Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
David, beautiful ArtLite, perfect forms. Looks really good.

Ale, great cervo, cool the Vent holes!

gtdean, very very nice, I like it.

I-Puppy, wow, that's a wide-brimmed VS. Very sharp.

For me, my Emerson Peerless Dryette from the 40s

wear49.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Today I'm wearing a 1950's Panama that I just redid. I tried the telescope crown, I really did, but I just couldn't pull it off. The porkpie crease was a bit lower than the milan that I got, so I decided to do a C-crown for this one. I blocked the crown out to 5 1/2 inches verses 6 inches in height and then creased it by hand. I left the optimo lines for effect. This hat was LOADED with the "White Treatment" and the solution was literally running down my hand as I steamed it. Before I put the new ribbon on, I took 30 minutes and sponged as much of the white solution off the hat. The color is a bit more natural now (more yellow) but I actually like it better than having a stark white hat. I put a new ribbon on using 30's/40's NOS ribbon and then re-flanged the brim. I think it came out pretty good. There's a TON of stiffener in this hat, so its not as light as I would have liked, and not as soft/pliable as I would have liked, but it most definitely hold its shape. The weave isn't super fine, but it makes a good looking hat I think.

Redidpanama2.jpg

Redidpanama1.jpg

Redidpanama3.jpg

Redidpanama4.jpg

Redidpanama5.jpg

Before Pics:

panamaporkpie2.jpg

panamaporkpie1.jpg

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
zetwal, Josh, Ale and Steve, thanks so much for the kind words, I really appreciate them.
Josh, you may be right with the wider-brimmed, It looks better. Its a great Hat.
Thanks for the Infos about it.

Josh, your Panama, wow, gorgeous work. You have the feeling for it.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Manfred; You look good in the hat.

Josh; Your manipulations of hats is impressive. This panama hat looks very good.

Ale; Very good choice for a soccer evening. The lockers at our local health club are arge enough to hold my hat when I am using their facilities.

GT; You are well hatted sir. Rotate with 2 great hats - no change in the comments. Great.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Wow--

I fenced in college--épée--and it was really hard work (and I was very fit!). Haven't thought of taking it up again but I just might given this inspiring post. Spending most of my efforts these days on squash, which has the benefit of being one of those games you never try to win--you just let the other guy lose...

Great to see another epee fencer here. Hope you get back to fencing again, and don't let Steve talk you into switching to saber, either! ;)

Al, Thanks! That is great that you fence under Ro at Twin Cities. I gave up Div 1 fencing back in 1997 and started fencing Vet in 2004. Hopefully will meet at a NAC or nationals some day.

Sounds good!

You get to wear a mask!

Stuyvesant High School had one of the few fencing teams in NYC public schools when I was a kid. The fencers used to train running up and down the six floors of stairs. It looked horrible. :)

Ahh...footwork and drills, the bane of every fencer's existence. I think you would look smashing with a fencing mask on, Alan.

Thanks, Al. I'm going to make a point to try it this summer :)
In South America, where I grew up between Buenos Aires and Quito, all we did was soccer. I played all through highschool and made it to me minor division of the national team, then my knee got destroyed in a foul and I had to stop. I now play again but I want to try something new. Fencing has always been on my list :D

Great, Ale! There is a slim chance we will be in NYC early this Summer before our big overseas trip. If so, I will definitely make a point of visiting a few clubs with you. As you will see, fencing is an art as well as a sport, one which you can continue to practice and perfect well into your 70s and beyond. Wonderful that you play soccer at such a high level...

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That green vintage silhouette looks great, David... on a quick glance it seems to have a bow only without ribbon. That would be an interesting design.

Thanks, Alan. Confirms that Art did a good job of matching the ribbon to the felt =)

David, Good looking Artlite.

Cheers, BR! I'm so glad I got the ArtLites - been perfect for this warm early spring.

In my opinion, David, your dark moss is Art's best example yet. The edge looks perfectly executed, the crown and brim styling are just right--man the crease looks superb!--and the ribbon is nice, simple and classic.What a beautiful hat!

Thanks a lot, Ale.

Sometimes simple is the best way to go and I think Art has pulled it off superbly with this hat - it is one of my favorites for sure. I've said before that Art's welted brim is the next best thing to getting a real Cavanagh one.

Enjoy wearing the Cervo today!

Today & alternating for the last 2 weeks with my customized Akubra Imperial moonstone Fed4, the Shelby's Fine Fedoras Black Jack Strat in silverbelly....
Photo-0121.jpg

I love the Black Jack Strat! (hard to say that fast!!)

IS - nice Hitchhiker. I'm sure it came through the rain unscaved?

Manfred - thanks for the VS comment. I know nothing about Emerson hats, but that one looks great on you - nice job!

Josh - you are becoming the master of the Panama shape change!

Eric - your Dove Strat VS is a favorite of mine, always nice to see you enjoying it.

Alan - I don't think I could pull of that look, but you've made it your own! I think evolution would have worked out differently if cellphone self portraits had been around thousands of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner