Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An old narrow brimmed thin ribbon Barbisio made for the American market - marked Lago di Como for the beautiful alpine lake in northern Italy which I had the pleasure to visit when I was a young man. The hat is a loden gray, darker than it looks here... from Illinois and the memorable collection of RLK.

102816_1.JPG

102816_2.JPG

102816_3.JPG
Wow. That is a fine looking Borsalino.

40Cal

One Too Many
Some wonderful hats on display today!
Esther, That color and ribbon thickness ( or thinness) is perfect in my book. Looks great on you!
Harv, fantastic Mallory!
Daniele, I like that brim width on you. Always enjoy seeing your pictures .
Alan, I love the tall crown on that one!

Wearing a Knox today. Waiting for the rain . Supposed to be a rainy day today....... I'm not holding my breath.
knox1.jpg

RJR

Some wonderful hats on display today!
Esther, That color and ribbon thickness ( or thinness) is perfect in my book. Looks great on you!
Harv, fantastic Mallory!
Daniele, I like that brim width on you. Always enjoy seeing your pictures .
Alan, I love the tall crown on that one!

Wearing a Knox today. Waiting for the rain . Supposed to be a rainy day today....... I'm not holding my breath.
View attachment 59009
Nice,the stitched brim is unusual.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
It was already shrunk when I got it from the Etsy seller. I figured it would be, looking at the pictures of the ribbon-crown gap. OTOH, I can't find much in my size (7 5/8) and thought that at the price I could try some of the things I had read about on this forum and elsewhere.

Once I got it I noticed there were also gaps between the sweatband and inside of the crown. The band was in good shape. That seemed to indicate it was the felt that had shrunk, pulling the stitches closer together. (Hey, I'm not expert. It's just what I figgered.)

I like what's happened with it. However, it's a 2" brim, a little small for me to wear as a fedora. I'm thinking about curling the brim all around, telescoping the crown, add some stiffener and make it into a pork pie. I know how good they look on you, but here is my first inspiration for a pork pie.

View attachment 58982
Clark Johnson as Det Meldrick Taylor in Homicide: Life on the Streets.

Yeah, from your description it sounds like the felt is what shrunk. I mean -- unless the hat was put together really poorly in the first place, but I seem to recall you mentioning earlier that it is a Christy's, and they aren't exactly known for poor quality. Maybe it was stored in a particularly hot environment -- or left in the backseat of the car on a humid summer day too many times. Thirty years isn't that old, so it probably found its way into the hands of an uniformed owner.

And thanks for the compliment on my porkies -- I LOVE pork pies. They're pretty easy to hand block and they work well with a shaved head =) I personally like all of my hats (including my porkies) to have only a very slight curl in the back that straightens to almost no curl in the front. Also -- I avoid stiffener... I guess it depends on how dense your felt is, but if it's a decent density, I would just let it stay malleable so you can have fun mashing it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred