Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel

Practically Family
MrsFed and I got out to see a movie with Jackie Chan, The Foreigner. I wore the Penman in steel and MrsFed wore a blue cap. She keeps threatening to cut my chin whiskers! It's getting cold here. Time for Donegal Tweed by Magee!

i-fQvMPGQ-M.jpg
i-4Xqdrvh-M.jpg

i-rFBvD2L-M.jpg
i-PQhN3fK-M.jpg

i-BT7Pv6q-L.jpg

Hecka nice

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
That is a wonderful Borsalino Stefan. I love everything about it.

Thanks friend. Mike at NW Hats pounced the beaver nice and light. It is also unlined, comfortable 3 seasons during the year.

I look at the map of California fires every day and think of you. Nice to be able to wear such a nice milan in October.

This is classic TJ. Did it start out as a full on western?

What a priceless image Moon. The 15 and the pooch are quite a pair.

Wow! Color combo is killer. Nice finish too.

You are not that shaggy...yet. Love both hats on you guys.

That is a fantastic Mallory. You certainly have game, good sir.
Thank you, Michael

I sure love this one, Greg.

Thank you, Doug.

The contrasting ribbon makes that one zing, nice.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Richard.

Worth waiting for.

Just like you, Robert.

Killer felt and band color combo.
Been seeing a lot of good looking light colored felts on here lately.

Thank you, sir.

Wow! Color c

Thank you, Michae. Hope the weekends events went well.

Bomb colors

Thanks, Sam.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking at a light gray Resistol Tycoon for my first attempt at a conversion. Any advice? Is this donor hat not a good candidate? I'm sort of jumping in blind here, but I think I can figure it out and learn as I go. Thank you.
What I'm sadly finding out is that lack of $$$$ is keeping me from doing more with hats. To make your conversions come out nice you want to have the tools and materials to work with. You would want hat blocks, brim flanges, rounding jack, good quality leather sweats, ribbon, and there's just so much more you would need. My income is very limited and Social Security and working part time in a Warehouse doesn't pay well at all. The wife and I can't even afford to buy health insurance. So I'll stop there before I get myself worked up into an angry political rant. I would love to do so much more but I'm limited right now. I guess my frustration is showing. ;)

But, if you're doing conversions for yourself, find a hat block for your size, around a quarter inch larger than your head measurement. If you're going to do a snap brim you'll also need a brim flange for the width you want. What I like to do, if the hat I'm converting is the same as my head size, is to try and reuse some of the original stuff that came with it, like the sweat and liner, or the ribbon, if they're in good shape. You want to make sure the hat you're converting is fur felt. There's other shortcuts you can take if you don't have the tools to work with but your hats won't come out nearly as good and won't look as crisp.

Last edited:

Samuel

Practically Family
Thank you, buddy. I really appreciate that.

You probably saw me wearing my Bradford 7X quality conversion. It looks nearly identical to the Resistol except that I did my Bradford on a different block that was more rounded. Both have the same open crown height with the same height at the pinch and with the same rake. Both have the same 2 3/4 brim width and were flanged on the same brim flange. I creased the Bradford in a C Crown to make the sides straighter because of the rounded block shape it was on. The Stagecoach was creased in a Teardrop because that block was straight sided.

This is the Bradford....
Bradford_Blue_Shirt_2a.jpg
Bradford_7_X_Conversion_Hat_3.jpg

C Crown
Bradford_7_X_Conversion_Hat_1.jpg

This is the Resistol Stagecoach....
Stagecoach_Silverbelly_Redo_5.jpg
Stagecoach_Silverbelly_Hat_Redo_1.jpg

Teardrop
Stagecoach_Silverbelly_Hat_Redo_6.jpg

I'd like to do an ORish conversion in a different color, though.
Hecka nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL