Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent, Mike! Reminds me I need to get down to Cincy and say, "Hey" to Mr. Miller.

Today, I'm proud to present my "new" Peters Bros "Tankersley." I talked Anthony out of this hat. He had it made after I had them make my black one a couple years ago. This one has the exact specs as mine, featuring the tall crown and 2 7/8" brim. The ribbon is also identical, as I chose a vintage green thin ribbon for the OR clone.

I had wanted to score another from PB, but came up short last year when someone - I forget who - posted pics of a recent PB purchase and their quality of finishing had taken a real nosedive. I hope they've improved, but this is better, as it was made by the same hands as my previous one, which I love. The fit and feel on this one is identical to my other.

784267621f7874e8714f259911dfaad4.jpg
f3f83bc229ff527f8a4a0445853198db.jpg
8d7395a039614fdc52445df9834eeb67.jpg

Both of the brothers together.

6a1001d20f919a0f293caad5ba238815.jpg
b5cff4d142ab46b27b61ffcbaccb98e3.jpg

Thanks, Ant!

Now I have to go wrassle that bear, or they won't let me have my kibble.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Love the lines on these. Looks like you got a good one. I've been thinking of PB lately, sure gets my juices flowing...

Last few days.
Went out to jasper with the family. Nothing exciting just my New Era on-field and my Tilley T4
95a7639a50a5a749567d2ff0998bbccb.jpg

e85616e70c501ae28aa2b35abd4e6a4b.jpg

Then back to doing flooring. Left the Akubra alone and went for my 26 year old Tilley T3
f2ee3563600523e1bfa08b4ac50d3b27.jpg

98e065e0ebc618e2cb8f6347f5317196.jpg

Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I visited Jasper back in 1974, beautiful. That Tilley is not as scary for major renovation work than a VS.

View attachment 129852
Borsalino this morning.
Yesssss! Nice morning Borso!

I'm in the mood for a black hat this morning. Hut Spanke sold this one in Munster
DSCN3911 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The wind keeps shaking big raindrops out of the trees
DSCN3912 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN3923 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
8-6-2018 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Michael
I always love this hat. Back bow and interesting colors are it's high points for me.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Excellent, Mike! Reminds me I need to get down to Cincy and say, "Hey" to Mr. Miller.

Today, I'm proud to present my "new" Peters Bros "Tankersley." I talked Anthony out of this hat. He had it made after I had them make my black one a couple years ago. This one has the exact specs as mine, featuring the tall crown and 2 7/8" brim. The ribbon is also identical, as I chose a vintage green thin ribbon for the OR clone.

I had wanted to score another from PB, but came up short last year when someone - I forget who - posted pics of a recent PB purchase and their quality of finishing had taken a real nosedive. I hope they've improved, but this is better, as it was made by the same hands as my previous one, which I love. The fit and feel on this one is identical to my other.

784267621f7874e8714f259911dfaad4.jpg
f3f83bc229ff527f8a4a0445853198db.jpg
8d7395a039614fdc52445df9834eeb67.jpg

Both of the brothers together.

6a1001d20f919a0f293caad5ba238815.jpg
b5cff4d142ab46b27b61ffcbaccb98e3.jpg

Thanks, Ant!

Now I have to go wrassle that bear, or they won't let me have my kibble.

I also hope Peters Bros improves. They are only 20 minutes from the house. They could easily be my source for custom work but the few times I've used them I was very disappointed. I have a Peters Bros Shady Oaks Bankers Special 100 that needs a new ribbon treatment. But I will be sending it off to have the work done.

Love the lines on these. Looks like you got a good one. I've been thinking of PB lately, sure gets my juices flowing...

I also hope Peters Bros improves. They are only 20 minutes from the house. They could easily be my source for custom work but the few times I've used them I was very disappointed. I have a Peters Bros Shady Oaks Bankers Special 100 that needs a new ribbon treatment. But I will be sending it off to have the work done.

Thanks, guys. Yes, PB always made a top quality hat, but after the one son left (Shane, maybe?), it looked as though they needed to hire somebody with better sewing/finishing skills.

Was it you, Bill, who had to send one elsewhere for fixing after getting a custom? Has anybody seen any of their recent work?

Has Bill ever hooked up with David (@DJH) to talk hats?

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, guys. Yes, PB always made a top quality hat, but after the one son left (Shane, maybe?), it looked as though they needed to hire somebody with better sewing/finishing skills.

Was it you, Bill, who had to send one elsewhere for fixing after getting a custom? Has anybody seen any of their recent work?

Has Bill ever hooked up with David (@DJH) to talk hats?

I had to send two vintage Peters Bros hats to Art Fawcett (VS Custom Hats) to get fixed after they had been worked on by the current crew at Peters Bros. You can read about and see the hats in the Peters Bros thread.

I have never talked with David aka @DJH.

I sure miss all those fairs and markets in Europe, I lived in Germany near Frankfurt for 6 yrs. Amazing book and flea markets. Nothing like it here in the states.
Thanks Stefan. I'm actually quite liking the grommets, both aesthetically and functionally. I'm really fond of the color and the shape of the hat.

Thanks Stefan. I really like the shape and size of that one. I really need to buckle down and do some work on it.

In person I would say more lemon than golden, though with a golden ribbon and binding. Love that color.

Super hat for a super event. That sounds like a blast. Find any interesting books on hats?

It was a sauna here this evening, so I went with a Champ Featherweight for a little futzing in the yard.
DSCN3890 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
After most of the day sweating up my Stetson flat cap on the bike I wanted a bit of felt hat.
DSCN3903 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN3899 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Hope everyone's weekend is winding down in a satisfactory manner,
Michael
Wow.
cd1c20a293513b285f9f0e1255f1ed13.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Glad to hear your back is on the mend. (Picked that up from your earlier email today, which I read on my phone) The weave still amazes me on this one.
Looking good there, Stefan. I really need to put the Deventer bookmarket in my calendar for next year. Did you rturn home with a large pile of books? I'm sure I would :)

Thanks, gents. I always have a blast when visiting the Deventer bookmarket. If you ever have a chance to go: do! First sunday of august every year. Just to give an impression: here's a shot of it from above. The stalls go all the way from the tiny looking railway bridge in the upper left corner along the IJssel river (not forgetting the square round the church) and to the town square middle right. Nothing but books; mindboggling really.

Very dangerous if you go there for the first time, because you might need a mule to haul away all the books you'll end up with. Veterans like myself are more careful (but still end up with a bag full). Actually there's a special service to deliver your books to a special pick-up point during the day.

Only picked up one book on hats there though in all the years I visited the place. Could be I missed one though:D

deventer.jpg

Thanks Stefan. I'm actually quite liking the grommets, both aesthetically and functionally. I'm really fond of the color and the shape of the hat.

Thanks Stefan. I really like the shape and size of that one. I really need to buckle down and do some work on it.

In person I would say more lemon than golden, though with a golden ribbon and binding. Love that color.

Super hat for a super event. That sounds like a blast. Find any interesting books on hats?

It was a sauna here this evening, so I went with a Champ Featherweight for a little futzing in the yard.
DSCN3890 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
After most of the day sweating up my Stetson flat cap on the bike I wanted a bit of felt hat.
DSCN3903 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN3899 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Hope everyone's weekend is winding down in a satisfactory manner,
Michael
Great hat, Michael. I need more of these lightweights; love them.

I'll post a full report later, but I just had to share a few photos from my pilgrimage to Byrnie Utz hats in Seattle. I did buy something, a cheap Cappas Straw, more on that tomorrow. I'm wearing a mid-1950s Knox, just like in the day.

View attachment 129840 View attachment 129841 View attachment 129842 View attachment 129843
The only thing Borsalino I brought home was the bag.
I thinks that counts as official pilgrimage, Mike. Full indulgence for future (hat) sins. The Knox looks superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24