Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Happy Birthday Alan!
My hats, almost to a one, are older than me. I love that about them. Here is a little look back at May 2 from today (Knox 20) back to 2012. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your thoughts and a bit of your life here. It really is an inspiration, every day.

050216.jpg

Coming to the party late today – great hats all around! I apologize if I have recently posted this one – my late 1950s/early 1960s Byer-Rolnick-era Resistol western in light grey 7X beaver – one of the nicest hats I own and I am trying to give it more head time these days. Crown is about 5-1/2” as creased and bound brim is just under 3”.

That....... Is a good looking hat.

HatAddict94

Familiar Face
It looks great with the brim flattened! How did you do it (curious)?
I recommend that you have a steamer.
But to do it you lay it on the table and press the brim down along the edges of the crown, like right where the leather band is. You do that until the brim has a slight upward tilt to it and stays that way. Once you have that form take your steamer and steam the brim well enough to where you can shape it to anyway you like. If you have a tea kettle you can steam the hat that way but it'll be a little harder. Once the brim is pretty well steamed start to push the brim down onto the table gently to flatten it out. For me i kept the back part of the brim upwards a little bit with the front part flat. I might post a video on how to do it so that its easier to understand. Its fairly easy and if you know who Nick Fouqet is it makes your hat look like his without spending 1000 bucks.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
But to do it you lay it on the table and press the brim down along the edges of the crown, like right where the leather band is. You do that until the brim has a slight upward tilt to it and stays that way. Once you have that form take your steamer and steam the brim well enough to where you can shape it to anyway you like. If you have a tea kettle you can steam the hat that way but it'll be a little harder. Once the brim is pretty well steamed start to push the brim down onto the table gently to flatten it out. For me i kept the back part of the brim upwards a little bit with the front part flat. I might post a video on how to do it so that its easier to understand. Its fairly easy and if you know who Nick Fouqet is it makes your hat look like his without spending 1000 bucks.
much easier with an iron ... but once you remove the flange from a brim , it's gone

philosophy101

A-List Customer
Thank you for your detailed reply!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Late coming in tonight. Work's dragging...

Happy Happy Birthday, Alan @alanfgag !!!

Royal Stetson today. I used to like this hat. I love it since Bob Jesse at BlackSheep Hat Works @navarre did a wonderful refurb on it for me.

The young man that took my daughter to the prom came up to me at church the last time I wore it there... and 3 times during the morning services, Sunday school classes, and afterward, he said, "I REALLY like that hat!" If I didn't have so much coin invested in it, I probably would have put it on his head. Who knows, sometime before he leaves for missionary service I might just find a hat for him yet.

i-fBtgqZp-XL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21