Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'm sadly finding out is that lack of $$$$ is keeping me from doing more with hats. To make your conversions come out nice you want to have the tools and materials to work with. You would want hat blocks, brim flanges, rounding jack, good quality leather sweats, ribbon, and there's just so much more you would need. My income is very limited and Social Security and working part time in a Warehouse doesn't pay well at all. The wife and I can't even afford to buy health insurance. So I'll stop there before I get myself worked up into an angry political rant. I would love to do so much more but I'm limited right now. I guess my frustration is showing. ;)

But, if you're doing conversions for yourself, find a hat block for your size, around a quarter inch larger than your head measurement. If you're going to do a snap brim you'll also need a brim flange for the width you want. What I like to do, if the hat I'm converting is the same as my head size, is to try and reuse some of the original stuff that came with it, like the sweat and liner, or the ribbon, if they're in good shape. You want to make sure the hat you're converting is fur felt. There's other shortcuts you can take if you don't have the tools to work with but your hats won't come out nearly as good and won't look as crisp.

Thank you for your help. It sounds like I'd be over my head in no time. I've read others who improvised with what they had around the house and maybe a plastic block by Hat Shapers. I thought it would be a fun project and that I'd end up with a wearable hat. An exercise in frustration with disappointing results is not what I'm looking for.

I'll keep scrounging at antique stores and searching eBay.

Thank you again for your help.

dc75e2fc8c2425a3da65e7091529d9c7.jpg
Very beautiful this morning. Such a lovely shade of gray. You made my day.

Yay! The Esther parade begins. The colors on this creation is just perfect Bill. Love the overcoat.

Same here Bill

c3e851fa8ae1b709681c79302473f254.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Looking bright and sunny Harv. Your Esther collection is truly inspiring.

Sun just broke out for the first time in about a week. A Dobbs.
Super looking Dobbs. I like those super wide ribbons. Is this a back bow? What model Dobbs?

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
A chilly and increasingly windy morning had me trying a few different hats. First this Davis Hat Co
DSCN5701 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN5698 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
But when a mighty gust of wind lifted it off my head I changed to this Stetson cap,
DSCN5706 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
10-15-2017 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I think it will be what I wear when I get out on my bicycle errands today. But it was still rather chilly and I seem to remember someone around here saying if you can wear a cape, wear a cape. So,
DSCN5733 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN5739 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN5737 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I settled on this Charles Knox for my coffee in the yard. The coffee is in an insulated mug today.

Have a fine Sunday,
Michael

Last edited:
Thank you, Greg. I came very close to doing a Cattleman crease OR clone on that Stagecoach. In fact, I had it creased that way and it looked great but I changed my mind at the last minute. I definitely plan to do another one. I'd like to see your Levine if you get around to posting it.

Here you go, Terry. 2 3/4" brim, about 4 1/2" at the crease and 5 1/4" at the sides.
CIMG3671.JPG
CIMG3670.JPG
CIMG3672.JPG

A chilly and increasingly windy morning had me trying a few different hats. First this Davis Hat Co
But when a mighty gust of wind lifted it off my head I changed to this Stetson cap,
DSCN5718 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I think it will be what I wear when I get out on my bicycle errands today. But it was still rather chilly and I seem to remember someone around here saying if you can wear a cape, wear a cape. So,
I settled on this Charles Knox for my coffee in the yard. The coffee is in an insulated mug today.

Have a fine Sunday,
Michael
Very enjoyable fashion show this morning Michael. That cape is da bomb! I want one now. Chance of one showing up in Hicksville thrift stores...poor.

DSCN5718 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Have a fine Sunday,
Michael

You never disappoint! Great hat and cap. For a bike ride does the cap get the nod?

To wear a cape you need verve, and you have it by the bucket. What a great look and practical to boot. Have a great day.

Samuel

Practically Family
IMG_6326.JPG
IMG_6323.JPG
...So my daughter Hannah broke her collar bone last night and we took her to the hospital; spent the good portion of the night there. Finally came back and got a few hours of rest. Woke up early started a spicy hot apple cider, Hannah loves my special fall/winter drink. I make it from scratch and add a little bourbon for myself. Then, we put on the perennial classic—The Great Pumpkin, so she can have a little entertainment and fun. I'm wearing my new/vintage Knox Premier.

View attachment 89421
IMG_6316.JPG
IMG_6319.JPG
C
IMG_6317.JPG
IMG_6322.JPG

Last edited:

Mm25

One Too Many
Very beautiful this morning. Such a lovely shade of gray. You made my day.

Yay! The Esther parade begins. The colors on this creation is just perfect Bill. Love the overcoat.

Looking bright and sunny Harv. Your Esther collection is truly inspiring.

Super looking Dobbs. I like those super wide ribbons. Is this a back bow? What model Dobbs?
It is a backbow, model unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL