Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metropd

One Too Many
Yes, FEPSA has lots and lots of wonderful colors, ready to choose from, as long as you just buy 25 bodies :)

Actually FEPSA did not have that colour nor anything remotely close to it. Because of this, they needed me to send them a swatch. I went to half a dozen fabric stores in San Diego and L.A. None of the fabric swatches I purchased where what I really wanted. I took an old vintage beaver hat in a very small size and dyed it the colour I wanted. I cut the hat up in different swatches so I would have reserves. I then sent the dyed swatch to FEPSA and they spent around three months replicating the colour I always wanted in the beaver fur I desired.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
From the view here and on the Englel FB page, it looks pretty nice. Who's doing the blocking and trimming?

metropd

One Too Many
Worth & Worth in New York does the blocking, trimming, and extra finnishing. Orlando who is the owner, spent many years making blocks. He has a custom block that is fuller and straighter than the #52 block. The #52 Block is very Elegant, but Orlando's Custom Block is more formal, which in my personal opinion, is even more elegant than the #52 block. Orlando's custom block is identical to the most iconicly formal fedora styles of the 1920's and 30's. Also, Worth & Worth is the only hatter I know in America other than Optimo who is fimilair with Fepsa Felts, and understands how to work with a Fepsa Felt.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
A beautiful color and hat, Sir! What weight are the bodies?

As far as I know, several (most?) American custom hatters are familiar with FEPSA felt and use it in their production, though :)

metropd

One Too Many
A beautiful color and hat, Sir! What weight are the bodies?
As far as I know, several (most?) American custom hatters are familiar with FEPSA felt and use it in their production, though /QUOTE]

Thank you. Quite possibly, I am not certain, but I think Gary White also does (or did). I think he mentioned it to me years before I entered this process with Fepsa. I am not absolutely sure. However Gary White truly is a Master Hatter, and I am sure he could master any felt from any felter. When it comes to this era of Hattery Gary White is one of a kind. There could possibly be more as I don't know all the hatters in the United States. I am out of this world impressed by Orlando's (Worth & Worth) finished product. I definitely feel Orlando has the skill & technique to be considered a Master Hatter.

I ordered a 110 Grams weight in 100% Beaver from Fepsa.

Last edited:
Stetson Stratoliner straw. Crappy quality, but a good summer weekend beater for not much cash.

e3aru7yq.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao--it's still a nice hat no matter where you wear it. I have not been there, but the coastline in Algarve, at least in your photo, looks like the coastline here in Northern California.
Thank you but I wanted to take another one down with me but forgot to change it.
This coastline is a little bit south of Sines in the "Costa Alentejana". It's not Algarve yet.

Joao....I really like the blue!
Thank you. You can see the difference from black :)

I am wearing my new bespoke fedora from Engel & Co. Hatters.
Nice outfit.

Actually FEPSA did not have that colour nor anything remotely close to it. Because of this, they needed me to send them a swatch. I went to half a dozen fabric stores in San Diego and L.A. None of the fabric swatches I purchased where what I really wanted. I took an old vintage beaver hat in a very small size and dyed it the colour I wanted. I cut the hat up in different swatches so I would have reserves. I then sent the dyed swatch to FEPSA and they spent around three months replicating the colour I always wanted in the beaver fur I desired.
They seem not wanting to tell me the composition of their different felt qualities... and now they are closed on vacation. Can only start chatting with them in September :(

metropd

One Too Many
Very cool. What's your pricing?

The price for 100% Beaver in a lightweight felt in 110 Grams is $750. I chose that price because it costs me $375 to produce the hat. I want to be fair to the customer and offer competitive pricing for what I am offering in a luxury niche market.

metropd

One Too Many
Thank you but I wanted to take another one down with me but forgot to change it.

They seem not wanting to tell me the composition of their different felt qualities... and now they are closed on vacation. Can only start chatting with them in September :(

Who did you speak to? I speak with Manuela. She is incredibly helpful and easy to work with. In my experience, I am completely convinced the FEPSA quality is drastically better than Winchester, or any other felter when it comes to Mens Dress Hats (Fedora, Homburg, Bowler) market. FEPSA is the only Felter I have personally seen that can produce felts in a higher quality than many beautiful vintage fedoras. I do find Winchester can make very fine western bodies, but they have a lot less options, and the quality control is not always on point like the very high standards Fepsa upholds.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Who did you speak to? I speak with Manuela. She is incredibly helpful and easy to work with. In my experience, I am completely convinced the FEPSA quality is drastically better than Winchester, or any other felter when it comes to Mens Dress Hats (Fedora, Homburg, Bowler) market. FEPSA is the only Felter I have personally seen that can produce felts in a higher quality than many beautiful vintage fedoras. I do find Winchester can make very fine western bodies, but they have a lot less options, and the quality control is not always on point like the very high standards Fepsa upholds.
My contact is Ema Correia. I sent an email to FEPSA general mailbox and she was the one who replied.
I'm after a 100% beaver western body that can hold a big crown and big brim!

metropd

One Too Many
My contact is Ema Correia. I sent an email to FEPSA general mailbox and she was the one who replied.
I'm after a 100% beaver western body that can hold a big crown and big brim!

Ema replied because she is the Client Manager for your region (Portugal.) You can see here on the map
http://www.fepsa.pt/en/contactos

I suggest calling Ema in September. I am sure all the details will be worked out over the phone. For Western Bodies Winchester is capable of making some really nice felts too. I would also give Winchester a call. They were bought out by a major uniform hat company that has major contracts for many Law Enforcement agencies. In my experience, when dealing with Winchester, have all the information you need at hand, and "make it worth their time."

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I suggest calling Ema in September. I am sure all the details will be worked out over the phone. For Western Bodies Winchester is capable of making some really nice felts too. I would also give Winchester a call. They were bought out by a major uniform hat company that has major contracts for many Law Enforcement agencies. In my experience, when dealing with Winchester, have all the information you need at hand, and "make it worth their time."
I'm more inclined to FEPSA since they are in my Country, shipping cost would be much more cheap and I will not have to pay import taxes!!
And since you are so pleased with their work, I think I'll bet my money on them.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
This post is more what I wore yesterday...
This George Strait Resistol straw in the morning...
20140803a.jpg

20140803.jpg

And in the afternoon returning to Lisbon the navy blue Billy Kidd by Stetson.
20140803b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner