Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
7bb39deef8631f96fe8d4c25df3ebef6.jpg

Woof.

Love the colours of this one... If possible I'd like to replicate these colours when I order one from D'aquino... How would you describe them Frunobulax?

Sol, I'm not certain. When I purchased it a few months ago, TommyK described it as Bismuto, a color in the Borsalino palette. There are some photos of a Borso Bismuto here.

However, to me, this Stetson is grey-ish with some green-ish tones to it. The ribbon and binding are a light, olive-y color. It seems to play better with earth tones than greys or blues. I'm sure my iPhone isn't the best thing to capture it perfectly, but at least today's pic is in natural light.

I've discovered that my favourite hat is a Stetson Whippet. Cheers all. I must get one!

Good luck, they go for premium prices on eBay. We've seen them go for as high as $500 recently. I got lucky with a BIN on an early weekend morning and jumped on it. There are also plenty of Whippet clones out there in other brands, such as Adam or Knox. Those can give you the look and maybe leave you with enough to still get 6" at Subway.

Or you can get a new open crown Whippet, but those are also north of $200.

Good luck!

Sol James

New in Town
Might go down the copy route... That Daquino place has a nice looking hat that I could change up a bit..choose colours and request a straighter crown. Might get me in the ballpark for a while..

tommyK

One Too Many
Moe, love the "Dingo". What a perfect name for an Akubra Whippet clone
Loving all the Whippets today!
Moon, I am in awe of and jealous of Your marvelous Vita-Felt.
G, spectacular color on Your pristine Whippet

Whippet's are great hats as are all of the Stetson's of the period these were made. A clone from this period would be a great hat, just won't fetch that $500+ price tag. I've got two of them and am not hot to get another (I know, famous last words)

I agree but I'm still learning what suits me really. I like the 2.5 brim on the hat I have and would like to try a less tapered crown.. Like I said, I'm still learning!

As a satisfied D'Aquino customer, this may be a good route. Especially if you haven't the patience to troll the Bay or a wife that scours estate sales for you.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, tommyk!
Javadave, i did do the brim myself, following the brim binding primer started by tonyb and embellished by Art Fawcett. I did a decent job of it, but the ribbon wanders a bit, especially around the turns. I'm gonna redo it soon with tighter basting stitches in the prep, maybe a beige or bone ribbon rather than dyeing another brown shade.
Bama, so sorry for the deception, especially since your dog will soon be wagging it's little grosgrain tail for someone else...:(

Thanks, tommyk!
Javadave, i did do the brim myself, following the brim binding primer started by tonyb and embellished by Art Fawcett. I did a decent job of it, but the ribbon wanders a bit, especially around the turns. I'm gonna redo it soon with tighter basting stitches in the prep, maybe a beige or bone ribbon rather than dyeing another brown shade.
Bama, so sorry for the deception, especially since your dog will soon be wagging it's little grosgrain tail for someone else...:(

So cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic