Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Manfred, Charlie, ManofKent & Jeff.

Love the Tumwater Andy.

Nice Cavanagh Charlie.

Wegener Melone
IMG_9934.JPG

IMG_9949.JPG

IMG_9938.JPG

Richard, Thanks! By the way great to see the Panizza President from RMR!

dh66, Thanks too!

Andy, Cool look with the Tumwater midnight blue!

hatsRme, I really like the look of that Cavanagh!

Sam, Always great to see the Wegener Melone!

Matt, Super Crofut & Knapp Forty! Really nice color combo!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Looking at that hat, it makes me wonder a few things. I notice how wonderfully thin that felt is. Something that us vintage hat collectors and wearers have come to LOVE about vintage lids. I have owned many vintage hats that were felted extremely dense and pounced to a thinner weight even though they might not have been "lightweight" felts. I have to wonder if there was a financial reason for this.

At one time hat companies were making millions of hats a year and if they could find a way to save just a little bit of fur per felt body, when extrapolated over 1 million hat bodies, that's a good amount of savings. I have always wondered if the fact that many vintage felts were thinner wasn't so much a design aspect as it was a financial move. It just so happened that these thinner weight bodies made better hats, but in order for a thinner body not to tear on the block, they would have had to be felted much denser than a thicker body. Because of those two aspects, we had better quality felt bodies and that wonderful "Vintage" felt that we all know and love.

I look at your hat and see a beautifully felted hat body that is thin and dense and is NOT 100% beaver, nor is it 100% rabbit. Hat Corporation of America was able to produce such a hat body out of a wool/rabbit mix. For the most part, the dress felt bodies we see from major manufactures today such as Hatco, Akubra, Dorfman Pacific, etc are thicker and not felted as densely. I have to wonder.......if these hat companies are trying to save money by not working the bodies as much as they were in the past (I believe that's what I was told by the Winchester rep at the last Fedorafest) why not use less fur.......save money there....and work the bodies longer for a denser product.

I also wonder if the average person today buying a higher end production fedora would appreciate the dry crease-ability of a thinner felt with less shellac or would they think it was a cheaper product because it was thinner and didn't hold shape as well as a thick felt body with a ton of shellac.

ManofKent

Andy - Lovely Tumwater.

Charlie - Great Cavanagh. If you're wanting to know how many shades of grey there are, I believe a film company is looking for a replacement leading man. Have you considered a career change?

Sam - great proportions to that Melone.

Matt - a fine looking C&K

Alan - I love the crown on that Dobbs.

Mike - that's a really nice conversion.

ManofKent

Thanks for the comments on yesterday's Panizza President. Another one from RMR today, but with a brim width that probably appeals to a wider audience ;)

Thank you Richard, but I am TOO gray. But I like the idea.

Mike this convert is fantastic, and the photo is really perfect.

Terrific crown on your X-Country, Alan!

Richard snuck in before I could post... That brim appeals to a wider audience because it's PERFECT for you, sir.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen