Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
winter is back on the north east coast... I tip my 1930s Penney's Marathon to it
06d99d0c70cdba740778a21e58a49ac9.jpg

194b66ac43c1a9fff73a5334f2377792.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice Anthony. What's the brim width on that?

Kuki

One of the Regulars

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Great machine Moe. I have a 230/260 that is basically the same thing in a flat bed machine. There is a group on Yahoo called the oldpfaffpforum. If you join the group you can ask questions and also access service manuals and the like. I also have a 130, which is the grandfather of the one you have and I had to do the adjustment to get a straight stitch without wobble. It's pretty straightforward to do. These machines like oil in all the places that are supposed to have oil, but make sure you don't get any oil onto the fabric cogged belts that run the timing and I believe in your machine also one goes from the motor to the pulley. They are very cool machines.

Michael
Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out that forum.

Kuki

One of the Regulars
Can't compete with all your fancy hats here today. It's been dark an rainy and miserable all day, and it'll probably stay like that till may. I can't seem to recover from the flu, I'm no longer in bed with a fever, but still constantly exhausted and achey. I think I just need to take a holiday somewhere where there's actual sunlight. Or go into hibernation. I'll stop complaining now and get to the hat :)

image_zpspi273nik.jpeg

Just my old Hobson, because it's already been rained on so often it doesn't really matter anymore. Looking at it now, I think it does need some tlc and a new ribbon though...

You look great and how wonderful that it has been used and loved and it has been with you for a while :)

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
You know after you travel the world and come back to America you learn a lot. One of the things I have learned is Americans are fools when it comes to spending money. If I told someone in Peru that I spent $999 on a hat they would laugh and lose total respect for me. The same is true with many other costs that we so gullibly swallow.

Last week I went down to Tijuana for some medical tests. Stool sample and blood work for 160 pesos which is just over $10. Try getting that in America.

My custom made Peruvian fedoras are of higher quality than what I purchased from two well known indie hat makers on this site for $14....just saying.

I don't support those types of business.

Nice hats though and sorry for the political rant.
I just had an MRI for $15, my ears are fine but the Dr found a pituitary tumor. I don't think I'd trust a Dr in Mexico, or Ecuador (where my wife is from) to do my tests and not overlook something incidental to the original test that is ultimately more dangerous than hearing loss.

Quality is in the eye of the beholder and cost is relative. I'm not going to fork out $3500 for a Limited Release Master Hatter fedora at Watsons, but I will spend $250 - $500 on a great custom fur felt 100X, pure beaver, that fits perfectly (on my between-sizes head) and is made exactly how I want it over a $20 wool hat from the indigenous people in Cuenca, Ecuador.

I have a $20 Panama hat made where authentic paja toquilla (straw) hats are made: Ecuador. A simple Cuenca weave, it gets the job done when the sun is high in the sky. I won't spend $2,000 - $10,000 on a Montecristi that took a woman over a year to weave by hand, but I don't belittle Gloria Estefan or anyone else for doing so. I will spend $200 on a nice Montecristi or Cuenca straw if the quality is there. Of course, according to some, flying to Ecuador to get that price is is a foolish waste, too.... just sayin'.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
I have a $20 Panama hat made where authentic paja toquilla (straw) hats are made: Ecuador. A simple Cuenca weave, it gets the job done when the sun is high in the sky. I won't spend $2,000 - $10,000 on a Montecristi that took a woman over a year to weave by hand, but I don't belittle Gloria Estefan or anyone else for doing so. I will spend $200 on a nice Montecristi or Cuenca straw if the quality is there. Of course, according to some, flying to Ecuador to get that price is is a foolish waste, too.... just sayin'.

I definitely want to hold a $10,000 Montecristi in my mitts so I can (hopefully) see why they cost that much. I've held the 200-400$ range and they are exquisite, I just don't know how they can be improved to match the five-digit increase!

Sonero

Practically Family
I just had an MRI for $15, my ears are fine but the Dr found a pituitary tumor. I don't think I'd trust a Dr in Mexico, or Ecuador (where my wife is from) to do my tests and not overlook something incidental to the original test that is ultimately more dangerous than hearing loss.

Quality is in the eye of the beholder and cost is relative. I'm not going to fork out $3500 for a Limited Release Master Hatter fedora at Watsons, but I will spend $250 - $500 on a great custom fur felt 100X, pure beaver, that fits perfectly (on my between-sizes head) and is made exactly how I want it over a $20 wool hat from the indigenous people in Cuenca, Ecuador.

You guys must have the Obama Care Deluxe Package because I sure as heck am not getting those prices and I pay roughly $600 a month for my insurance.

Have you been to Otovalo Ecuador ? About 30 minutes away is a town where they manufacture hats for exportation. You should see what they make. Unfortunately at the time I wasn't really into hats so much. I purchased one just because it was so beautiful but it was too small for me so I gave it to someone else.

Funny thing is some of those indians wear really expensive hats from Europe. It is a status symbol in the andes to wear such a hat.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
You guys must have the Obama Care Deluxe Package because I sure as heck am not getting those prices and I pay roughly $600 a month for my insurance.

Have you been to Otovalo Ecuador ? About 30 minutes away is a town where they manufacture hats for exportation. You should see what they make. Unfortunately at the time I wasn't really into hats so much. I purchased one just because it was so beautiful but it was too small for me so I gave it to someone else.

Funny thing is some of those indians wear really expensive hats from Europe. It is a status symbol in the andes to wear such a hat.

Very interesting about the Euro-hat being a status indicator! Also, no govie insurance on my end -- my company has great health benefits. They charge me only 80.00/mo for medical, vision, and dental and I have an HSA that offsets many costs.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up

My wife has relatives in Manabi, which is just south of Montecristi. Her cousin said I should wait until next year to travel into the area as it continues to be fairly lawless since the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that struck there in April 2016. Who knows, she may bring some hats down to Guayaquil for us on our trip this year.

We do have a trip planned to Cuenca this year with my wife's sister and brother-in-law. We'll check out the local weavers and also visit the Homero Ortega factory again. The picture in my avatar of the straw hat bodies was taken at the Ortega hat factory on my first trip to Ecuador in 2012. If I see a sweet hat for myself I'm sure to buy it. How can I resist?

There's a lot of high reputation and "brand recognition" when it comes to hats from Montecristi... and it's well earned. But I've also seen some phenomenal hats from Cuenca... the ones that take 6 months to a year or more to finish.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Looking great Michael, not many people could pull that off, but you do and very elegantly!

Thanks Cristina. I thought I was just dressing for the weather? The recent heatwave ruined my cold tolerance.

Anybody home?
a7d5027be0724aca02da88fee1216d47.jpg

My "power hat", easy to wear but still makes a statement, that's why I wear it so often.

The Power Hat is always cool. And so is that phone handset. Looking good.

Michael

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I must have missed something?

He gave the Lounge up for Lent.

Oh , yep , but Sundays don't count , so will Counselor @mmbarnes Matt make appearances ? actually 46 days to Easter -Sundays = 40 days of Lent . Besides the Hats , I like the wordsmithing . It blows my mind . Then others join in , and I laugh , and laugh , its so funny .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24