Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mossant Monday

b6c2ea5b6d9eaf57b4ad61577a02af6e.jpg
Most excellent, Christophe!

It is in the 50s here this morning. Pilgrim for coffee in the sunshine
DSCN4866 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN4868 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN4849 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Three different lights, three different colors
DSCN4857 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Will be warming up fairly quickly I think, but for now it's jacket weather
9-10-2018 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a good one,
Michael
That's a winner, Michael. Beautiful.

Been out and about the last few days. The annual fair is upon since friday; think oktoberfest against a backdrop of fairground attractions (look up "kermis volendam" if you want to know more). Sort of an endurance run for drinking beer (or any other alcoholic beverage): if you last four days, well, then you're one of us! I don't go the full four days anymore, but limit myself to saturday and sunday. Did take a few pics of myself. These are the "before" snaps though.
Borsalino nero
IMG_0903.jpg

Borsalino nutria opale
IMG_0904.jpg

Adam feather-lite
IMG_0905.jpg

It's the kind of feast where nothing is sacred, but the borsalino nero stayed untouched and unblemished. I like to think it commands that kind of respect, even from drunk philistines.:)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's a Bradford Ltd OR clone that I was able to save from the trash can and give new life to. I really messed this one up a few years ago and I stripped it down for its ribbon and bow and brim binding for another project. I was going to throw the hat away but decided rather to see if I could save it and make it wearable again. It's a favorite! I'm glad I was able to save it. I have more in the conversion corral...

Bradford_Ltd_conversion_14.A.jpg

Bradford_ltd_6_A.jpg

Bradford_Ltd_conversion_16_A.jpg

A little Rock A Billy from Jimmy and Johnny

Gene Vincent with vintage Bettie Page:

Here's a Bradford Ltd OR clone that I was able to save from the trash can and give new life to. I really messed this one up a few years ago and I stripped it down for its ribbon and bow and brim binding for another project. I was going to throw the hat away but decided rather to see if I could save it and make it wearable again. It's a favorite! I'm glad I was able to save it. I have more in the conversion corral...

Bradford_ltd_6_A.jpg

I like the way you gave an old hat a new life. Looks great Terry.

Been out and about the last few days. The annual fair is upon since friday; think oktoberfest against a backdrop of fairground attractions (look up "kermis volendam" if you want to know more). Sort of an endurance run for drinking beer (or any other alcoholic beverage): if you last four days, well, then you're one of us! I don't go the full four days anymore, but limit myself to saturday and sunday. Did take a few pics of myself. These are the "before" snaps though.
Borsalino nero View attachment 134979

Borsalino nutria opale
View attachment 134980

Adam feather-lite
View attachment 134981

It's the kind of feast where nothing is sacred, but the borsalino nero stayed untouched and unblemished. I like to think it commands that kind of respect, even from drunk philistines.:)
Keep that beauty away from drunk hands. All of these hats are just right.

Bradford_ltd_6_A.jpg

That one turned out great. A Bradford? Kind of an interesting brand.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A vtg.Stetson Stratoliner was my hat of choice for morning chores. The bigger brimmed Playboy, 2 7/8," is a silverbelly hued felt. I enjoy wearing this hat.

i-G4gsWCT-M.jpg

i-7F4PHHG-M.jpg

i-jB2rXqs-M.jpg

Unfortunately when shoveling out the fire pit this morning I knocked it off my head and it was dirtied in the cold ashes. Not dusty, but soiled. I have the hat cleaning in a white gas bath and will give it a brushing and steam this afternoon when the white gas has evaporated. Should be good to go by early evening.

Vtg. hats are meant to be worn and they are surprisingly durable.

Eric -
That's a grand Playboy Eric! What is the open crown height on this one?

Tukwila

It is in the 50s here this morning. Pilgrim for coffee in the sunshine
DSCN4866 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN4868 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN4849 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Three different lights, three different colors
DSCN4857 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Will be warming up fairly quickly I think, but for now it's jacket weather
9-10-2018 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a good one,
Michael
Such a killer hat, Michael, and a great look!

What is "white gas", Eric? White gasoline? I've heard the term "gasolina blanca" in Mexico. Is it that? I read in another thread about a "naphta bath". Which one is better?
And the hatter I took it to the other day in Mexico City mentioned a "perclorato"... Have you heard of a "perchlorate" bath?
If you use a white gas bath, won't the hat smell of gas even after drying?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Hey, Max. White gas is distilled petroleum naphtha spirits. I think most of us pick it up as Coleman campstove fuel. It's highly distilled and purified and no, the smell dissipates quickly after it dries.

"Perchlorate," this is just a guess, may be perchloroethylene, also historically used in some dry cleaning processes.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Tukwila

What is "white gas", Eric? White gasoline? I've heard the term "gasolina blanca" in Mexico. Is it that? I read in another thread about a "naphta bath". Which one is better?
And the hatter I took it to the other day in Mexico City mentioned a "perclorato"... Have you heard of a "perchlorate" bath?
If you use a white gas bath, won't the hat smell of gas even after drying?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
White gas refers to refined fuel for camp stoves here... very close relative, IIRC, to actual naptha (if not actually the same thing)... and what we all use for cleaning our hats. Coleman is the most known brand, but I've used Crown brand fuel as well.

White gas is so refined that after it dries for about 3 hours the smell goes away completely.

I wonder if your hatter uses a diluted sodium perchlorate bath, which is an ingredient in OxiClean... something I have used in a much too strong mixture to try to spot clean a hat, and it left a white bleached out spot.

The white gas/naptha bath method we use is just by dunking the whole hat in the gas. In my experience, laundry soap and oxiclean soaking can be ok with felt, but it has to be rinsed well and tends to remove colors from the satin liner... I only did this with a beater hat and would recommend removing the liner and sweat in that case. Your hatter sounds like he knows what he's doing, so just ask him.

With the gas, reblocking isn't needed but would be with a water based soak like the guess I made about sodium perchlorate, oxiclean, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24