Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
RBH said:
I really wanted to be like Indycop and wear my panama today, but for some reason it just didnt feel right.

005kty.jpg

You know somethings wrong when I have more of the white stuff on the ground than Jimmy does! :D

Its a Bukaroo Hatters hat today.

Man you guys are getting a lot of snow - I'm jealous! (and nice hat!)

We're back to the normal winter rain, but today I'm wearing an early '40s Playboy regardless...or is it 'irregardless' ?!?

Scott <=== experienced first snow in Arkansas...at age 1

theinterchange

One Too Many
RBH said:
I really wanted to be like Indycop and wear my panama today, but for some reason it just didnt feel right.

You know somethings wrong when I have more of the white stuff on the ground than Jimmy does! :D

man, those Buckaroo Hats ALL look fantastic! :eusa_clap I may have to look into getting one someday soon.

Randy

rlk

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:

005kty.jpg

That hat looks great on you, just the right size and shape.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Pearl Excellent Quality Stetson

Very soft, slightly fuzzy fur - more like a nice old Borsalino than any other vintage Stetson I've handled. Absolutely mint sweatband and label.

ExcellentMe1.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Old Stetson 3X long-hair Dress hat

This one arrived bashed as a fedora and looked great, but after brushing, I re-bashed according to the original crease lines, and this is the result - the brim holds this look naturally - no need to snap. I had it dated as 1920's, but based on the sweat/liner logo and comparisons to 1905-15 photos, wondering now if it's older:

3XDressPPieMe.jpg

Dress3xLinerlogo.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Very soft, slightly fuzzy fur - more like a nice old Borsalino than any other vintage Stetson I've handled. Absolutely mint sweatband and label.

ExcellentMe1.jpg

Scott, that one was made for you!

Jimmie and Rusty, lookin good!

B

RBH

Bartender
Thanks Lefty!

Rob St.C, this felt is indeed thin. It makes a great summer fedora. Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks ScottF, I remember my mother telling me it snowed the day I was born. [March 12th... almost as far back as Tom Deans birth day]

Randy, you need to try you one. thanks, this has become a favorite!

RLK, this hat was blocked by Mike. I made the teardrop into a diamond, which really gives the side views a different look. Thanks !

Thank you T Smith and Buler!

RBH

Bartender
ScottF said:

ExcellentMe1.jpg
I have to say Scott that this style fedora looks fantastic on you.
you shape your hats very well!

Salty O'Rourke said:
With fedora bash - it's my utility hat for inclement weather days like this one.

4316842742_528eded737.jpg
[/CENTER]

Salty, thats a great hat for any weather! You sport it with style!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
RBH said:
I have to say Scott that this style fedora looks fantastic on you.
you shape your hats very well!

Thanks, Rusty - that's the original bash, but I thought it was perfect (thanks to some long-dead guy, wherever you are)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
This one arrived bashed as a fedora and looked great, but after brushing, I re-bashed according to the original crease lines, and this is the result - the brim holds this look naturally - no need to snap. I had it dated as 1920's, but based on the sweat/liner logo and comparisons to 1905-15 photos, wondering now if it's older:

3XDressPPieMe.jpg
A legitimate look but could have just been "bashed" and stored for some time like that rather than on purpose...

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
A legitimate look but could have just been "bashed" and stored for some time like that rather than on purpose...

Yes, it's possible the previous owner gave it a perfect telescope bash and then stored it. Also possible it's a Borsalino with a vintage Stetson liner and sweatband. Or, a master hatter's effort at using 2009 materials to create a perfect replica of a vintage hat. Heck, it might even be a furry dress that got caught in a blender and against all odds, popped out reconstructed as a hat.

...or :eusa_doh: it could be a very old hat that was originally bashed as a telescope, as the crease lines would indicate.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Yes, it's possible the previous owner gave it a perfect telescope bash and then stored it. Also possible it's a Borsalino with a vintage Stetson liner and sweatband. Or, a master hatter's effort at using 2009 materials to create a perfect replica of a vintage hat. Heck, it might even be a furry dress that got caught in a blender and against all odds, popped out reconstructed as a hat.

...or :eusa_doh: it could be a very old hat that was originally bashed as a telescope, as the crease lines would indicate.
My Dobbs C/C had telescope(crooked) crease lines dominant, but it was from storage while the hat was crushed down. Set a soft hat on its crown and it will telescope....I had a telescoped Derby as well.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
My Dobbs C/C had telescope(crooked) crease lines dominant, but it was from storage while the hat was crushed down. Set a soft hat on its crown and it will telescope....

I give up

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whatever the bash originally was, it is a sharp hat and this we can agree on.

Scott, waiting for you to post info on that stetson excellent :D

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Garrett said:
Whatever the bash originally was, it is a sharp hat and this we can agree on.

Thanks. As I said, "I give up".

This particular hat was one I've been dying to find - I now have examples of the basic models for each of the 20's-30's qualities (except for 'Extra', which only Douglas has to my knowledge), so I'm finally in a position to provide my own analysis of the felt of each. Granted, if for instance my 'Select' is from 1920 and my 'No.1' is from 1935, then the felt might have changed some over that period, but I think I can give a pretty good analysis now.

I intend to post that on my web-site and provide links to those who have provided input into the project. It will be very esoteric stuff, but if you want to know more about early (pre-40) Stetsons, I intend for it to be the place to go.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Garrett said:

I just took pics and will add it to the pre-40s Stetson Dress thread. The most interesting part is the size/block label. Notice the word 'Pearl' written on the leather. It's a 7 1/8, but just a tad tight - taking to Tony for a tiny stretch.

StetExcSBlockTag.jpg

I'm hesitant to post too many more pics, as I'm restructuring my photo files to prepare for the new website. Don't want everyone having to look at a bunch of those tiny blue boxes.

Is there any way we can get 'edit' back for older threads, so we can clean up some of that stuff? It would go a long way toward making some of the threads a bit more useful for research.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
After seeing you in those last two mug shots, I give up too! Those lids are just fabulous, especially the black Stetson.

Thanks Craig. I've become a pre-1940 Stetson addict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy