Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coble

A-List Customer
001.JPG

The Black Jack Strat today. This one get a lot of wear.

Great hat Jwalls, and WOW look at the hat wall, did you build that yourself it looks awesome. I see the fedora right behind you with almost a copper ribbon and binding on light gray, thats a beauty as well.

DJH, That western is becoming of you. Fits you really well.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
is that a welted edge? and whats the color of felt, as well as bow color. Great looking hat, i like the way you shaped the brim.

Thanks coble! Bone colored rabbit felt, with dark burgundy ribbon. The edge is overwelt and Parker did everything precisely as requested-- 2 1/4" brim with slight dip in front and almost no cup in back. I haven't modified it in any way.

BTW-- that sahara VS long hair is incredible! I rarely see a long hair finish I really like, but that one kind of calls to me.

Last edited:

coble

A-List Customer
i wore this hat over the weekend, yep its a beanie and i know i'm about to get a lot of remarks about it hahaha, but it was cold in the art gallery. All the pieces you see on the wall are mine. I'll add my corner so you could see more of my work. It was a live show, so that was a first for me. If you noticed i'm multi tasking hahaha, cell phone in one hand, pallet in the other, and brush in mouth. Anyways i know its not a classic hat at any means. The comment i received when it was posted by the gallery was from the gallery owner saying " So you decided to paint the rest of the event with your mouth, thats impressive."
310397_316336225047924_130746463606902_1556562_143813528_n.jpg

269837_10150321412805350_503590349_10076926_4752774_n.jpg

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I took some photos, i changed the brim design a little. But thats because i gave it a bath, and combed it out, and i redid the teardrop. Its fairing extremely well, its a little over a year now, and fits like a glove. The sahara really doesnt get as dirty as i thought it would, Art is using really great beaver felt. Also dealing with the texture it still has that long hair to it, especially after i combed it out, so its aging really well, for reference of change in brim my avatar is how it used to look. I also took the pinch out of the front. I just used a rough brush, and soap and water. http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/389017_10150463295365350_503590349_11163174_1718308049_n.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for the response. You have answered many a questions sir. As to dirty, I suspected that it the beaver would shed dirt. Most of my other lighter colored hats shed dirt quickly. Nice working the brim. I tend to use a hard brush and steam as my tools for shaping. A bath - in my experience it would be colemans white gas, not necessarily water. Good to hear it works though.

I will post up additional pics of my smoother finish saraha colored fedora in the Art thread. It would be interesting to see a comparision of the different felt finishes.

Thanks again, Eric -

DRB

One Too Many
AL: yes Sir! Optimo makes a hat like no other. I wear it on very special occasions, or sometimes just around the house to have it melt onto my head. I don't know how they do it.

Gary White is sending me 2 more next week he said. One is a taupe cavanagh (I got his last cav. he has in my size) and the other is some blue hairy beast that Winchester hat co. sent me. Gary is doing that one for me for free, just because he has never done one like that.

jwalls

Vendor
Great hat Jwalls, and WOW look at the hat wall, did you build that yourself it looks awesome. I see the fedora right behind you with almost a copper ribbon and binding on light gray, thats a beauty as well.

The hat you mentioned was made for a customer who passed away before he could pick it up. I like it but it's not my size.

Stetson Real Nutria Quality Western.

It was a nice day for me... got to enjoy one of my photos appearing as NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day. This is always a thrill for an amateur and though I've been lucky enough to have a few selected, this is the first sun picture since NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory started beaming back images. So I thought it was a good idea to wear a big hat to cover my swelled head! :)

111511.jpg

If you haven't seen them, there are additional pictures of this nice 1930s hat here.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Real Nutria Quality Western.

It was a nice day for me... got to enjoy one of my photos appearing as NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day. This is always a thrill for an amateur and though I've been lucky enough to have a few selected, this is the first sun picture since NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory started beaming back images. So I thought it was a good idea to wear a big hat to cover my swelled head! :)

111511.jpg

If you haven't seen them, there are additional pictures of this nice 1930s hat here.

Great picture, Alan. Congratulations! PS: is that a Noguchi lamp behind you?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Nope, you're clearly in the saddle pardner. Nice choice. I made a similar decision today.

Whay Dave, you look right nice in that thur ca'boy hat, a little more growth on that mustache and you'll look like Tom Selleck!

Thanks guys! I must say, wearing the western feels really odd, going back to a fedora is like not wearing a hat at all.

Several Loungers had commented on this one while the auction was in progress, saying it would be a good quality hat. The price was right - so what the heck? Not sure if I'll wear it, hang it on the wall or sell it. Maybe I'll have to try harder to like bloody country music?

001.JPG

The Black Jack Strat today. This one get a lot of wear.

Like the Strat, jwalls, but, like Coble, I also really like the one at the top on your wall!

i wore this hat over the weekend, yep its a beanie and i know i'm about to get a lot of remarks about it hahaha, but it was cold in the art gallery.
310397_316336225047924_130746463606902_1556562_143813528_n.jpg

Ha, the beanie goes well with your arty stuff. Your work looks great and a nice gallery to display it as well.

Alan - the old Stetson looks good on you - nice hat! Congrats on the Astronomy Pic of the Day - I remember when you posted a link to that shot of the sun - spectacular!!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I post a shot now and then in this thread mainly to provide a reference point. You capable and talented chaps post sublime photographs: full size, well-framed, resplendently colorful shots that evoke bliss and longing for us fortunate viewers. Thanks ever so much!

Back to the "reference point" though. My humble offerings are undersized, slightly blurry, and hopelessly prosaic by comparison. That's okay, I hope.

I spent a couple of hours in the misty woods this afternoon searching for mushrooms under the forest canopy and under my Stetson No. 1 Q. What a great hat! Pretty good haul, about 10 pounds of chanterelles and a few stray corals.

DSCF1563.jpg

EggHead

Practically Family
Randall, I miss Oregon and I miss mushrooms. My folks had 20 some acres of forest/river/meadows near Azalea. Fall was a great time to pick em.
There are some mycological groups in N. Ca, but I need to drive out a few hours out of town with them and just don't have that time. It's seldom that I have fresh wild ones.. and chanterelles are my favorite.
Good hat for mushroom picking.
Thanks for the picture.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
It's been said before, but my turn now: thank you, gentlemen, for this wonderful thread. Sometimes it really gets me through the day.

David-- no question, that is a cool cowboy hat. Now you just need a pair of leather chaps and a little more growth on that [presumably] Movember Moustache! Somebody give this man a jug and a washboard!

Alan-- I must congratulate you too, not just on the hat, but on the NASA pic of the day. That is simply awe-striking. What an amazing image!

slight digression: has anyone here seen Melancholia yet? There is some pretty spectacular (yet chilling) astronomical imagery in it, too, though I think Alan's work is superior. Still, ever since seeing that film I can't stop looking cautiously at the sobering sky...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR