Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Bartender
Ephraim Tutt said:
I had a gripe about this hat earlier today on the eBay thread. It was desribed as 'gray' and it when it arrived today it turned out to be brown.

Then I put it on.

Most hats take time to feel right, to get used to you and you to it. Not this lid. Sometimes a magical synergy happens and from the moment it ascends your melon it feels like it belongs there. This Mallory is one such hat. From the moment I put it on I didn't want to take it off - so brown or not I love this hat.

I don't know what model it is and I do know it needs a bath, but it's going to be a go-to hat for me.

Proportions:

Brim: 2 1/4 inches
Crown: 5 1/4" uncreased
Ribbon: 1 1/2"
Sweat: Just shy of 2"
Colour: Close to what Akubra calls 'Regency Fawn'
Size 7 1/4

I'm guessing it's late 40's/ early 50's? There's no retailer's stamp on the sweat.
(The spots on the pics are some raindrops).

SDC10293.jpg
SDC10291.jpg
SDC10295.jpg

Mr Tutt... I believe you made your case!
Thats a fine hat!!!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goose. said:
And, my wife is watching the movie “Mama Mia”…when I found myself singing along, that is when I thought I needed to get centered and post here.

Thanks for the Life Line brothers!!!!

Hope you each find your “Dancing Queen”…until then, I remain, humbly yours’…
Goose

lol lol lol You are too much, my friend! I'd love to hear you sing "Dancing Queen" over a couple nice scotches some time!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
RBH said:
Mr Tutt... I believe you made your case!
Thats a fine hat!!!

Many thanks RBH. Even with a wide ribbon?!

I think those proportions are what suit me best. I've forgiven this hat for being brown. It was a pretty good pick up for around $15.

Mr. Paladin

Garrett said:
Anon is right - I've gained a bit of weight over the past few years and niether of my two suits fit. With the holidays approaching and my love of eggnog with spirits there doesn't seem to be a slim down in sight.

For now, I hope y'all don't mind the trench coat shots - of course I could always go back to the traditional closeups of JUST the hats :D

Hey Garrett, don't sweat the weight. Big Al Capone carried some and it will just make those two beautiful VS Capone clones right at home. Man, I love those hats!

Mr. Paladin

Ephraim Tutt said:
I had a gripe about this hat earlier today on the eBay thread. It was desribed as 'gray' and it when it arrived today it turned out to be brown.

Then I put it on.

Most hats take time to feel right, to get used to you and you to it. Not this lid. Sometimes a magical synergy happens and from the moment it ascends your melon it feels like it belongs there. This Mallory is one such hat. From the moment I put it on I didn't want to take it off - so brown or not I love this hat.

I don't know what model it is and I do know it needs a bath, but it's going to be a go-to hat for me.

SDC10295.jpg

That is really a nice hat for you. Very useful shade of brown. Don't neglect that Shudde Bros. OR though, the wide brim has a classic look on you.

Mr. Paladin

Ephraim Tutt said:
No worries Mr P! I won't neglect that Texan lid!

The Mallory has a Whippet look about it, don't you think?

A bit so. Whippets have a wider edge binding but the proportions have much the same look. I do like it and I don't normally care for a brim that short.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Mario said:
As I just (re)learned a few days ago, the 'Established in 1817' in the liner hints at post-1946 (when Stetson took over Mallory). I'd say it's from the 1950's.

Yep Mario - hence my late 40's/early 50's guess. In the aftermath of the takeover Stetson kept the same liner as Mallory used, with the one exception being the change to the establishment date. So, this lid belongs in that aftermath period somewhere.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:
Mr. tutt: that is one heck of a nice hat! Brown or gray, it looks great; nice catch!!

Many thanks Scion. It's fast become a favourite of mine. The funny thing is that if it had been correctly described as 'brown' rather than 'gray' I would not even have bid on it.

Which would have been my loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL