Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
David, is that Silverbelly? What color is the ribbon & binding? Maybe it's because of the red brick behind you but that is the best photo representation of what Silverbelly should be that I have seen me thinks.

Hi HJ. I'd say the Courtney is more of a cream colour than Silverbelly, it's certainly a warmer tone than any of the "Silverbelly" hats that I have.

The ribbon and brim binding are rather similar to the felt, but somewhat darker.

The Courtney is a nice, well-made hat. I believe it is from the company that owned Champ hats - there is a thread on them around here somewhere.

Thanks for the other comments (and likers) too, guys!

Edit: Here's the Courtney thread which includes a couple of better pics of mine: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/courtney-hats.26650/

Cheers!
David - 21 Century Man

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Akubra Adventurer. This is about as close to an Indy bash as I have been able to get. Very frustrating:mad:

Hi HJ. I'd say the Courtney is more of a cream colour than Silverbelly, it's certainly a warmer tone than any of the "Silverbelly" hats that I have.
Thanks David! That certainly explains why it looks more like the old Silverbelly on my monitor; not too white but not too beige either. You have a nice looking hat & I really like the color!

ND1SU

New in Town
I would like to canvass the opinions of my fellow hat-wearers....

I prefer a stiffer hat, which is why I like bowlers and boaters. I wanted a stiff hat with a broad brim, but I couldn't find one at a reasonable price. Then I thought to look on eBay and found Pennsylvania Amish straw hats. Since I wear a beard without a mustache, it looked too Amish on me.

Incidentally, my brother thinks this is hilarious. When I wore my black porkpie hat to a Christmas family gathering:
  1. He kept calling me "Brother Yoder"
  2. He would ask me to pass something at the dinner table, then say, "Thank thee"
  3. He asked me if I had to go home to milk the cows.
I told him not to quit his day job....

Anyway, I bought a hat band for it, and it was narrower than I wanted it. I put it on anyway and took a selfie (unfortunately very low-resolution). So...your opinions please. If it looks ridiculous, please do not hesitate to say so.

NOTE: Photo taken using a mirror, so I know the band ornamentation appears on the wrong side.

hat_test_2016-09-12.jpg

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'm not any kind of a fashion guru; not at all. I say, if you like the hat then wear it. I like a boater straw hat on others but not for me, if that makes sense.

If you want to get away from the Amish look, though, you might look for a western or crossover hat like the Stetson Open Road (OR). I'm not keen on the cattlemens crease in a western hat so I look for a pinch front style with a tear drop or other crease on top.

A wide brim fedora always makes sense in my mind, and an Australian style outback hat is great too.

Finally, I don't let others comments bother me. I had a co-worker call me Juan Valdez (the coffee character for Colombian coffee bean growers and blended coffees) when I wore an Indy style fedora to work. I just laughed and said, Indiana Jones would be more correct. When I wear my Panama straw from Ecuador, you can call me Juan if you want, but it's still not quite correct.... he doesn't say much any more.

Great lid, ND1SU, and a very nice ribbon. I also never heed the opinions of others for making my fashion decisions, but I do try to think about the "audience" where I am going, and the image I want to project. With your style of facial hair under that hat, I'll bet you will get a lot of the Brother Yoder comments. But what's wrong with the good bro Yoder?! If I needed to choose a neighbor, I wouldn't hesitate to locate in an Amish community. Keep it!!

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many

I prefer a stiffer hat, which is why I like bowlers and boaters. I wanted a stiff hat with a broad brim, but I couldn't find one at a reasonable price. Then I thought to look on eBay and found Pennsylvania Amish straw hats. Since I wear a beard without a mustache, it looked too Amish on me.

Incidentally, my brother thinks this is hilarious. When I wore my black porkpie hat to a Christmas family gathering:
  2. He would ask me to pass something at the dinner table, then say, "Thank thee"

Anyway, I bought a hat band for it, and it was narrower than I wanted it. I put it on anyway and took a selfie (unfortunately very low-resolution). So...your opinions please. If it looks ridiculous, please do not hesitate to say so.

NOTE: Photo taken using a mirror, so I know the band ornamentation appears on the wrong side.

View attachment 56551

I say make your judgment based on confidence level in the hat. If you feel confident or develop confidence in the hat, it's a keeper. If the ribbon is the thing you're self conscious about, a new ribbon is a small matter =)

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 56551

I've been called worse , if it bothers you , I'd change it . But if it were me , and I liked it , I wouldn't let anything anyone said change my thoughts and likes . Yoder are some rich folks , so I'd take that as a compliment . They work hard , have businesses all over . Big Deal what anyone says , or thinks . People really just want to get your goat , if they can't , they'll let it go , and move on to victim #2 that they can . Your brother was just funning , but trying to hurt someones feelings is a sign of insecurity on his part , Really . He's jealous , and deep down wishes he had the guts to pull it off himself . Looks great to me . A guy earlier said I looked like Teddy Roosevelt . I said , I'll take that as a compliment . He said he meant it as one . I said Thank you . That was a first . Bully !

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I woke up today thinking "city slicker poses as ranch hand," apparently.

View attachment 56556

Stetson Premier Strat in the perfect shade of brown, with Bowie blasting in the background to maintain street cred.
Lol. Same thing. Suburban cowboy. Wearin an Open Road and lookin like I got lost on my way to the "dude" ranch...
So I had to put some horseshoes in my gauges.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 56551

It looks very fitting brother & the correct summer attire for our little community...............go in peace & may the fear of god be with you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner