Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Thanks again! For those that might like another look, here is the hat resting open crown. The crown height is 5 3/4". The brim width without unfurling the curl is a little over 2 1/2"

bossrawedge.jpg

I'm surprised that it's 5 3/4" open! Somehow it looks much taller the way you wear it. Again -- beautiful hat.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
So I'm away for a day and need to catch up on 10 pages of hats again. If only I'd seen that many hats in the real world in that time...

Thank you Fed, that's really nice of you. It's great to be amongst people who love hats as much as I do, and always a pleasure to see your hats too. Today's hat will follow later, when I've actually left the house. Hope you have a good day today!

Don't have the time to comment on everyone's amazing hats from the past couple of days, but I wanted to congratulate you on your first home made hat. It looks great, even without the binding. Love the two tone bow, and I actually really like the hat's proportions with the trimmed brim. Even so, I hope the brim binding on your next hat will be a success and I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

Yes, I've noticed you've found some great overcoats this winter, the herringbone one you wore yesterday is a real beauty. Reminds me I bought a nice brown herringbone fabric last year with the intention of making a new coat, but it's still in one of the boxes full of unused fabrics.. Should really dig that out.

Sounds like a great night!

Welcome back! You see how worried you got everybody here by disappearing like that

You probably won't read this anymore, but I hope you're back in perfect health again soon. You, your hats (and their photoshopped alter egos) and your sense of humour will be sorely missed in the next 40 days

Lovely cloche Cristina, even though you didn't make it yourself. I have the same problem with one of my cloches as well, really should fix that. One of those little jobs that'll only take a few minutes, which is probably why I've kept putting it off...

Can I ask which model your machine is? I swear by old Pfaff sewing machines, they really are the best in my opinion. I learnt to sew on my nan's Pfaff 360, worth its weight in gold (and it's one heavy sewing machine!). I hope you manage to get yours fixed, a good clean and oiling might just do the job. Also make sure the tension's just right, these old machines are pretty particular on that, even more so than the modern ones in my experience. Oiling the pre-1970s machines is a bit of a mission, but absolutely necessary to keep them running smoothly.
It's a model 332. Once I figured out the tensioning and a few other things with help from a link to an online manual, it runs well and sews a nice tight stitch, just a little pigeon-toed. But just enough that it stands out on a brim binding.

6c7308633ea8cd5ff9e56419478a603e.jpg

Hopefully I'll find a service person to fix the problem.

Sent from thin air using electricity and other wizardry.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Can't compete with all your fancy hats here today. It's been dark an rainy and miserable all day, and it'll probably stay like that till may. I can't seem to recover from the flu, I'm no longer in bed with a fever, but still constantly exhausted and achey. I think I just need to take a holiday somewhere where there's actual sunlight. Or go into hibernation. I'll stop complaining now and get to the hat :)

image_zpspi273nik.jpeg

Just my old Hobson, because it's already been rained on so often it doesn't really matter anymore. Looking at it now, I think it does need some tlc and a new ribbon though...
Sounds like you could use an extended visit to San Diego! Hope you feel better soon. Nice lid =)

Celia

A-List Customer
The long return to feeling like yourself again can be a hard road. I hope the flu becomes a memory soon. Thanks for sharing your old Hobson!
Thank you for the kind words, I hope so too. That hat has been with me all of my adult life, it was a present from my father for my 18th birthday. I knew kids who got cars from their parents when they turned 18, but I couldn't have been happier than with this hat. And I bet none of them still drive their first car, while I still wear my fedora.

Thank you for the kind words, I hope so too. That hat has been with me all of my adult life, it was a present from my father for my 18th birthday. I knew kids who got cars from their parents when they turned 18, but I couldn't have been happier than with this hat. And I bet none of them still drive their first car, while I still wear my fedora.
This being the case, I wouldn't change the ribbon unless/until it becomes absolutely necessary to do so. That hat is a survivor, and if it were mine I'd preserve it for as long as possible (especially considering it's history with you and the emotional/sentimental connection).

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Thanks bAm!
I found a nice old Pfaff with about 1 inch or less of overhang on the case, but I have yet to get off my lazy butt and find someone to service it and fix one small issue...it won't sew a straight stitch. Even with the selector knob in the straight stitch position it sews just enough of a zigzag to be noticable. Hoping a cleaning and general servicing will take care of that.
The dog unfortunately develped the chewing problem in the rescue shelter before Mom found her. They've tried a bunch of stuff, but I think it's a psych issue. We all love her, scabs, chewed spots and all.

Oh I missed this post! Bummer about the zigzagging stitch issue... There's an old sewing machine and vacuum cleaner shop right down the way from me: http://coastsewingandvac.com/sewing/1772999 I've never actually gone inside the store! I should go check it out... Looks like they have lots of old models and offer repairs as well...

Celia

A-List Customer
Sounds like you could use an extended visit to San Diego! Hope you feel better soon. Nice lid =)
Thanks! If only San Diego wasn't so far away!

It's a model 332. Once I figured out the tensioning and a few other things with help from a link to an online manual, it runs well and sews a nice tight stitch, just a little pigeon-toed. But just enough that it stands out on a brim binding.

6c7308633ea8cd5ff9e56419478a603e.jpg

Hopefully I'll find a service person to fix the problem.

Sent from thin air using electricity and other wizardry.
Now that's what I call a sewing machine! It's a very similar model to my nan's old 360 actually, looks almost the same. I hope you can get it serviced and working smoothly again, because these machines really are awesome. They have the weight you need for heavy duty sewing. You could ask at a sewing machine shop if they service old machines or know someone who does.

Last edited:

Celia

A-List Customer
This being the case, I wouldn't change the ribbon unless/until it becomes absolutely necessary to do so. That hat is a survivor, and if it were mine I'd preserve it for as long as possible (especially considering it's history with you and the emotional/sentimental connection).
Thank you, you are right. That's exactly the reason why I haven't changed it so far. And looking at it again now, I think there's still some life left in it...

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Some days are just jammed packed with stuff to do. Sheesh! Home and off doing errands and then a lunch meeting.

i-8vPZzWS-M.jpg

Back to work for the afternoon and evening. Gannon (granite felt and charcoal ribbon) on my head.

i-XGhV4nS-M.jpg

Hats/cap wait for the return trip later tonight.

i-vgrGtSm-M.jpg

(I did make a pile for the pic. Normally I have the hats flat on the backseat. )

Best, Eric -

I knew kids who got cars from their parents when they turned 18, but I couldn't have been happier than with this hat. And I bet none of them still drive their first car, while I still wear my fedora.

That hat is a survivor, and if it were mine I'd preserve it for as long as possible (especially considering it's history with you and the emotional/sentimental connection).
Guess I should have kept that Pontiac GTO I bought myself, but really all the emotional/sentimental connection I had to it was in the backseat.

Early Stetson Boss Raw Edge... a Camelot hat in 6 7/8 that comes out the day after a haircut.

030217_1.jpg

Smashing, Alan. Just fantastic.

Can't compete with all your fancy hats here today. It's been dark an rainy and miserable all day, and it'll probably stay like that till may. I can't seem to recover from the flu, I'm no longer in bed with a fever, but still constantly exhausted and achey. I think I just need to take a holiday somewhere where there's actual sunlight. Or go into hibernation. I'll stop complaining now and get to the hat :)

Just my old Hobson, because it's already been rained on so often it doesn't really matter anymore. Looking at it now, I think it does need some tlc and a new ribbon though...

Super Hobson, Celia. Sending good and healthy thoughts your way.

winter is back on the north east coast... I tip my 1930s Penney's Marathon to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a real looker, Anthony!

Guess I should have kept that Pontiac GTO I bought myself, but really all the emotional/sentimental connection I had to it was in the backseat.

Yeah, and my Mustang just wasn't the same after it had that tussle with the telephone pole...

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Super.

I need one of these but can't seem to locate one. I checked the Resistol and Stetson website. Akubra has a new model that mimics the look but the color offerings are lame.

With this style I'd rather not go custom.

Any ideas ?

The curled brim is what really turns me on.

You can search for something like "boss of the plains, curled brim"

Etsy has some custom options in fur: https://www.etsy.com/listing/479640815/hoghunter-mid-brimmed-shallow-buckaroo?ref=related-3
I'm sure shops like this could customize the height of the crown and ship it open for you to fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana