Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nodding to Parker Melvin with two of my falcon parks this week so far.
Needed the extra bold boost of confidence this week. Oy.

1afc446253f6f96e3230d21ae74448bd.jpg

d66d6996cd9ded04281217f02b264dab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Fantastic color and soft looking finish Serge! I'm beginning to like these D'Aquino offerings. How is the quality and feel of this inky beauty?
Thanks Red,

Well the felt om my navy and mid grey D'Aquino is fairly soft and has a rich feel ( for lack of a better word) the lighter colors ( light grey, beige), feel thinner, flatter and stiffer.

Construction seems fine to me, though the brim binding on my light grey hat could have been finished a bit neater (see D'Aquino thread for photos)

All in all I find them great value for money. They are not on the same level as a custom hat from Esther for example. Finishing on those hats is much nicer.

Esther handled both the beige and mid grey hat. Maybe she can explain some of the differences. I think it has to do with the way the ribbon and sweat are stitched, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J510FN met Tapatalk

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Fantastic color and soft looking finish Serge! I'm beginning to like these D'Aquino offerings. How is the quality and feel of this inky beauty?

I agree with Serge's response. D'Aquino is a good value for a custom fur. The hand-feel of the two rabbit homburgs I purchased from Luisa are not as soft as a vintage American rabbit fur, but not as rough as an Akubra standard finish. My only complaint is that D'Aquino passes over some of the finer touches in order to keep production economical. Most notably, the brim binding on my homburgs overlaps in the back (a good 3/4") and it's tacked on using a rather large stitch, the liner is synthetic and is glued in (although a removable liner can also be provided), and the reed stitching on my gray hommie has begun to fray slightly. But all-in-all, D'Aquino's offerings are a good value and are very sturdy.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
WHWYWY="What hat were you wearing yesterday". I need this designation often. Not being a selfie pro with my phone, I have to process the old school way, Photoshop. For Valentines Day, I grabbed my modern Stetson Strat in Sage with a red shirt. We went out for a great Italian dinner so I switched to a great Italian Barbisio Homburg. The wife had a big chuckle over that!

View attachment 67573 View attachment 67574
Lends a new meaning to "eat your hat."

Thanks Red. As to date, I have no idea. I have been scrolling thru the 50+ pages of the Resistol thread and am no closer. The font/liner/sweat tell me 50's or earlier. No label remains in the hat for me to confirm. The imprint on the sweat Ten is a remaining clue. Still a mystery.

Eric -

Eric, I can't be of specific help here, but I believe in perusing the Resistol Roundup you will find a date range, perhaps early 50s, where they switched from that funky shaped "O" to the more standard one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