Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
I am really liking your spec-less computer portraits of late, Perry! The unusually warm weather has brought out the straws early this year, along with the new leaves and flowers. Panamas in March...I love it!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
I can see how it may seem intimidating and overwhelming, Ale, but do not let that stop you from visiting a few clubs and talking with the coaches and fencers. I am certain that you will be enthusiastically welcomed and introduced to the sport. Remember that you are evaluating the clubs, and not the other way around, and that even national champs start out as complete novices with little or no prior knowledge of the sport.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Wow--

I fenced in college--épée--and it was really hard work (and I was very fit!). Haven't thought of taking it up again but I just might given this inspiring post. Spending most of my efforts these days on squash, which has the benefit of being one of those games you never try to win--you just let the other guy lose...

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Happy Fawcett Friday!!

Dark Moss ArtLite today

smugshot1614862-L.jpg

Al, Thanks! That is great that you fence under Ro at Twin Cities. I gave up Div 1 fencing back in 1997 and started fencing Vet in 2004. Hopefully will meet at a NAC or nationals some day.

Manfred, Currently I am ranked 12th in the 50-59 age group. I will probably end up around 8th which is not good enough to make the US Vet 50-59 world team (will be in Krems, Austria) so maybe next year. In my younger days I was on the senior national points list (World / Olympic team selection).

Ale, You should give it a try. As Al stated NYC is a major fencing center. For saber (I am bias) Manhattan Fencing Center (national men's saber coach / team) and the Fencers Club are the top choices.

Alex, You should give it a try again but switch to saber. :)

Alan, Thanks! The cherry blossoms + weather were awesome!

Perry, Thanks!

Wally, Not this time but Gus made me hat a couple years ago. Gus is a great guy!

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve. I'll definitely give it a shot this summer!

You get to wear a mask!

Stuyvesant High School had one of the few fencing teams in NYC public schools when I was a kid. The fencers used to train running up and down the six floors of stairs. It looked horrible. :)

Steve, great to know this other side of your game... thanks for sharing.

Alan, I am sure you know Neil Diamond was a saber fencer at Stuyvesant. He received to a scholarship to fence at NYU. BTW I am product of NJ high school fencing.

That green vintage silhouette looks great, David... on a quick glance it seems to have a bow only without ribbon. That would be an interesting design.

Josh, Ale, Manfred... thank you for your comments on yesterday's choice.

What hats will Friday bring?

I didn't know that... a decade or so ahead of me. By the late 1960s the mood was more into politics than sports. David Axelrod and Eric Holder were classmates. Frank McCourt was our new English teacher. I'll never forget watching those guys run the stairs. I was on the football team briefly. We never trained that hard.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
In South America, where I grew up between Buenos Aires and Quito, all we did was soccer. I played all through highschool and made it to me minor division of the national team, then my knee got destroyed in a foul and I had to stop. I now play again but I want to try something new. Fencing has always been on my list :D

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
In my opinion, David, your dark moss is Art's best example yet. The edge looks perfectly executed, the crown and brim styling are just right--man the crease looks superb!--and the ribbon is nice, simple and classic.What a beautiful hat!

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I'm wearing my Cervo traveller as I have soccer tonight and this one rolls nicely. No noggin shot, though.

D-1.jpg

This one went though my vent machine, too :D
IMG_2581.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner