Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Penney's Marathon. As I found the crown a bit too low in proportion to the brim I trimmed it (the brim, not the crown...) a few month ago and replaced the original ribbon (which matched the tan color of the felt) with a brown one. Today - for the first time ever - I stitched a new brown 3/8" binding to the brim (ok, a few days ago I practiced a little with an old beater before I had a go at the Penney's).

Here's what it looks like with the new binding:

Good job, Mario! ;)

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Dobbs Twenty in the rod making shop this morning
IMG_0389.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
Well, I'm still above ground, so that's a good thing. Got a bit of brain damage from the war so I wear a hat to keep my brains in. :)

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Penney's Marathon. As I found the crown a bit too low in proportion to the brim I trimmed it (the brim, not the crown...) a few month ago and replaced the original ribbon (which matched the tan color of the felt) with a brown one. Today - for the first time ever - I stitched a new brown 3/8" binding to the brim (ok, a few days ago I practiced a little with an old beater before I had a go at the Penney's).

Here's what it looks like with the new binding:

penney's_marathon_tan_03_18_11.jpg

Love your changes to the hat, excellent job.....

I don't thing I would be able to do that, although I would like to learn.....

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Great picture of a wonderful lid, Mike. Do you make cane fly-rods? :)

Thank you, David, hatophile, Jeff, Ordinary Guy, and Dennis, I appreciate the kind words!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Good job, Mario! ;)

Thanks! :D

Mario, Fantastic! The binding work looks tight. Did you use small stitches? I don't think I have the patience to pull that off.

Yes, I used relatively small stitches. And I worked with a sewing machine - which I operated by hand. The use of the pedal on such a tiny space is for the pros, really. When I fitted the binding to the brim I made it just a wee bit smaller than the brim's circurmference, thus avoiding most of the puckers. What I found to be the most difficult thing was to get the ribbon's top and bottom edges to align properly. It's easy to have it look great from the top, but when you look at the ribbon from the bottom side, you may find that you've stitched too far into the center - or even beside the edge. This one turned out ok, even if it is not really perfect. Well...what can I say? Practice, practice, practice... :D

I don't thing I would be able to do that, although I would like to learn.....

Patience is very important here. The first two attemps turned out somewhat less than satisfactory. I was actually very close to start yelling, stomping, cursing and breaking things... ;)

I'm just waiting for a batch of vintage ribbon I ordered from the US - there are some more hats that will need some retouching. :D

And lest I forget: I really have to thank Art and TonyB for their help and encouragement! :)

Last edited:
Delectans, That is a great Mallory 25! The black - whit contrast is fantastic!

Rodkins, Very cool photo! I like seeing all the fishing rods. Also super Dobbs 25!

Thanks! :D

Yes, I used relatively small stitches. I worked with a sewing machine - which I operated by hand. The use of the pedal on such a tiny space is for the pros, really. I found that the most difficult thing is to get the ribbon's top and bottom edges to align properly. It's easy to have it look great from the top, but when you look at the ribbon from the bottom side, you may find that you've stitched too far into the center - or even beside the edge. Practice, practice, practice...

Come to think of it: I really have to thank Art and TonyB for their help and encouragement! :)

I would also think keeping the stitch from waving would be a problem. Now you have to find a brim binding sewing machine from one of the dismanteled Hutfabriks!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I would also think keeping the stitch from waving would be a problem. Now you have to find a brim binding sewing machine from one of the dismanteled Hutfabriks!

Keeping the stitich from waving I didn't find so difficult, but then I worked the machine by hand-moving the wheel, stitch by stitch. I'm not really sure but I think that the sewing machines for the brims aren't that special. I'd rather love to find a sweatband sewing machine, just like the one that I missed at the German 'Bay a couple of days ago...

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
DRB ... as we get older, we do come to realize that sometimes it's just better to keep the lid on.
Fortunately, people seem to cut us a little more slack, especially if you wear a tie with the hat, and an odd tie at that!
Of course that is tough to do with pajamas or a t-shirt ...

Sam

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Delectans, That is a great Mallory 25! The black - whit contrast is fantastic!

Thanks, Steve! I did not get the opportunity to comment on your wonderful Goldsiegal Velour from the other day when you first posted it, but if you will allow a belated comment: Breathtaking! :eek:

I am continually amazed by the quality and variety of Austro-Germanic lids you have been able to acquire, and can only admire them in your photos, for it will be a long while before I can hope to find similar examples in my size. :(

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm still above ground, so that's a good thing. Got a bit of brain damage from the war so I wear a hat to keep my brains in. :)

I suspected as such, Dennis, and sincerely hope that you are feeling well, and that the situation is stable. Best wishes for any ongoing treatment you are undertaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR