Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fedora and sunglasses combo. I've lately taken a liking of this, actually.

Photoon2011-02-25at1735.jpg

Is that the star formerly known as St. Regis? If so, you did a great job on the makeover! :eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Jimmy, how do you get that great swoop on the front brims of your Open Roads? Or is that just the camera perspective throwing me off? My OR brims are so stiff, this is about the best I can do. Any advice is appreciated.

First of all, thanks for the comments on the blue OR, gents -- much appreciated. :)

Cracker -- you've posted a couple of nice looking OR's today. :eusa_clap

In terms of brim swoop -- no, it's not the camera angle. I shape all of the brims on my lids, and, for me, I prefer a fairly pronounced swoop. Here is the technique I use:

Originally Posted by jimmy the lid
From time to time, I find that the front of the brim rides up a bit high and flat, and doesn't really swoop down the way I would like it to. Here's what I do:

1. First, you are going to need a source of steam and proximity to a mirror -- all at once!

2. I have a hand-held steamer, so I make a few passes around the underside of the brim (keeping the steam away from the sweatband), as well as the topside of the brim -- just the front part of the hat. I use just enough steam for the felt to soften a bit -- but not enough for the brim to really lose its shape and become droopy.

3. Once I have done the steam, I quickly put the hat on my head in front of a mirror. Then I take both hands and grab both sides of the brim, just above my ears. Fingers are flat and extended on top of the brim. Thumbs are fully extended under the brim. Using light pressure, grip the brim between the extended fingers on top and the extended thumbs underneath (forming a kind of vise across the brim).

4. Now, in one smooth motion, simply slide both hands toward the front of the hat (each hand travels from the ear to halfway around the front of the brim on either side). While you are doing this, you are looking at the hat in the mirror and swooping the brim just as you would like to have it. I generally repeat the sweep of the hands around the brim two or three times to kind of train the felt.

5. If the brim isn't quite where you want it, then repeat the process. I find that, after a couple of times, the brim swoops perfectly. And, because you have shaped the brim while looking at yourself in the mirror, you have shaped it just the way you want it to look.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
JtL

Brando11

A-List Customer
Just tried your technique on my OR, Jimmy. The stiff brim and bound edge were preventing me from getting a natural looking front swoop. Using your method worked just great, and I can always repeat it a few times if necessary- Thanks for the advice.

http://

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Is that the star formerly known as St. Regis? If so, you did a great job on the makeover! :eusa_clap

Yep! That's the one, I did the brim cutting last night, dampened the felt, and with scissors. It was intimidating, but I think the end result is good, maybe I could even refine some of the more jagged edges if I still see any. Since it's not really properly a Stetson St. Regis anymore, I think I'll take to seeing this one as more of a "Stetson Samourai," referenced after the hat in the film Le Samourai, which is what I wanted to base it on when I first bought it, really.

Neophyte

Good deal :). You know what you like in a hat, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for myself. Congrats on a job well done :eusa_clap.

danofarlington

Very nice hat. Today, first day EVER, that I wore my bowler to work and NOBODY stared, giggled, questioned me, or made a snyde comment. I guess I have worn it enough that they all just accept it now?

Maybe. Or maybe it's the pressure of observers having seen other men in hats, over and over, so they are less shocked and intimidated by it all. Ch-ch-ch-changes!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Just tried your technique on my OR, Jimmy. The stiff brim and bound edge were preventing me from getting a natural looking front swoop. Using your method worked just great, and I can always repeat it a few times if necessary- Thanks for the advice.

Glad to help, Brando11. You can definitely see the difference between your avatar and the new look.

Cheers,
JtL

Chinaski

One Too Many
Jimmy, that's a beautiful color, and one you definitely don't see often on an OR. Do you snap the brim down in the back as well?

Cracker, whatever you end up doing with that swoop, you are just one of those guys who was born to wear a lid. Those look great on you.

Nazarin

New in Town
Welcome everybody. That's my first post on the forum and also that's my first hat: a melange green felt fedora. I bought it for 130 PLN which equals 45 $, so that's nothing impressive, but I love it none the less. :) A product of polish manufacturer. Sorry for the poor quality of photos.
zdjcie0150n.jpg

zdjcie0137001.jpg

danofarlington

Welcome everybody. That's my first post on the forum and also that's my first hat: a melange green felt fedora. I bought it for 130 PLN which equals 45 $, so that's nothing impressive, but I love it none the less. :) A product of polish manufacturer. Sorry for the poor quality of photos.
zdjcie0150n.jpg

zdjcie0137001.jpg

Good outdoor hat. Wool or fur felt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn