Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
You forgot about the purely manly Lord Byron's Smokers Candle. If she'll agree to that then you can have a candle present. ;) :D
crystal_candles_lord_byrons_smokers.jpg

lol lol lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Our vintage dealers Jula and Roberto who go us jump started on vintage clothing and where Chuck got almost all of his pieces from, told us about lavender for keeping moths away from the wool things. There are lavender dryer sachets out here sold at the Trader Joe's markets. So we have those bags hanging on the hangers of the vintage wool clothing and keep them with the hats. BUT the hats don't end smelling like lavender!

Mr. Paladin said:
I don't see the guys at your construction sites appreciating hats that smell like lavender!;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
No green here - it's a very deep charcoal gray. But you are right about the felt, as it has a very smooth, velvety quality to it. Really beautiful. Reminds me a lot of the Antilope finish I have on another one of my hats.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin said:
Looking good, Colby Jack. Glad to see you here today. Hope all is going well.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Thank you Mr. Paladin...feeling pretty good right now...:D Of course a fedora adds to the therapy!lol

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
No green here - it's a very deep charcoal gray. But you are right about the felt, as it has a very smooth, velvety quality to it. Really beautiful. Reminds me a lot of the Antilope finish I have on another one of my hats.

Looks great, Mario!

Cheers,
JtL

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Jimmy. :)

BTW: A German hatter from Hamburg told me recently that, in the old days, they used shark fins (!) to achieve the Antilope finish, a special kind of felt treatment that used to be a trademark of German hat manufacturers. I don't know if this finish - and the technique to achieve it - is still in use these days.

Torpedo

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
Nope. Never had anyone recognize one of my straws as being anything different from one of the $10 - $40 Made In China jobs sold for yard or golf use. Oh well...

Hi, I would like to add to this...

It is the same for me.

Although some of my friends do detect there is something different in my hats, as compared to what is seen in the street, and make remarks as to them being specially nice or the like, and some of them are genuinely interested and ask about them...

...the greater part of people are utterly unable to distinguish real fur felt hats from the cheap wool or cloth lids available in shops, or well made straw hats from the beach hat or tourist hat quality counterparts. In many occasions my acquitances or relatives have pointed me to such hats and they sincerely see them as comparable to the ones I wear, and say so in good faith, because they really believe I could be interested in those.

I would say the only times they are truly forced into perceiving some difference is when I sport one of the more unique styles, like a bowler or a straw boater, and this is because these are so different from the mainstream.

And this is because this site is so specially treasured for me! Here I feel like at home in good company of like-minded people! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff