Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wearing my new custom Penman into the office this morning. Pic is from last Saturday before checking out the local Goodwill store for orphan hats needing a good home. :)

My office is big, very spacious inside, which means while the heating system is blowing I get too hot, but in between times my corner of the office gets chilly. Being too lazy to stand up and grab my jacket, I just put my hat on to keep away the chill. :cool:

i-sWkLKKw-XL.jpg
Of course you do!

Hey everyone!
Thanks to all for the likes and nice words on my recent posts.
Glad to read that your surgery went well, hatsR! Careful now, we don't want any injuries from trying around-the-back hat selfies too soon!:D
Today, this Disney "Handover".

be8990501c5ab3d640c755156f01f753.jpg
85eaf1efba51cee17b777bd812ae072e.jpg

Dunno why, but I always forget to post a pic of one of the cooler things about it.

9b592c70eba87c166d0be5a9a0f7c687.jpg

Have a great day!

Sent from thin air using electricity and other wizardry.
Luv a back bow. That hat has a lot going for it. Love the overall look of it.

One of the great things about Northern California (besides Dungeness crab, sourdough bread, awesome tie-dye and high-test doobage of course) is that you can have a straw day in December. Gotta take advantage of whatever sun there is this tine of the year!
An early tryout of this Borsalino Panama I found Saturday for $5. After a bit of TLC, of course.

a9fa3e3d61c898702a3053c75cc9c3f3.jpg
5874808ac81010c59ec20850d04c7b7b.jpg

I like how the crown turned out, even after working around a weak spot in the straw. The fit is nice and the dimensions are just about what I like in a sunny day hat. Not the finest or best Panama ever made, but still nice to have a Borso beater! :D

Sent from thin air using electricity and other wizardry.
Best sawbuck ever spent!

Dlaniger

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Daniele. And I agree about Mallory, though no amount of work I do will rescue if from the moth holes. It's my test bed for hat torturing.

I think it was that picture from a couple of weeks ago that made me ask today.

I've moved on to my second hat of the day. Cap actually,
P1220134 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
An old newsboy of unknown parentage, but it was at least conceived in a union shop. It has a bit of insulation in it and most importantly today,
P1220138 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
earflaps.
You may notice that I added another layer to my top half as well as a scarf and gloves. Now I think I'm ready to face the bitter wind.
12-6-2016 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Michael
Great Jacket!

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Mossant hat from the late sixties made in France
f2jacm.jpg

Color is "chinè orage" (storm heather)
33lcazc.jpg

Lievre (hare) in medium heather grey felt very soft
k3688h.jpg

We often talk of felt and its colors
ouxqax.jpg

These are the shades that a magnificent felt, finished in a medium-haired, produces in the shade or in the sun
n5mwz8.jpg

Thanks for the likes on the "modern" Tirard of yesterday
Breath taking! Like Wow!!!

Kuki

One of the Regulars
Love the thin ribbon bow, I've learnt a lot and gotten inspired by looking at the hats you guys post!

Nice. Really like that ribbon work. Glad you're here.
Thank you Bamaboots, I'm in great company!

Great post!! Looks good Kuki!
Appreciate the kind comment 1mach1, it's a bit silly to be so proud, but this I've made form scratch and I AM proud as hell.

Thanks Blue!

Are thoes dents or is the hat that shape? Looks like an interesting variation of the green alpine hat. Very cool.
Johnny
They're not dents (black hats, we all know those do not photograph well), they're flat planes, sort of a cubist hat.

I like that neat bow treatment!
The bow treatment is inspired by some of the bows posted in this forum!

I need more coffee.
221266cdbfb6631dec03a7ed18df447d.jpg
I just realized Esther that you are in Belgium, I hope you come to Barcelona's 13th Stroll with a Hat on Sunday April 30th 2017... more than 2000 people wearing a hat is quite a sight to see :)

Very cool looking hat. What shape is the block you made? What is it made out of?

The hat party you linked earlier looked like it was a lot of fun.

Michael
Hi Michael, Here are some pics of the block, as you can see I first wonkily rough shaped it with a hot wire, it's made of layers some sort of high density isolation foam. I would normally make my blocks out of layers of compressed cork, but it's expensive stuff and requires a lot of elbow grease (although obviously it's more durable), but I had a sheet of this stuff and gave it a go (it's on a layer of cork, but I did not block it so high). The shape of the block is precisely the shape of the resulting block, no bashing required.
The hard work was replicating the shape in a larger size (see last pic), that takes so much more work and time than doing a new shape.
The party was more of a come and try on a hat shindig, directed both at first time hat wearers and also at hat lovers that want to try new styles. It was actually fun for me to see my hats on different kinds of people/heads... I had made some high crown homburgs that I though were a failure but lo and behold they looked awesome on some of the guys who tried them on (and dreadful on others).
cubist_hat.jpg

Now that is a stunner! Interesting lines of the crown and brim curl. Very Nice!
Appreciate the kind words Red!! :)

EstherWeis

Vendor
Love the thin ribbon bow, I've learnt a lot and gotten inspired by looking at the hats you guys post!

Thank you Bamaboots, I'm in great company!

Appreciate the kind comment 1mach1, it's a bit silly to be so proud, but this I've made form scratch and I AM proud as hell.

Thanks Blue!

They're not dents (black hats, we all know those do not photograph well), they're flat planes, sort of a cubist hat.

The bow treatment is inspired by some of the bows posted in this forum!

I just realized Esther that you are in Belgium, I hope you come to Barcelona's 13th Stroll with a Hat on Sunday April 30th 2017... more than 2000 people wearing a hat is quite a sight to see :)

Hi Michael, Here are some pics of the block, as you can see I first wonkily rough shaped it with a hot wire, it's made of layers some sort of high density isolation foam. I would normally make my blocks out of layers of compressed cork, but it's expensive stuff and requires a lot of elbow grease (although obviously it's more durable), but I had a sheet of this stuff and gave it a go (it's on a layer of cork, but I did not block it so high). The shape of the block is precisely the shape of the resulting block, no bashing required.
The hard work was replicating the shape in a larger size (see last pic), that takes so much more work and time than doing a new shape.
The party was more of a come and try on a hat shindig, directed both at first time hat wearers and also at hat lovers that want to try new styles. It was actually fun for me to see my hats on different kinds of people/heads... I had made some high crown homburgs that I though were a failure but lo and behold they looked awesome on some of the guys who tried them on (and dreadful on others).
View attachment 61967

Appreciate the kind words Red!! :)

Hi,
We are indeed not that far away. Good plan, an idea for a birthday trip. :)

Uh, rather you than me, I made them in foam before a few times, and I have no patience for it it seems.
But impressive you can!

Kuki

One of the Regulars
Hi,
We are indeed not that far away. Good plan, an idea for a birthday trip. :)

Uh, rather you than me, I made them in foam before a few times, and I have no patience for it it seems.
But impressive you can!
Save the date then, it will be a birthday to remember :)
I seem to have a good hand for making blocks, but indeed a lot of patience is required so I rarely make them. I do love using new ones or bringing vintage ones to life... and I have great admiration for proper hat block makers! What I dread the most is cutting brims, you seem to have a steady hand from the pictures I've seen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL