Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warbird

One Too Many
Continuing with the theme of a wide brim hat again today. What you can't see me wearing is my favorite boots, chocolate Caimans. Nothing is better than slipping your feet into a pair of cowboy boots and plopping a fur felt hat on your hat. Good stuff.

IMG_0754-2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Puddle jumping today - from the other side, Borsalino marque grande luxe, Firenze, Missoni scarf, Roma - from this side, peacoat, Navy issue with 1932 Buffalo built Pierce-Arrow in the background.

borso_w_piercearrow.jpg

Hard to photograph the 5x velour finish - more accurate hat color in this pic:

marque_grand_luxe.jpg

marque_grand_luxe2.jpg

marque_grand_luxe3.jpg

hope there's some sun where you are!

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
mine are Lucchese ropers too. Never thought a pair of boots could be comfortable, but I think I could sleep in these.

If you can sleep in those, then DO NOT come down to San Antonio and get a pair made-to-measure as you will NEVER take them off ! I've been getting mine custom made for about 20 years now. A World of difference in fit !! Sorry for going OT :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

warbird

One Too Many
I tried to redo it, so maybe it works now.

My caimans are my favorite because they are comfy and just look fantastic. But, my most comfortable boots are about 25 years old now, on their second or third sole, distressed oil tanned brown leather. They are great. Unfortunately several pairs of my boots just don't fit anymore. i stretched them out when I had gained weight. After I lost it they were too big. Wearing them in the rain hasn't done much to shrink them back up. I have put cowboy boot insoles in two pair of them and they at least can be worn now. The vast majority of my boots are 20+ years old. I only have a couple of pair, including the Caimans, that I have bought since then.

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you can sleep in those, then DO NOT come down to San Antonio and get a pair made-to-measure as you will NEVER take them off ! I've been getting mine custom made for about 20 years now. A World of difference in fit !! Sorry for going OT :)

So what is a price range for custom mades then, and are they that much better than off the shelf? And if they are so much better, do I need to go to Texas to get a pair?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
So what is a price range for custom mades then, and are they that much better than off the shelf? And if they are so much better, do I need to go to Texas to get a pair?

Custom made in calf or goatskin, ie. non-exotic like the Caiman, Ropers are around $800.00 and yes you have to come to the factory in San Antonio as THEY measure your foot to make the last. Once the last is made, you can order from where you live and they will send 'em to you, though a trip to San Antonio is ALWAYS worth it. It's a neat city with a LOT of history. :)

Alan, you, the hat and the car seem to be meant to be together there. :eusa_clap
Dan

Thanks Dan - I've tried talking to the bank that now occupies the old Pierce-Arrow showroom about that, but have yet to get the keys. But this is a hundred yards from my office building, at least I can go have lunch with the car every now and again. 8^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn