Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings All:
Ok...today the Postal Lady brightened this dreary rainy day with a couple pair of boots.
So, to make em feel right at home i pulled an old No.1
Boot bomb photo included.
Be well. Bowen
6D255E80-AC19-49A8-9F17-B69F15A7A9DE.jpeg
47026D59-142B-4E89-8B1F-8950730D81DB.jpeg
8A87D920-7C6D-4D30-B1A7-7B7459181B72.jpeg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
What is "white gas", Eric? White gasoline? I've heard the term "gasolina blanca" in Mexico. Is it that? I read in another thread about a "naphta bath". Which one is better?
And the hatter I took it to the other day in Mexico City mentioned a "perclorato"... Have you heard of a "perchlorate" bath?
If you use a white gas bath, won't the hat smell of gas even after drying?

Max; More info here - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-stratoliner-society-vintage.8329/page-36#post-1279162 . This is a different Stetson Startoliner, but same treatment.

Well Eric, this accident is excused. Just don't let it happen again. The same thing could have happened in 1955, the owner would just take it to his local hat shop and have it spiffed up. We have to be the stewards today in the absence of a hat store on every corner.

Thanks sir.

That's a grand Playboy Eric! What is the open crown height on this one?

Brim is 2 3/4" with a crown height of 5.5".

Here is a pic of the cleaned hat.

i-Jr2JpBG-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
White gas refers to refined fuel for camp stoves here... very close relative, IIRC, to actual naptha (if not actually the same thing)... and what we all use for cleaning our hats. Coleman is the most known brand, but I've used Crown brand fuel as well.

White gas is so refined that after it dries for about 3 hours the smell goes away completely.

I wonder if your hatter uses a diluted sodium perchlorate bath, which is an ingredient in OxiClean... something I have used in a much too strong mixture to try to spot clean a hat, and it left a white bleached out spot.

The white gas/naptha bath method we use is just by dunking the whole hat in the gas. In my experience, laundry soap and oxiclean soaking can be ok with felt, but it has to be rinsed well and tends to remove colors from the satin liner... I only did this with a beater hat and would recommend removing the liner and sweat in that case. Your hatter sounds like he knows what he's doing, so just ask him.

With the gas, reblocking isn't needed but would be with a water based soak like the guess I made about sodium perchlorate, oxiclean, etc.
Thank you, Doug.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Hey, Max. White gas is distilled petroleum naphtha spirits. I think most of us pick it up as Coleman campstove fuel. It's highly distilled and purified and no, the smell dissipates quickly after it dries.

"Perchlorate," this is just a guess, may be perchloroethylene, also historically used in some dry cleaning processes.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Thank you, Jim

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Love that Pilgrim Michael! It probably makes the coffee taste that much better.
Thanks Bob. I think my coffee tastes pretty good in the morning whatever hat I'm wearing. Could be my caffeine addiction talking there.

You were both winners!
Thanks Stefan

It will be time for us to dust off our jackets this week, rainy NW weather is finally back. We have had no measurable rain since June! Love the Pilgrim, nice crease!
We had our rain last week. The river has dropped back down about 4' in the last couple of days. Now some cool mornings and evenings are showing up and I like that a whole lot.

That's a winner, Michael. Beautiful.
Thanks Stefan.

Such a killer hat, Michael, and a great look!
Thanks Doug.

Stetson Excellent Whippet made for the Japanese market in Phantom Gray.

View attachment 134997 View attachment 134998 View attachment 134999
That Japanese market Whippet is really great.

Thanks all,
Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Been out and about the last few days. The annual fair is upon since friday; think oktoberfest against a backdrop of fairground attractions (look up "kermis volendam" if you want to know more). Sort of an endurance run for drinking beer (or any other alcoholic beverage): if you last four days, well, then you're one of us! I don't go the full four days anymore, but limit myself to saturday and sunday. Did take a few pics of myself. These are the "before" snaps though.
Borsalino nero View attachment 134979

Borsalino nutria opale
View attachment 134980

Adam feather-lite
View attachment 134981

It's the kind of feast where nothing is sacred, but the borsalino nero stayed untouched and unblemished. I like to think it commands that kind of respect, even from drunk philistines.:)
Sounds like a great party. And some great hats to wear to a party too.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy