Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao the Stetson is GREAT! Your new one with the glued "ribbon" is SPECTACULAR.
Thanks.

Joao, once again, showing why you're the King of the Westerns with your 5X Stetson!
Thanks. Is it possible to have a custom title?
Nice hat and guitar color.

Joao, another wide brim winner!
Thanks.

Just returned from more training, so not the usual head gear...
Your weapon looks intimidating but mine is more ;)
toygun.jpg

Today is my 30th Birthday. Not making a big thing of it - just a drink at our favorite local haunt - E9 Tavern. It did warrant a special hat:
1910's Congress Double Ring Beaver by Trimble. Originally sold less than an hour from where I sit right now.
Happy birthday. Now that is a find.

I turn 30 in July.........is it as traumatic as I've been told?? ;)
Not as reaching 40.

Well, I lost my new Akubra Banjo Paterson a few days ago when I hung it on my car's bike rack for a sec and...um...forgot to take it off as I drove away.
Not a very nice thing to... do. My brother lost a cellphone that way...

For today this (floppy) 4x beaver Stetson.
20140417.jpg

Copying Terry's photo...
20140417guitar.jpg

Epiphone Les Paul Goth Edition

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Ha! Excellent! Love that set up buddy!...I'd love to get my hands on an actual Gibson Les Paul. The '50s models of the Les Paul are going for pretty big money too.

They sure are.....and for honestly no reason. I have been around music my entire life and have studied vintage instruments (especially Gibsons) for about 20 years. I have played a 50's Les Paul and 50's Strat......all the stuff that goes for incredibly ridiculous money and honestly......they are not worth it. They play no different....actually.....a bit worse than modern American Made Gibson's and Fender's. The thing that people gravitate to is the sound the instrument gets from the vintage pickups. They do have a very uniquely vintage sound, but with all the custom pickup manufactures around these days who take apart old pickups and replicate them exactly, that sound can be replicated in a modern day instrument for about $200-$300 per pickup set. The best deal in Modern day Gibson's are the 2014 SG J14's that guitar center sells for $544 brand new. Slap a couple hundred bucks more in custom 57' style pickups, better sound/tone pots, and vintage style tuners and you will have a guitar that will outplay, sound better, and outlast a 56 Les Goldtop. The souped up SG.....around $1100 customized......the 56 Goldtop.......about $30k. Even a overpriced modern Les Paul Standard with a little pickup and pot customization will outperform a vintage 58-59 Les Paul Standard.

job

One Too Many
With a 1950's Les Paul you are buying a whole lot more than a guitar for playing alone.
There are many factors in play that make them valuable just like old cars or anything else.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
With a 1950's Les Paul you are buying a whole lot more than a guitar for playing alone.
There are many factors in play that make them valuable just like old cars or anything else.

True, but the reason vintage guitars from the 50's/60's, vintage cars from the 50's/60's, vintage drums from the 50's/60's, etc have gone through the roof in the last 20-30 years is because the baby boomers are driving the prices up. My father and I were talking about this the other day. Many boomers couldn't afford that Les Paul or that 69 'Cuda when they were younger......now some of them can and will pay top dollar to re-live a part of their youth. There's nothing wrong with that, but so many people equate a higher price with a higher quality object and it just isn;t always the case.

A Les Paul is made of Solid Mahogany for the main body, a Maple top cap (for the Les Paul Standard, etc), chrome/nickel tuners and hardware, pickups made of magnets wound in copper, and abalone inlay. All of these materials are the EXACT same as they were in the 50's/60's. They even still use Nitrocellulose as a finish. Sure, the guitars blanks were not cut with Computerized CNC machines in the 50's/60's but they still used templates and electric saws. They were never hand carved. (With the exception of some custom shop models). They also didn't use old growth wood as the instruments from the 20's/30's did. By the 50's/60's a good chunk of that old growth wood had been used up.

My point is......when it comes to hats.....the materials and processes used today are sub par to the ones from the past. Thats why we love vintage hats. When it comes to guitars, and more specifically SOLID BODY guitars....there is honestly very little difference. Not enough to explain a $25k-$30k difference in price. That's just absurd.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Javier - nice Homburg. I like the crease.

