Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
breaking in 2 today

I'm off on Mondays and my Fed IV D arrived today & I just converted an Akubra Overlander .. so it's training day!
IMG_0775.jpg

Fed IV D in moonstone
IMG_0741-1.jpg

Overlander Heritage in black

----------------
Now playing: Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Tom The Model
via FoxyTunes

kiltie

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
I have one of those Banana Republic safaris. It's a really decent fur felt. I don't know what they sold for new, but I'm impressed with it! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Yeah, it's a really great hat; well made. I have a catalog that shows it going for fifty-eight dollars in about 1985. I've often wondered who made these, and I recently saw an Australian Stetson that looked really, really similar, leading me to believe that the BR hat is a Stetson. It's more like a western weight; very chunky. The liner is awfully nice, too. I was lucky to score this one for about twenty-five bones about a year ago.
One of my first two fedoras was a later generation BR - not nearly as good as this one. A buddy of mine had one of these in highschool, and I did covet it so. I was quite pleased to land this one, and have seen them on ebay going in the $60-$70 range. If the opportunity ever arises, I'd like to get another to put through the paces. I don't baby this one, but at the same time, I do think of it as a bit of a collectible.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
not all wives... GREAT HAT!

Oooh, I think this is a terrific hat, and wonderful on you! Go for it, the world needs to see YOU enjoying this fab art deco era hat , and you are thereby sharing it with others.

I'm working on encouraging my DH to wear his fedora (he just got his second one Saturday), to places other than vintage events... :)
J.T.Marcus said:
Don't wives say the cutest things? :D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
lovely...

Love the entire look you've got going here, GREAT tie. That grin in your pic shows how confident and content you are with how you look in this- good job!

BTW, I must say I appreciate your avatar pic you chose.;) I really enjoy J. Bridges especially in "Seabiscuit" and "Tucker". The man looks like he was born to wear this stuff, doesn't he? Love the mens' clothes, their hats, the cars and oh yeah, the ladies' gear too in those two films. One of my favorite shots is J.Bridges striding in wearing his double breasted tux into the lobby of the Paramount Theater in Oakland in "Tucker".

Hey, I'm just here to give y'all a women's perspective on all this stuff.

Torpedo said:
Today's pick was Resistol 15 Kitten Finish...

DSC_0333.jpg

I believe the red-brown houndstooth bowtie compliments the felt's colour nicely.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:
I'm working on encouraging my DH to wear his fedora (he just got his second one Saturday), to places other than vintage events... :)

You're a nice lady. And enthusiastic.

I find it best to do my own thing and be encouraging of others, without too much encouraging of others. Know what I mean?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
noted.Thanks HPGene

Sometimes others can choose to catch others' enthusiasm, and discover the water is fine for them to play in too. They just want to step in on their own timetable and in their own way.

I'm very fortunate that our entire family is getting into the vintage thing- though our daughter is moving into it all a little slower and more cautiously than the rest of us. Our children have both been ballroom dancing along with us for some years now, the Art Deco Society events are a good avenue to enjoy the dancing further, and the vintage clothing ties it all together.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Thank you gentlemen... and lady! Ladies are so scarce in this forum that I specially appreciate chanteuseCarey's comments... ;)

This one I do not think I had shown before: a Doeskin Felt from Kaufman's Men Shop, Trenton, NJ. Probably 30's.

DSC_0337-3.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Whoa! Another moustache gone. Hawaiian shirts, hoodies, and now, hairless upper lips. This isn't the Lounge I used to know.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
yeah really...

My DH looks better with a moustache! After starting to get into vintage gear, along with many years of old movie watching he finally decided to try his own version of the "William Powell" style as he's seen many of the gents in our local Art Deco Society sporting. It looks GREAT on him, much better than how he's otherwise had it in all these years. He says it takes twice as long to maintain this style, but I reassure him its worth the extra effort!

He's got only one Hawaiian shirt, inexpensive tourist trade quality bought tooo many years ago when we went there. Its looking a bit sad- so he never wears it. Being hung onto for sentimental value only.

He has NO hoodies thankfully, I don't even buy those for our son- heck, he wouldn't want one anyway. A vintage tuxedo on the other hand...

Lefty said:
Whoa! Another moustache gone. Hawaiian shirts, hoodies, and now, hairless upper lips. This isn't the Lounge I used to know.

Goodness gracious, bart, if I saw you coming down the street I doubt I'd recognize you. Are we dropping that "handlebar" part of your online persona? Or is this just a temporary thing?

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
Goodness gracious, bart, if I saw you coming down the street I doubt I'd recognize you. Are we dropping that "handlebar" part of your online persona? Or is this just a temporary thing?

lol lol I finally caved in to the wife Tony.:( I wonder if I can alter the name a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart