture or anything that screams "American" in general wear. It helps that I'm of Croatian heritage through my mother (who is a dual citizen), but I don't know the language, and I don't necessarily want to be a subject of ridicule while traveling there. You know, I don't want to be perceived as a blatantly stereotypical/tacky tourist type that Europeans just happen to associate with us Americans...

My point is, I'm trying to see if a proper balance can be achieved here between integrating an element of my own style and blending in somewhat with the locals simultaneously without looking too "tourist."

Mr E Train

One Too Many
A Campdraft with a fedora crease isn't a western hat, it's just a fedora with a thin ribbon. I doubt Europeans would give it a second glance, much less be offended. If they don't like you because they think you're an American, just tell them you're Canadian, you'll be fine.

theinterchange

One Too Many
My point is, I'm trying to see if a proper balance can be achieved here between integrating an element of my own style and blending in somewhat with the locals simultaneously without looking too "tourist."

Smart line of thinking. Yeah, the Campdraft/Open Road style hat would be perceived as more "western" than other hats if more for its size than anything.

Hmm

I'm sure you're wanting to mix things up, but a Tawny Fawn Federation might [?] work. but a wider brim might be better for protection from the elements.

You should be able to get a wide variety of opinions around here, we're good at sharing what we think.

Randy

RBH

Bartender
Smart line of thinking. Yeah, the Campdraft/Open Road style hat would be perceived as more "western" than other hats if more for its size than anything.

Randy

All the western hat wearers at Major Moores place this weekend, liked my Campdraft. But most all commented the brim is much to short.
I do not think the Campdraft is any more western than my Federation is.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
All the western hat wearers at Major Moores place this weekend, liked my Campdraft. But most all commented the brim is much to short.

The Italians think it is apparently.
5104074272_71b3a3dc73_z.jpg

Last edited:

theinterchange

One Too Many

I should have been clearer. I meant uninitiated Europeans would likely draw the comparison of American tourist wearing a big hat = Cowboy! I don't think they're [Campdraft/Open Roads] western looking even with a cattleman's crease.

Randy

Torpedo

One Too Many
Regarding Europeans equating thin ribbon fedoras with cowboy hats, I must say this may happen. I have had my thin ribbons occassionally referred to as "your cowboy hat", (Open Roads, Strats). And it is because of the ribbon, not the crease - none of them I wear with a cattleman crease. Conversely, I have a couple of fedoras with center dents and side creases, similar enough to a cattleman crease (specially for the uninitiated), and none takes them for cowboy hats, because apparently the fatter ribbon offsets the crown appearance.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Back up in the high 80's down here today so gonna stay with a Panama....

.... regardless what the calender says! Will be wearing another of my Medio Fino Montecristi's from PB. This one in a classic Optimo crease by the Ortega's in Montecristi with a brown pugaree band:

005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183