Garrett - Happy Birthday. Glad we got a photo of the birthday hat rather than the birthday suit :D Fantastic hat.

Michael - nice looking Borso - the shades hide the lack of sleep well :)

Harv - lovely Whippet

Terry - if you covered my patch I could have found a re-felting job for you (and no I can't afford your travel costs ;) )

Charlie - lovely Whiskey!

Neophyte - the crease looks good. Sorry about the loss of the Banjo, still it's an opportunity for trying another hat... Well done on the Phd

Perry - nice OR, I see what you mean about the strat resemblance

David - looks great with the leather.

jhe888 - very nice!

Joao - great guitar pic.

Rick - Looks great.

John - Not a bad photo at all. Both looking good.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Ha! Excellent! Love that set up buddy!...I'd love to get my hands on an actual Gibson Les Paul. The '50s models of the Les Paul are going for pretty big money too.
Thanks.
I don't play much. I wish I could but this fingers don't want to. That is the Goth Studio version. Plays better than the strat-cheap-copy I have (it has to).

They sure are.....and for honestly no reason. I have been around music my entire life and have studied vintage instruments (especially Gibsons) for about 20 years. I have played a 50's Les Paul and 50's Strat......all the stuff that goes for incredibly ridiculous money and honestly......they are not worth it. They play no different....actually.....a bit worse than modern American Made Gibson's and Fender's. The thing that people gravitate to is the sound the instrument gets from the vintage pickups. They do have a very uniquely vintage sound, but with all the custom pickup manufactures around these days who take apart old pickups and replicate them exactly, that sound can be replicated in a modern day instrument for about $200-$300 per pickup set. The best deal in Modern day Gibson's are the 2014 SG J14's that guitar center sells for $544 brand new. Slap a couple hundred bucks more in custom 57' style pickups, better sound/tone pots, and vintage style tuners and you will have a guitar that will outplay, sound better, and outlast a 56 Les Goldtop. The souped up SG.....around $1100 customized......the 56 Goldtop.......about $30k. Even a overpriced modern Les Paul Standard with a little pickup and pot customization will outperform a vintage 58-59 Les Paul Standard.

You cannot replicate a car like you can with a guitar because a car is a lot more complex, much more parts. Also the market for guitar parts is bigger than parts for old cars.

Joao - great guitar pic.
Thanks. Picture is not great, doesn't show some details.

Last edited:

job

One Too Many
I would not pay that kind of money for one but the rarity of the nice vintage guitars is why the price is up not the cost and quality of parts.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

ManofKent

Warm and sunny today. Another Christys linen 8-piece, although I did war a fedora this evening for a brief while, trying on my first custom from Mike at NorthWest Hats - hat is beyond my expectations and I'll post photos soon...

David, nice black VS.
Purty Black Sheep John.
Great hat and gi-tar combo Joao. I'm loving those guitar pics.
The Mallory OR is tops, Rick
I agree, that's not a bad pic, nice pic John and son.
Richard, your sense of style from casual to formal is fantastic.

JAVIER

Practically Family
Lefty congrats! Yesterday my Lady and I had or milestone 10th too. We spent it at an indoor water park with our two girls. I'm still trying to take the chlorine smell off :) but we had a blast.
Been wearing my Adam the last few days do to the trip.

Again congrats, like tin, take a few dents but still survive.

casechopper

Congratulations on the 10th Anniversary Lefty, Javier and Miamibruno! My wife and I will be celebrating our 10th this year as well. Here's hoping for an awesome next 10! :cheers1:

Nice Cap Richard!

Looking Cool DJH.

Jao, I know nothing about guitars but I like the way your Les Paul looks.

Neophyte: Congrats on graduation. Hope you enjoy your time up here in the armpit of America. Maybe we'll bump into each-other some day.

Happy Birthday Garret!

Thanks HatsrMe. That's actually my youngest son Rex. He's one of the happiest kids we've had so far. Nice whiskey. It was a whiskey day for me today too.

Carmack Whiskey
IMG_2832.JPG

Last edited:
Congrats to ALL of you happy couples! You all know it by now, but marriage is work! One big compromise, right down the middle, 70/30! Sometimes you get the 30, sometimes the 70, but the pendulum MUST go back and forth. BEST WISHES to ALL of you lovebirds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner