Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE

071411.jpg

[/QUOTE]

That shade of green exactly matches my envy. Looks great with the yellow tee, too!

T Rick

Practically Family
SUPER hats today Gents!

I could cry...

A gray OR that was my size....and you stretched it?

No tears, it was a nice gentle steam induced one size (only the second hat I've stretched, and I've pretty much decided I won't be doing any more). But it now is MY size, and does fit. WRT the brim, I'd thought I had made it wonky by stretching, but I've just pulled the before pics off the camera, and the brim was in the same condition when it arrived here.

I don't see any problem with the brim at all in the photos, but I've been able to successfully tweak brims with just steam or water and my fingers (and sometimes an iron. You don't have anything to lose by trying, so why not give it a whirl?

You can clean a hat in naptha without removing either the liner or the sweatband, if that's what you're asking.
I was thinking of the cleaning done by my hatter. But thinking about it, he was talking of hand cleaning the Mallory in order to preserve the printing on the sweat, so it must not come out for that, though it may for blocking, I really don't know (I am a complete uneducated noob in terms of restoration/hat cleaning and repair, some things I really need to learn about!).

WRT the brim, turns out it was the way it is when it got here, not as a result of the stretching (remembered when I pulled last week's "before" pics off the camera). So I feel better about it now, knowing I didn't cause harm. In fact, it doesn't look so bad in the pics, because I spent some time this afternoon with the steamer trying to get it right. Not quite there, but way better than it was (might give it a go with the iron, or just another steamer session).

I'll post some more pics including the before in the New Hats thread, along with the Open Road Guild soon.

It's good to see you wearing it again. I thought you had given it to your daughter. That one photographs most accurately out of doors. Don't you agree?

Lily got it to hold, but not to have. She loves to point out that she looks better in every one of my hats than I do.

No doubt a daylight shot would be easier.

Many thanks for the comments, guys.

red71veloce

Familiar Face
Brutal? Low 90's is brutal? You'd melt here, or burst into flames.

I still wear my felt hats...even when it's over the century mark. Wearing the Adam Crusader I got from Josh today as a matter of fact.

For the most part it has been north of the century mark with high humidity for....oh ....I don't know....ever it seems! Couple that with the fact I am a sweater (my middle name should be cardigan) and add in that I'm bald....shaved even....and well felts of any weight/configuration.....lined/unlined etc are just out.

Longing for felt weather.

T

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I love that hat sir. I’ve been thinking about a Tumwater since you first posted that one. Now I’m thinking even harder.

A little cooler here in NH today as well. I've been enjoying my Silverbelly Tumwater hat. Actually, I always enjoy wearing this hat!

photo-101-L.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I love that hat sir. I’ve been thinking about a Tumwater since you first posted that one. Now I’m thinking even harder.

Thanks BJ. Tony does make some special hats - I'm a big fan. He is working on another for me so I'm looking forward to getting that one as well.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks BJ. Tony does make some special hats - I'm a big fan. He is working on another for me so I'm looking forward to getting that one as well.
I always enjoy seeing those Tumwater pics of yours. Congrats in advance on #...?

I'm wearing my sand colored Mallory derby today, after dipping the brim a bit. There's just something about it, though small-statured, that makes it seem full and balanced.
006copy.jpg

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks B-Man. It is going to be another light coloured hat - not sure of the ribbon yet though.

Today, I'm playing wearing my green Playboy

photo-102-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran