Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to all for the kind appreciation of the Semicalado.
RLK: That's a fine weave you've got there on the Panama. PB or Optimo?
Panamabob supplied the soft-block body, I then brought it to Optimo to be blocked and finished, therefore it is technically not an Optimo(selected or labeled) hat.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Cross Country

42227bfd-2.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful OR, hato, it really looks great on you.

Wonderful photo, Rob. It still looks a bit chilly, though, as you have your coat buttoned up!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
A Farewell To Winter

Last week, in what proved to be( let us hope) Winter's final flourish, we took a trip up to the Northshore of Lake Superior to savor the changing of the seasons.

Duluth, MN, the gateway to Lake Superior's Northshore. Southwest view towards the harbor. To the right is the old Fitger's Brewery, now on the National Register Of Historic Places, with a charming inn and excellent brewpub.

A tempestuous day, with temperatures in the 30s, and snow mixed with rain. The harbor and near shore areas still covered by ice. VS, Granite.

View looking northeast up the Northshore of Lake Superior, where we are headed.

American Herring Gull adjacent to Fitger's Brewery.

Canal Park, an old waterfront warehouse district that has now been coverted into a bustling tourist destination.

With the dreadful weather we decided to do some antique picking locally. Interesting old sign, but much too big to haul back home...this time.

Trying on a very nice, '30s-'40s mackinaw or lumberjack jacket I found...and purchased. Note the rare blue/gray example at bottom right. I absolutely love these vintage wool jackets, whose 'Golden Age' largely paralleled our vintage hats.

Ore freighter approaching the Aerial Lift Bridge at dusk, on the way out into Lake Superior. The port of Duluth-Superior is the largest tonnage port on the Great Lakes, and the number one dry bulk port in the U.S.

The iconic Aerial Lift Bridge at night. Originally built in 1905, its entire span lifts vertically to allow passage of freighter traffic. It is on the National Register Of Historic Places and maintained by the Army Corps Of Engineers.

The next day brought glorious sunshine and incredibly blue skies. The 1910 Orpheum Theater in downtown Duluth. Last year, while antique picking, we found a monumental and spectacular pair of urns, which had originally graced the stage of this Vaudeville-style theater back in the '10s-'20s. It then underwent a series of tumultuous transformations, having been converted first to a movie theater, and most recently, a strip club. It is currently awaiting restoration back to a live theater.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Ellingson Island, near Split Rock Lighthouse. The atmospheric conditions made for unusually blue skies and water.

One of the most photographed and most photogenic lighthouses in America, Split Rock Lighthouse, just a few miles from Beaver Bay along the Lake Superior Northshore. Borsalino Alessandria, Avorio, and my Minnesota-made '30s Lake-O-Woods wool jacket.

The trail along the shore at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park was still covered in many areas by ice, but the always breathtaking views were well worth the extra effort required to navigate the obstacles.

Early Spring hikes are usually plagued by ice along the trails, but this is the best time of the year to study the extraordinary diversity of lichen, moss, and mushroom species in the Northwoods.

Keeping an eye out for falling timber. Late Winter storms typically batter the Northshore, and this Winter was no exception. The Paper Birch trees in particular have had a rough few seasons with climate changes and storms, and we saw a large Birch snap and topple over next to the trail not more than thirty feet away from us.

One of myriad mushroom species we tried to identify.

Studying lichen under a canopy of evergreens.

Hat on a branch.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

At our lodge for an early supper, and getting ready for another hike before dark. VS once again.

Tranquil cove adjacent to the lodge.

Ice formation along the lakeshore at dusk. Beverly Hills Deluxe Quality, White, or perhaps, Ice!

A little too early in the season for kayaking or canoeing.

Early evening at the cove, and the temperature is plummeting.

Started a fire to roast marshmallows and make S'mores.

Tending the fire in my VS.

The capriciousness of Mother Nature and Gichigami on full display. View of Ellingson Island the following day, with howling northeast winds and three inches of snow falling by late morning.

We returned home with indelible memories of a wonderful time spent with family and Nature, as well as a haul of antiques, to include three vintage lids...but I will save that for another time...

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Rob - I had to look up Letchworth State Park - looks to be a beautiful place.

Delectans - great shots of your trip to that little pond :D You took some super hats with you too! I'm always overwhelmed by the size of the Great Lakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko