Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
tracyam said:
This is an excellent looking hat.
Thanks fellas!
It is going to take a trip to Mike soon. Since he used that conformer his hats fit perfectly so I want to get this one shaped too. I have been thinking of maybe having him trim the brim to 2 5/8 raw edge and put a fatter ribbon on in the same color. I have quite a few thin ribbons and this color seems more dressy than the casual style of a thin ribbon. What do ya think?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Thanks fellas!
It is going to take a trip to Mike soon. Since he used that conformer his hats fit perfectly so I want to get this one shaped too. I have been thinking of maybe having him trim the brim to 2 5/8 raw edge and put a fatter ribbon on in the same color. I have quite a few thin ribbons and this color seems more dressy than the casual style of a thin ribbon. What do ya think?

It would lose that Buckaroo look and get a bit more "Fedora"...depends what you want to wear it with...casual as it is, smarter would look good as a little more Fedora style. Smaller brim might be more flexible outside of mid summer as well.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Michaelshane said:
On the grandchildren and hat theme......

P1040988_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Great shot with the granddaughter! Super nice hat too!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
Thanks fellas!

I'm just a piker IC, but I love the proportions on it brim-vis-crown. Maybe keep the brim and binding and go for the wider ribbon????? Its a beaut and you look good in the wide brims.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin said:
I'm just a piker IC, but I love the proportions on it brim-vis-crown. Maybe keep the brim and binding and go for the wider ribbon????? Its a beaut and you look good in the wide brims.

Mr. P, you took the words right out of my mouth. That's a pretty substantial crown on that hat, IC, so the wider brim balances things out. No reason you couldn't go with a wider ribbon, though, to try for a different look. My suspicion is that a wider ribbon would look very sharp on that lid.

Cheers,
JtL

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's Paper! Toyo Braid is Paper!!!

Wood pulp, cellulose, forest by-product, whatever you wanna call it...

$25 Ubi model M3358 (discontinued). Broom-corn yellow toyo porkpie with a more classic profile than your typical budget stingy (probably why it's no longer made). I added a pale grey puggaree ($5).

This is my second Ubi. The toyos are resin treated but eventually discolor when wetted or sweated. It will then join the first one as a beater.

They come with glued-on bands, which limits you to a wide pug, as the glue residue will not come off.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I feel bad, as I haven’t worn a hat in quite some time. I just don’t like my straw hat all that well, nor have I found one I like better, so I’ve been bare headed nearly all summer.

Perhaps next spring I’ll be able to splurge on one of those lightweight, unlined felts. I think they’re a lot more my speed than a straw. I’d really like a boater, but they’re just not go-to-work hats, I’m afraid.

In any case, it’s been kind of a crappy summer, weather wise, so I’m secretly looking forward to September 15 and getting my Fed back out.

-Dave

kaosharper1

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
Wow, kao' - you look spectacular in that suit/hat. Total class without being costume-y. Some can do that and some can't. You can.

Thanks, Gene. Especially since you're someone who always looks good in a hat. I try to tread that line, and I'm glad you think I can do it.

duggap

Banned
David, there is no rule that says you can't wear a fur felt hat all summer long if you choose. If the weatherman says better than a 20% chance of rain, I only wear my felt hats. I have one ultralight from Art, but I don't wear it any more than any of the others. They all are ok.:)

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
duggap said:
David, there is no rule that says you can't wear a fur felt hat all summer long if you choose. If the weatherman says better than a 20% chance of rain, I only wear my felt hats. I have one ultralight from Art, but I don't wear it any more than any of the others. They all are ok.:)

Oh, I know it, but even in early Fall and late Spring I sometimes get too warm in my fully-lined Federation, so until I’ve got a lightweight felt, I’m probably not going to wear a felt much in the summer. One or two of the cooler, wetter days I’ve worn it, though.

-Dave

kaosharper1

One Too Many
There have been a few threads about this. Until last year I lived in Boston which was hot and humid. No felt hats in the summer there at any weight. Now I'm in Pasadena where it's hot and dry. As long as its below 90 I can wear a lightweight felt, like today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy