Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yesterday, Adam Marston (in Cloud)
5226481904_c8dcc85ccc.jpg

Beauty, Billy! Thanks to you and everyone for the props on my AdaMajestic!

I find that to really stretch a hat to a size or two larger requires water and Lexol. I carefully moisten the leather sweatband with the Lexol on the smooth surface and use some H20 on the absorbent back. I place some plastic strips I have inside, behind the leather to keep it separate from the felt until later when all is dry. Then I wet where the crown and brim meet, completely dampening the grosgrain ribbon and bow. You see, the ribbon fights your stretching efforts, but when wet it gives and then dries in its new position. So, I carefully crank in a hat jack and let the whole thing dry overnight. Repeat if necessary. WARNING: Sweatbands (especially old ones) will only take so much, so it's entirely possible that this treatment could rip it. But when it works out properly, the hat loses it's 'memory' and doesn't tend to shrink down as much between wearings. Takes that "snug" part out of it.

Thanks for sharing your technique. This particular hat stretched a good amount with steaming, but I've had trouble holding a stretch on a couple of others. Thanks to my new found love affair with ebay, I think I will have the opportunity for lots of practice!

Chinaski

One Too Many
Some great hats today! Bolt, HPG, you guys look great. Mario, that's a GREAT noir picture - the whole thing works! Mr. Friedman, I haven't seen your other posts, so welcome to the Lounge, and your upturned brim warrants the optimism. Dinerman, your ensemble puts the "man" in Dinerman. You looked decked out and ready to go!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Great photo and striking pose... interesting irony to compose with the CD tower! Love it.

Glad that you noted the irony...even though I have to confess that it wasn't really intended that way. Honestly: It'd be just a tad too much to get all that stuff out of the way every time I want to take a photo. My flat is rather small with a mere 54 m2 (incl. balcony) and that corner is simply the least crammed.

Let's just say that there were time travellers back then... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR