Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That large brimmed green Whippet is too cool!

David, the Mallory is perfect for you.

Me, I was wearing my MSA Hard Hat all day boring holes in the earth :D. Very hot and dusty on the jobsite today. Tonight, I'm thinking it's a good opportunity to wear my Panama Bob Rondado. No pics yet, haven't even worn it yet I don't think, had it around a month? Anyway, it's an inexpensive semi coaldo Panama, here's an eBay link to one.

Thanks T Rick - this is a really special hat. I now have two vintage Mallory's and they are way up there on my favorite list.

I hope you'll treat yourself to a nice beverage this evening after boring those holes all day.

This evening, I have another nice new hat to wear. Some people were surprised that I sold some nice hats in the last couple of weeks. Of course, my reason to sell good hats was so I could buy more good hats!

This photo was really poor - our iPhone cameras might be pretty good, but they hate strongly back-lit shots. I tried to save this by making it into arty-farty sepia.

The hat is my first from Optimo. Not new, but pretty close. The hat was pretty beaten up in shipping, so it has been steam fest here the last couple of hours! When I get the hat closer to how I want it, I'll post some better images.

photo-2-L.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I like it when the color almost exactly matches. And I guess I like it narrow. So I like it!

Filing that away in the memory banks in case a custom hat were to "ever" be in the cards...

I like that effect too. Some of the custom hat makers will dye the ribbon to get a match as well.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
DJH; New (to me) Mallory Nockabout at the office said:
http://www.photo.uniqueday.com/Other/SmugShots/i-THj7Tn5/0/L/smugshot498826-L.jpg[/IMG]

Nice one David!!! I can see you taking a nice fall walk up in the woods near the Penichuck in that one ! :)

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I think I prefer bound brims to raw ones (although that just probably means I haven't seen a raw one I really like yet) but I don't like when it contrasts. So that Mallory is kind of the best of both worlds, bound brim but the binding is "barely there". Perfect.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Nice one David!!! I can see you taking a nice fall walk up in the woods near the Penichuck in that one ! :)

Could do now it's getting cooler.

Ya know, I bought a cheap 60's Royal Deluxe Stetson (OR style) for hiking and outdoor stuff this summer. Not up to the job - the sweatband turned to cardboard and finally fell out last week. I'm thinking of getting either a Squatter or Fed IV as a replacement.

I think I prefer bound brims to raw ones (although that just probably means I haven't seen a raw one I really like yet) but I don't like when it contrasts. So that Mallory is kind of the best of both worlds, bound brim but the binding is "barely there". Perfect.

I agree to a large extent, but raw brims can be really nice as well on the right hat.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Ya know, I bought a cheap 60's Royal Deluxe Stetson (OR style) for hiking and outdoor stuff this summer. Not up to the job - the sweatband turned to cardboard and finally fell out last week. I'm thinking of getting either a Squatter or Fed IV as a replacement.

Get a Squatter, has a bound brim, nice 5 1/2" crown ( US version not the OZ one.) wide 3" brim, PERFECT for a day outside in ANY weather !!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Could do now it's getting cooler.

I agree to a large extent, but raw brims can be really nice as well on the right hat.

I am glad that you mentioned this. I have been hesitant to share my negative experiences this summer with felted hats. Like your experience, I wore a Stetson 15 (50's tan) on a 3 day backpacking trip at our place out near Yellowstone and the leather band distintegrated and the felt became a real mess in the 1/2 day rains . The hat, upon my return, was not recognizable as a fedora. (For hat lovers-I have the hat body (felt) blocked and waiting for me to address further. Liner is totally good. I will need to send to a pro as the work required to restore it to wearable condition is beyond my novice hands.) I tried again with a tougher Borso and the same result a soggy mess and ruined leather band. I would have loved to been able to have a weather tougher hat with me. The features of the felt and leather band, but one that could take some of the outdoors that I enjoy.

I too consider a Fed IV. I read the threads and hope to find the hat that would work.

................hmmm................................

Nice hats gents. The past few days dynamite hats on the forum.

Eric -

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I am glad that you mentioned this. I have been hesitant to share my negative experiences this summer with felted hats. Like your experience, I wore a Stetson 15 (50's tan) on a 3 day backpacking trip at our place out near Yellowstone and the leather band distintegrated and the felt became a real mess in the 1/2 day rains . The hat, upon my return, was not recognizable as a fedora. (For hat lovers-I have the hat body (felt) blocked and waiting for me to address further. Liner is totally good. I will need to send to a pro as the work required to restore it to wearable condition is beyond my novice hands.) I tried again with a tougher Borso and the same result a soggy mess and ruined leather band. I would have loved to been able to have a weather tougher hat with me. The features of the felt and leather band, but one that could take some of the outdoors that I enjoy.

I too consider a Fed IV. I read the threads and hope to find the hat that would work.

................hmmm................................

Nice hats gents. The past few days dynamite hats on the forum.

Eric -

Buy an Akubra. ANY Akubra and you will not have ANY problems :) I still wear one I bought 32 years ago. It's beat to hell by now but is STILL wearable :)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know what you guys mean. I have a Stetson 25 that I only wore a few times. The stitching that held the sweat band in disintegrated. I Still have not sent it off to have it put back in.
Either the Federation or the squatter will work fine. The squatter does have the larger brim.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I'm thinking a Squatter would work well. I like the look of the Moonstone one from David Morgan. Heck, I might even get the chinstrap too for those windy days.

I've worn my Campdraft on some warm hikes too and it is as good as new - actually better than new; takes a little while for these hats to become part of me! Those Akubras seem to be the toughest hats around.

Today, I'm hanging in Laconia, NH while Caren does hair and makeup for a wedding. By the lake with my Optimo.

smugshot2855179-L.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The color of that hat against the water in the background looks great. Awesome picture DJH!

Thanks Neo. It's a beautiful late summer day here. Great day to be in the NH Lakes Region. Fewer tourists than when we were photographing a wedding at this same location a few weeks ago.

MA - cool photo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot